This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. Just a heads up... In the next week or two we will be making some major upgrades to the site to bring the software and server fully up to date. While the upgrade happens the site will be offline for the day. There will be some quirkiness after the upgrade, but we'll get it all sorted out.
    Dismiss Notice

The Books/Reading Thread

Discussion in 'GMD Social Forum' started by Matt, May 16, 2007.

1. dvzk-cece

dvzk-cece Occult Schizophrenia

I recently got the first volume of Claymore and really digging the Witcher vibe it has. Read up to the first scene so far and for how minimalist it is, its got a lot of impact. Not quite like Berserk, but it still has a lot of cool movements.

2. TageRyche

TageRyche Active Member

I finished reading an advance copy of the Christmas themed novella collection CHRISTMAS SCARF MURDER. It's got stories by Carlene O'Connor, Maddie Day and Peggy Ehrhart. The first two authors I am a big fan of while I hadn't read anything by Peggy Ehrhart before. I ended up enjoying each of the stories overall. You can check out my thoughts on the book via this Goodreads link.

I got one copy of this one from author Maddie Day, so that is signed by her. The publisher ended up sending me a second copy and when I had lunch with Maddie Day about a month or so ago, she signed that for a friend of mine.

3. Einherjar86

Einherjar86 Active Member

IT'S HERE. I'm super psyched, just started this morning and I'm feeling the old pull. No idea where this is going, and I'm not reading anything about it ahead of time.

[​IMG]

#5103 Einherjar86, Oct 29, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2022
  4. TageRyche

TageRyche Active Member

5. Einherjar86

They simply thought that the world had ended. It hardly even occurred to them that it had anything to do with the war. They carried their skin bundled up in their arms before them like wash that it not drag in the rubble and ash and they passed one another mindlessly on their mindless journeyings over the smoking afterground, the sighted no better served than the blind. The news of all this did not even leave the city for two days. Those who survived would often remember these horrors with a certain aesthetic to them. In that mycoidal phantom blooming in the dawn like an evil lotus and in the melting of solids not heretofore known to do so stood a truth that would silence poetry a thousand years. Like an immense bladder, they would say. Like some sea thing. Wobbling slightly on the near horizon. Then the unspeakable noise.

That's the McCarthy I remember. Fuck.

6. no country for old wainds

i'm gonna get my dad that for christmas and then slyly borrow it from him once he's done.

Einherjar86 likes this.
  7. TageRyche

TageRyche Active Member

I finished reading the Joyce St. Anthony mystery novel DEATH ON A DEADLINE. Here's my Goodreads review.

The LAST issue of Mystery Scene magazine was published recently. I have a couple of reviews in that issue and I have the final word in the Letters to the Editor section as well. The online version of that section was put online but it is out of order from how it was printed in the magazine.

8. TageRyche

TageRyche Active Member

9. Einherjar86

Finished The Passenger and Stella Maris, have some thoughts. I'm toying with the idea of submitting a review somewhere, we'll see if I can finish it quickly enough. Too many other items on the checklist, alas. SM was a bit of a letdown, personally. The Passenger was good, I thought, although I'm sure it won't appeal much to non-McCarthy fans.

Honestly, way better than either of the new McCarthy books was this superb debut novel from Julia Armfield, whose short fiction I quite enjoy:

[​IMG]

Armfield writes a beautiful and unsettling form of weird fiction, usually with strong currents of sexual disorientation and understated body horror. Our Wives is narrated by Miri and Leah, a married couple who are separated for months when Leah's marine expedition is inexplicably stranded on the bottom of the sea. Leah's narrative tells what happens under the water, and Miri's tells of the strange things that happen upon Leah's return. It's a fantastic novel.

10. TageRyche

TageRyche Active Member

I finished reading the 2018 Bradley Harper mystery A Knife in the Fog. It was a fantastic read. You can check out my review HERE!

11. Bloopy

Bloopy Active Member

I just read Lord of the Flies since I'd never read it. A bit different to how I imagined it unfolding in places. A piggy washed out to sea - what a waste of pork.

First time I'd tried reading an ebook, just on my desktop PC. Actually didn't mind reading that way.

12. Slammed

Slammed Active Member

I hate reading books on the PC or laptop, yet I don't mind reading them on an 8inch tablet.

13. TageRyche

TageRyche Active Member

I have had a number of authors offer me ebook versions of their novels for free but I have to turn them down. I can't read longform stuff on a computer screen for some reason.

CiG likes this.
  14. Slammed

Slammed Active Member

Doesn't matter what format I get books sent to me in I always convert them to epub, stick them on an SD card and then put the card in my Windows tablet. I spend enough of the day looking at a computer screen, the tablet feels less like work, besides it's easier to handle on the crapper.