This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The Books/Reading Thread

Discussion in 'GMD Social Forum' started by Matt, May 16, 2007.

1. Blurry_Dreams

Blurry_Dreams Active Member

did you read the thing on my wattpad page yet??

2. Arkhasil89

Arkhasil89 Hooded Misfit

"Read" is too strong of a word, I'd say I glanced over it :p
    But don't worry, I will them read with more attention later today, that's a promise!

3. Blurry_Dreams

ha
    guess i wasn't paying attention to how long it
    what i wrote was story-outlines for a short-story-collection
    what I'm planning on doing is making enough of the short-stories so that the word-count for all the stories combined adds up to the word-count of a novel

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=standard+lenght+word+count+for+a+novel

4. TageRyche

TageRyche Active Member

Michael Connelly's most recent book in his Lincoln Lawyer series started in December as the pandemic was first making news internationally and ended as it was becoming first full blown in California.

And in The Cellist, both the just past president and the pandemic definitely play roles. A lot of authors in the cozy mystery genre are either ignoring the pandemic or setting it after it has subsided.

5. TageRyche

TageRyche Active Member

There's also the fact that people don't really want to have their fiction continue the unrelenting horror show that their reality has become. I am active on a couple of popular mystery blog communities and the authors there have been talking about how to incorporate, or not, the pandemic. The overwhelming response from the communities has been that of ignore it or mention it in passing as an "after the fact" thing but not to set the stories in the middle of it.

Slammed likes this.
  6. TageRyche

TageRyche Active Member

They are quite spry for old guys, no? :D

7. Slammed

Slammed Active Member

The Good Doctor (the American version) handled the pandemic well in the midst of writing, but you're right it's not a topic everyone wants to compete with. There has been plenty of pandemic books over the years, some strangely close to what's going on in the world currently, but if you're going to write something specifically covid you're going to need to be extremely factual, or it's mentioned in passing.

Tropes like vampires and zombies, or vampire love stories, or zombie vampire lover stories (respect all communities and who they love!) were such hot property a few years back that many publishers wanted them and couldn't get them. But after a few years of them being popular on TV and the like it took many publishers and book companies several years to catch up, then they became inundated with them the it became over populated.

The trick as an author, and it's a bloody good one if you can pull it off, is to pick what is going to be popular in about 2 years and write about that, then you can be one of the first, not one of the last.

8. Blurry_Dreams

@TageRyche

i love Connolly's Harry Bosch novels but i haven't yet read the Lincoln layer series

i love reading those open-ended-book-series where a single person ends up being the principal-protagonist in 20-30 individual books
    but i don't really like the "cozy-mystery' type books

i love Harry Bosch, Lincoln Rhyme, Anita Blake, Drizzt Do'Urden, Rachel Morgan, Stephanie Plumb, Richard Rahl

and i did read a book taking place "after the pandemic" where the corona-virus mutated in such a way that it became lethal to males and all the females became asymptomatic carriers, it was really just one of these https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Man_on_Earth but done really annoyingly with a horrible #metoo slant, even referencing the metoo hashtag as a historical event happening "right before all the males died"
    it was so feminist-slant that i couldn't get all the way through it and i can't even remember the name of it

also i just kinda always assumed that there'd be at some point a book-form of this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_in_the_Time_of_Corona
    where the whole freaking plot is just characters having to deal with the frustrations of the lock-downs, shelter-in-place orders, awesome night-clubs getting shut down, social distancing inside stores being annoying for people going inside the store in groups, and people bitching that they can't breathe while wearing the corona-virus masks etc etc etc

9. Blurry_Dreams

@TageRyche

i love Connolly's Harry Bosch novels but i haven't yet read the Lincoln layer series

i love reading those open-ended-book-series where a single person ends up being the principal-protagonist in 20-30 individual books
    but i don't really like the "cozy-mystery' type books

i love Harry Bosch, Lincoln Rhyme, Anita Blake, Drizzt Do'Urden, Rachel Morgan, Stephanie Plumb, Richard Rahl

and i did read a book taking place "after the pandemic" where the corona-virus mutated in such a way that it became lethal to males and all the females became asymptomatic carriers, it was really just one of these https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Man_on_Earth but done really annoyingly with a horrible #metoo slant, even referencing the metoo hashtag as a historical event happening "right before all the males died"
    it was so feminist-slant that i couldn't get all the way through it and i can't even remember the name of it

also i just kinda always assumed that there'd be at some point a book-form of this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_in_the_Time_of_Corona
    where the whole freaking plot is just characters having to deal with the frustrations of the lock-downs, shelter-in-place orders, awesome night-clubs getting shut down, social distancing inside stores being annoying for people going inside the store in groups, and people bitching that they can't breathe while wearing the corona-virus masks etc etc etc

10. Blurry_Dreams

:D