This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

I Want You!

Join Symphony X and discover tons of other great Metal forums, sign up today!

Symphony X's future

Discussion in 'Symphony X (Unofficial)' started by Matt, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Matt

Matt Active Member

You must not care about songwriting.

Agreed. I still listen to their older albums from time to time, as well as a few songs off PL.

Again, the production is not what makes or breaks IC (or any other album of theirs). I can enjoy incredibly over-produced work if the songwriting is great. Bal-Sagoth's The Chthonic Chronicles is an example of this. Symphonic black metal genius with super tight production.

2. Kenneth R.

Kenneth R. Cináed

Yeah. What a waste.

3. Phanto

Phanto Alalalalalalalala.

I think 2011 was a pretty shitty year. Here's my top list from the 2011 thread:
    The best super-mainstream release was Adele's 21.

I don't even have Iconoclast in my music library.

4. Postulate

Postulate Have a nice day! :)

Ha ha, me either...I must confess I never bought it.

5. Kenneth R.

Kenneth R. Cináed

For you, maybe. It wouldn't make the top 900 for me.

6. Detective Clarence Beauregard

While I wouldn't necessarily say that's true with PL, I definitely think they were really going for a younger demographic with IC. Immature lyrics in songs like Dehumanized and Bastards prove it, as do the "we are [...]" choruses of the title track, Lords, and Reign.

7. Sauna

Sauna Member

They weren't going for a demographic, I'm convinced that Russell is just going through a mid-life crisis or some shit and it's affecting the lyrics. Not just the ones on Iconoclast, but the ones on Atomic Soul, Paradise Lost and Omerta as well.

8. Phanto

Phanto Alalalalalalalala.

Innovative arrangements, instruments used (flutes! hammond! mello! violin! fretless; contrabass!), vocal harmonies and strong melodies. Songs that break conventions (e.g. break lose from verse/chorus structures; split into movements/parts; conceptual music). That's what I generally look for in music. A song which is very calm and mellow is not automatically boring to me. In fact, it usually makes it easier for the ear to spot these things I like.

I also enjoy heavy music. But I prefer when that heavy music differs from this: Verse: chugga-chugga riff - Bridge: breakout - Chorus: melodic highpoint of a song. Many prog/power/nu/heavy metal bands and lately SX (iconoclast) are examples where this structure is prominent. That structure, to me, makes for a "boring" song.

Feather from Ghost, or Deform to Form a Star from Grace for Drowning, are more interesting to me than any song SX has put out the last 11 years.

Here's a pretty representative picture of what I've been listening to the last 7 years or so: http://www.last.fm/user/phantomax (I didn't scrobble songs in between 2011-2012 or something, though). I've gone from listening to a lot of Therion, Symphony X and Blind Guardian, to more varied stuff. Less "nuclear blast/popular metal" and more classical, folk, prog, pop, death, black -- more varied music. Because I find the things I mentioned in the first paragraph to be a lot more prominent when looking more broadly.

Here's my top 10 plays of the last 3 months.

Kate Bush – Nocturn
    Ghost – Elizabeth
    Anathema – Leave No Trace
    Green Carnation – Light of Day, Day of Darkness
    Kate Bush – Aerial
    Ghost – Stand by Him
    Van der Graaf Generator – House With No Door
    Savatage – Man in the Mirror
    Sieges Even – Lighthouse
    Ghost – Death Knell

Unless you think all of those songs are really good, then I'm not a good reference, no. I honestly don't think I'm a good reference for many people on Ultimate Metal.

9. Kenneth R.

Kenneth R. Cináed

^^^ Couldn't agree more. Throw in weak, cliche lyrics to the "chugga chugga" band and they fall off the map for me.

I love metal. I love it heavy as fuck and vicious. But I too am not a good reference for most of Ultimate Metal's users.

Here's what I wrote in 2011: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/symphonyx/739827-2011-albums-2.html#post10115472 and http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/symphonyx/739827-2011-albums-3.html#post10119384

I think a lot of people here on this site in general favor metal bands just because they're metal bands. A scene love thing. Support metal, look on the positive side, don't analyze or criticize too much. Let people have their fun and don't point out anything negative. That's not my cup of tea. Lately, a lot of metal has gone sour from the influence of 'nu metal' and its tendrils into other genres. The whole 'modern' movement is doing to metal what dance music is doing to pop, and they're tangentially related phenomena.

Anyway, for me, music is music, good is good and bad is bad, no matter whose name is on the credits and no matter what genre it is.

10. prman

prman Member

This is what people should remember: some music is good IN YOUR OPINION and some music is bad IN YOUR OPINION. Anyone shouldn´t be surprised that if you have an opinion about something, somebody is going to have equally strong opposite opinion. And both have great argumentation for theirs.

Enjoy what you think is good and don´t dwell on the bad. There´s plenty of great music for everyone nowadays.

11. Kenneth R.

Kenneth R. Cináed

And different ways of spelling differant. :p Hint: your way is wrong.
    I do agree about Devin though.

Exactly. This is why I don't listen to IC, and picked up other stuff instead of commiserating.

12. donKyle

donKyle Member

2011 did give us Omnium Gatherum's New World Shadows

13. Sauna

Sauna Member

Ghost is on and off, but Grace for Drowning is superb. It's even better than Iconoclast in my opinion too.

14. Kenneth R.

Kenneth R. Cináed

Better than Iconoclast is like saying it's better than Death Magnetic. :lol: 'Course it is!

SW's best stuff recently has been The Incident.

15. Marwen

Marwen Five Align

New SX (i.e. PL & IC) is not THAT bad. Comparing it to new Metallica is bs imo.

Although I agree with what you said about the whole 'modern' movement.

+1 I don't see the point from the continued bashing.

Oh and Porcupine Tree is great.

16. Sauna

Sauna Member

For what it is, Iconoclast is among the very best out there (not the kind of stuff everyone here likes, I do get that). The same can't be said about Death Magnetic.

The Incident is good of course, but Grace for Drowning is better.

17. Kenneth R.

Kenneth R. Cináed

very best nu metal? :lol:

Grace for Drowning is great. I just like the songs on The Incident more.

18. Sauna

Sauna Member

I don't think it's fair to call it nu-metal, but if that's where you want to place it then it definitely stands above most its peers.

19. Marwen

Marwen Five Align

If this

is what nu metal sounds like, then I'm happily a nu metal listener.

#159 Marwen, Mar 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
  20. ElvenShadow

ElvenShadow Guilty Gear

Nu-metal? LOL... Ken, I know you have your own, very strong opinions and you like to debate and what not, but that last post just reeks of "bait and troll."