This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Tell me about Dark Suns

Discussion in 'Non-Opeth Music Chat' started by batmura, Jan 30, 2009.

1. batmura

batmura Sea of Tranquility

They seem to have several albums. Someone said they're kinda like Opeth with more keys and no growls. A more detailed description would be appreciated. Also what are their best albums?

Cheers!

2. Arasmas

Arasmas New Metal Member

i haven't heard them, but i can use my ~PSYCHIC POWERS~ to deduce some basic facts about them:

1. they aren't like opeth at all
    2. they blow

3. dwoakee

dwoakee Suboptimization Expert

i bought "swanlike" and "grave human genuine" last year and i can tell you something about them without using psychic powers:

1. "swanlike" sounds somewhat like a cross between MAYH era Opeth with My Dying Bride. In the beginning, it's more like Opeth and in the end it's more like My Dying Bride. With Opeth's MAYH it shares the melodic, atmospheric approach, long multi-part songs, many soft-heavy changes, clean and growl vocals, acoustic/distorted guitars. However, "Swanlike" is - on the average - slower, a little less aggressive, and has less riffage than MAYH.
    2. they are pretty good. their playing on the album is good, production is good, growls are good, compositions are good. not the brilliant super-heros like Opeth but definitely worthwhile.

3. "grave human genuine" is a completely different affair. i can't compare it to other bands, maybe the new influences come from "pain of salvation", whom they have met in the meantime and whose bassist is helping them out since 2006. GHG is definitely more proggish, less heavy, more rhythm-oriented, less growls. but also an interesting listen.

4. batmura

batmura Sea of Tranquility

Thanks man. I just saw Existence available. How does it compare to the others? Should I pick it up?

5. dwoakee

^I don't know. I only have swanlike and grave human genuine.

6. dwoakee

7. SerenityNow!

SerenityNow! *burp*

Great band!!

dwoakee is right on. Swanlike definitely has an Opeth vibe to it. Existence is completely different, and has no growls. It has clean and whispered vocals, and much less agressive. It has more of a Damnationesque, or Riverside/PT sound (that I can remember,, as I don't own this one). Hard to describe. Most people find it to be their weekest album, but I like it. Probably pick it up at some point. Grave Human Genuine is completely different, as they've definitely seemed to have found their own sound. Growls are back, but not as gutteral, and not as often. This newest album has definitely put them into a more post-metal/post-rock type of sound. I think this is a great album, and very unique.

They only have 3 albums. In order of my favs...
    1. Swanlike
    2. Grave Human Genuine
    3. Existence

8. Liquid Tension

I like this one the best...

Swanlike is the one I don't reach to listen to since Opeth does this style better...

9. Kenneth R.

Kenneth R. Cináed

10. Frodo's Bulk

Frodo's Bulk New Metal Member

this is ungood

11. Wander

Wander 10+2=6

Sounds interesting enough to check out.

12. awree

awree New Metal Member

I find the vocals are a bit.. upsetting (Only listened to Grave Human Genuine), but The Chameleon Defect is just pure gold on so many levels.

13. BloodSword

BloodSword Member

GHG is not a bad album. In fact, it's fairly good. They just seem to not finish their musical ideas. Start something real good and then they just meander. For me, GHG is not a cohesive album. As far as "finding their own sound", well if this band doesn't reek of POS, then people aren't listening. And someone tell me what that clusterfuck is in either, "Thornchild" or "Amphibian Halo"?

14. Phoenix5

Phoenix5 d3v4s7a710n

Existence is by far the best. They're closer to Pain of Salvation than Opeth or MDB