This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The Ascendence update thread

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

HAHA! Sounds like every DVD we've ever done where there were no cameras on the person we really wanted to see the most at the time! :p

2. Goreripper

Goreripper Metal as fuck

Or like the DVD of Alive in Athens

3. Lord Tim

I think that was done on purpose, judging by how... er... not real it was! ;)

Every live album/DVD gets touched up these days.

We had to do it with ours due to all kinds of tech problems (remember Andy's bass dying or TY getting his hair caught in his headphones, or Mav's amp feeding back at the Metro show, everyone? Not an issue on the night because you're there and enjoying the vibe regardless but for an album you're selling to people, it's not a good way to give them value for money when there's big flaws in the show) and I don't think there's anything really wrong with fixing a couple of bum notes or bad timing that would otherwise ruin a great performance - again, on the night you wouldn't care, but when you have the ability to replay that dud note 100 times again and again, it stops being an "in the moment" thing and becomes "agh, that sounds like shit".

If you're gonna do any touching up and re-recording and plan to sync it to video, make sure you're not doing something entirely different when the camera is on you or it becomes a bit of a giveaway... ;)

4. MetGreen

MetGreen KFC Maniac!!!

That reminded me of Ashley Simpson the other year, fucked up on National Television trying to lip sync. And then after the break she turns around and blames the band for playing the wrong song. What an idiot.

5. sadisticsatyr

sadisticsatyr Young Apprentice

^^ That intelligence runs in her family from what i've seen....

Personally, if im watchin a band live, its because i want to see what they are capable of in terms of raw musicianship + amplification....basically.

Fuckups in a live DVD i actually like to see, so long as the entire gig turns out to be worthwhile being recorded, distributed, and bought...

6. Lord Tim

That's one of the good things about bootlegs, you do get to see that stuff, which is sometimes pretty cool :)

7. les_paul

les_paul Member

any news on an international release date yet, LT?

8. Lord Tim

Not yet, still talking to people. :)

9. les_paul

les_paul Member

ok. doesn't really matter to me, i'm waiting for my eBay pack :heh:

it just would be cool to tell people here about it, i'll wait until it's available in stores though

10. Lord Tim

Trust me, once we have something final and in writing with our signatures all over it, you'll be sick of hearing about us talking about it. ;)

11. Lord Tim

I'm working on the "wide dynamic range" version of the album now (see the Loudness War thread for what this is all about) and while I'm waiting for songs to bounce to disk, I had a read back through this thread.

The last frantic days were so insane! Just reading back what I wrote is making me cringe at how desperate things were getting towards the end and I still have no idea how we managed to pull this off!

So if anyone is bored and reads back to the songwriting process at the start, now that you have the album, wanna see how we went as far as describing the songs? I think the initial thoughts and goals when we were writing them actually ended up pretty close to the final product (which is pretty cool since the songs did develop a bit since the initial songwriting, and then to the demo stage, and then to the actual album recording).

12. Nebulous

Nebulous Daniel

Just out of curiosity, how many (constant) rhythm guitar tracks were used on Ascendence?

If answering that is too much along the lines of: "well, there were 20 tracks for this part of this song, and 16 for this part", then I'll re-phrase it to an easier question, how many were used in the first verse of Reborn? :p

I like that the production is finaly as good as the music.

13. Lord Tim

Generally 2 per song continuously, BUT a good chunk of a lot of the songs had a 3rd part through the bulk of them, plus clean guitars quietly underneath, so maybe 4 or 5 for the most part?

It's all of the incidental parts which add up. Like Reborn in the main riff has about 6 guitars, then you add in the chorus which has about 8. Legacy has about 6 or 7 going at once for main riffs or accents. That's without the solos or harmonies or smaller accents, etc.

For just the first verse of Reborn, the triplet chunks were just played with 2 guitars panned 90% left, 90% right.