This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Join the Chaos

Want to join in with the rest of the Hate Crew? Sign up today!

The Children Of Bodom Gear Thread

Discussion in 'Children Of Bodom' started by <-Warheart->, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Works0fheart

Works0fheart Member

I personally think the ABQ sounds a bit better. I really don't care for the rythm tone much though. It sounds very rubbery/not percussive enough. Maybe there's not enough gain? In your description it says the boost is on 50% whereas I think someone pointed out to me recently that Alexi used to run his maxed out.

2. SIND

SIND Member

The ABQ definitely has more gain on tap than the MM-04 and has more low end, for sure. I would have to attribute that to Alexi always saying he wanted more low end and more gain out of his tones and that was one reason why he veered away from the GP1000, even after they were modded on AYDY. Makes sense that the EMG ALX set would try to remedy those issues. As far as the gain goes, I'm pretty certain that I've read/seen in the manuals that Alexi ran his boosts at 50%-80% boost depending on what rig he was running through. The early COB/Sinergy stuff isn't as distorted as one might think, especially when it's not being supported by a full band mix. I think a lot of that honestly just came from the fact that Alexi picked extremely hard. I am going to do another little comparison video, but I'll be running it through my GP1000/SP1000 once I get a loadbox. Hopefully, it will yield a closer tone to what we are searching for!

3. Whiteknuckle Deathgrip

Thanks man! I just saw JE-1000 clone on reverb.com with a different pcb. I might check that out. But I'm currently settled with the EMG HZ-H4A and ESP MM-04, which is so nice, that I've decided to sell my overdrive pedals.

4. Arystar

Arystar Kissing In The Shadows

this is how the ones from RR480 look like :
    I truly hope he will make new clones :) these were EXCELLENT quality. Same make as jacksons with newer high quality parts.
    and non-invasive for the guitar since the jumper setting could let you choose between push pull pot or seperate button.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Zman likes this.
  5. Arystar

also
    Can someone please ask Mitch to add settings for the Rocktron rack gear to the main post?

6. Whiteknuckle Deathgrip

Yeah, that is the exact one i saw just few weeks ago. I hope i can get my hands on either one of those or the ALX set for my next guitar.

7. NewHewkas

NewHewkas Scheiße Gitarre Spieler

Did you guys see, how beaten up was the longer wing of the Wildchild RR in the Making of ETID Video? I was truly surprised, always thought it was Alexi's "apple of his eye".

8. Works0fheart

Works0fheart Member

Yeah. He's said a few times that he beats the shit out of his guitars so I'm not surprised.

9. Whiteknuckle Deathgrip

Yeah, that's the punk rocker in him. He just saw them as his tools. Of course he was happy wirh them, but I suspect he had more than one of each one made.
    Like the black Sawtooth was all busted up, and then he got a new one. I posted pictures of it a while back. COBs pyrotechnics guy and stage tech Ari has owned that one for 14 years, but Alexi was still seen playing a Sawtooth. Yeah the same one that was the drop C guitar for Chaos Ridden Years.

10. Zman

Zman O.X.Y.

Correct.
    If we only talk about the Japanese shape he used live and in the studio, he had 3 Scythe, 2 Sawtooth and 3 Pink Sawtooth.
    The other models he only had one of (except the Wild Scythe for which he had an E-II version as well).

11. Whiteknuckle Deathgrip

Do you have a complete list of which guitars Alexi had? If yes, please post it in the gear thread. It needs updating :)

Edit: this is the gear thread :rofl:

Zman likes this.
  12. Zman

Zman O.X.Y.

Not a complete list but here are the guitars I know, mainly the japanese shaped ESP signature models, he had. All Custom Shop unless stated otherwise.

1 Arrowhead from 2003
    1 Scythe from 2003 (destroyed)
    1 Sawtooth from 2004 (given to Ari)
    1 Katakana (standard) from 2006
    2 Pink Sawtooth from 2007
    1 Pink Sawtooth from ??? (2007 I assume)
    1 Scythe (standard) from 2008
    1 Blacky from 2009
    1 Scythe from 2011
    1 Sawtooth from 2011
    1 Greeny from 2013
    1 Wild Scythe from 2016
    1 E-II Wild Scythe from 2016 I assume
    1 Hexed from 2019 (received in 2020 but built in 2019)
    1 Ripper Sawtooth from 2020

And he also had a bunch of other axes around, US version of his signature models (some given away) + some others such as ESP Arrow, Eclipse, SV NT (given to Jussi), ESP SV Standard, etc.

13. Whiteknuckle Deathgrip

Just gotta show you guys this.
    I sold off my gaming PC, bc I'm too old for that and I'd rather just focus all my available freetime into guitar. Sooo, I'm back in rack, baby!
    Got two Velocity 300 for the price of one, and if any of you guys need it, I'll gladly pass on the good deal i got.
    I sold the E530 to a guy back in 2018, and last week i asked him if he still had it. He did, and he asked if I'd be interested in getting it back. I was, and now it's here again :)
    Friend of mine has a TC G-Major with broken encoder knobs, that I can have for free, so now i just need to trade my 2U case for a 4U, and see if anyone wants to trade their cab for my PV Bandit.

Thanks man! Thats amazing! I didn't realize there were 3 pinkies made :)

Edit: can't upload pictures all of a sudden. Somehow file is too large.

#3293 Whiteknuckle Deathgrip, May 3, 2021
    Last edited: May 3, 2021
    Zman likes this.
  14. KISSINGTHESHADOW

KISSINGTHESHADOW KISSINGTHESHADOW

Interesting question, is it possible to take a tube preamp, and have it built into a tube head?

15. Whiteknuckle Deathgrip

Yes it probably is, but why? Why not just couple it to a poweramp? If its just for the look of a head there are some places that make a 19" case in tolexed wood.

What i desire most in this world is Marshall responding to my emails, and just stop making stupid "lifestyle products".
    Or more manufacturers coming back to 19" rack stuff, as there are just not that many options left out there.

16. KISSINGTHESHADOW

I was just curious if it’s possible. I do think it would look cool though.

17. KISSINGTHESHADOW

I tried searching, was Alexi using the HZ-H2/a or H4/a?

18. Arystar

anyone noticed there are no Edwards/ESP guitars to be found on ebay anymore?
    it's like they all went up in smoke lol.
    Was looking for an edwards sawtooth (regular, I already own pink)

19. KISSINGTHESHADOW

There’s a presale on reverb. But they won’t be ready until end of January 2022 if I recall

Works0fheart likes this.
  20. Works0fheart

Works0fheart Member

They're out of production at the moment and given the circumstances they're just selling super quick whenever one does pop up.