This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Join the Chaos

Want to join in with the rest of the Hate Crew? Sign up today!

The Children Of Bodom Gear Thread

Discussion in 'Children Of Bodom' started by <-Warheart->, Mar 18, 2008.

1. ==>Mask Of Sanity<==

Sound gurus… how’s the tone?

Works0fheart likes this.
  2. Norbix

Norbix Member

It's probably as close as you can get with that gear. But nothing accurately achieves Alexi's tone except the lee jackson preamp, imo.

3. MaximHateCrew

MaximHateCrew ~ Needled 24/7 ~

4. NewHewkas

NewHewkas Scheiße Gitarre Spieler

Hey guys!

What do you think of this: https://www.thomann.de/hu/jackson_js32_mah_rhoads_natural.htm ?

I'm really a fan of this finish with the gold hardware. However, I tried the BWB version of it at a guitar centre near me and it did not impress me, (probably should not compare to a more high-end product like an RR24:D...) the neck with this Amaranth fretboard was an interesting wood to touch, I would prefer something different tbh (Also the guitar was freshly taken out from it's cardboard box in front of me. Maybe, that was also a problem)
    Btw, interestingly I like the pickguard on the MAH version it adds to the look. I generally dislike pickguards on RRs, such as the BWB I only tried it because I like the idea of the white bevels so if I ever buy one I would definitely change the white pg to black or something.

Also, that +30€ extra bugs me, a bit.

5. Muffin

Muffin Dusk..

6. MattK

MattK Member

Jackson’s always have felt cheap to me, especially that is like their low end series. I’d save up and get something better if possible..

MaximHateCrew likes this.
  7. SIND

SIND Member

So incredible to see it after so many years!

8. Sany

Sany Member

So cool, Guitar looks a bit used :D

9. Saggitarius_a

Saggitarius_a New Metal Member

From Facebook Group
    ESP & LTD Guitars

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    1. The "Ripped" model was initially called the "Ripper Sawtooth"
    2. Alexi's first ESP was designed based on the Kai Hansen signature ESP model(RV-280KH) at that time.
    (The first two Alexi models that went into production are the Arrow Head and the Scythe, the Arrow Head was called RV-350AL, and the Scythe was called RV-398AL)
    3. The "Katakana" model was designed by Kai Saarikko(head of MUSAMAAILMA) because he likes Japanese culture and stuff.
    *The inlays on the 12th fret are written in Katakana (a type of Japanese characters used for spelling foreign languages)
    The letters "アレキシ" are pronounced as "A-RE-KI-SHI" (Alexi)
    (Ok, this has nothing to do with the Ripped and Hexed, but since it was mentioned in the interview I might as well just share it.)
    4. The "Ripped" model was developed by both Alexi and ESP Guitars Finland(MUSAMAAILMA)
    The aesthetics were designed by the social media manager of MUSAMAAILMA, and the neck single-coil pickup was Alexi's idea.
    Kai Saarikko recalled that Alexi mentioned he wanted a neck pickup for some clean stuff.
    5. During Bodom After Midnight's recording session, Alexi tried out a lot of different guitars, he and all his bandmates all agreed that the "Ripped" model sounded the best.
    (So it seems very likely that the only EP they've released was recorded with that guitar.)
    6. The "Hexed" model was developed by "ESP USA". Tony Rauser of ESP USA talked to Alexi back in 2019 about the idea of designing a guitar based on the last Children of Bodom album "Hexed" artwork.
    Alexi played the "Hexed" model on Bodom After Midnight's debut show.

Works0fheart, Zman and NewHewkas like this.
  10. BtownNinja

BtownNinja New Metal Member

Very cool. Thank you for posting!

I'm super excited to get my hands on these. I went with the E-II Ripped and LTD Hexed. PERSONALLY, I would have liked to see the hexed full art similar to the "I Worship Chaos", but I still really dig the purple on purple. Lack of stainless steel frets is a bummer and the white inlays are a little boring too.

One of my main guitars is an MH-1000 with a slanted single coil neck pickup like that.

11. NewHewkas

NewHewkas Scheiße Gitarre Spieler

12. Works0fheart

Works0fheart Member

The E-II should have stainless steel frets I'm pretty sure. ESP announced earlier this year that their LTD 1000 series guitars, E-IIs, and upwards would all have them standard across their guitars.

I'd really like to find an E-II with the proper lower wing length personally. That'll probably be my next buy and (hopefully) last for a while. A lot of great guitars in production right now though lol

13. BtownNinja

I contacted ESP about it. Even the custom shop ESP models are nickel frets on the Alexi guitars. All his models will be nickel which seems silly given the price and I'm pretty sure Alexi himself used stainless steel.

Certainly unpopular opinion, but I prefer the 'wrong' longer lower wings. They feel more comfortable to play sitting down. They don't look as good though, I'll give you that.

#3373 BtownNinja, Sep 27, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
  14. Fastbodom

Fastbodom I Spit on Your Grave

Alexi Brought most of his guitars to a local Luthier or it was someone from MUSAMAAILMA changing the frets on his guitars,

15. Zman

Zman O.X.Y.

Right, he had stainless steel frets installed at least on Greeny, Blacky and one of his Pink Sawtooth.
    But not on all his guitars though, the Sawtooth he got in 2011 and the Scythe standard from 2008 (not his Custom Shop) did not have those.

#3375 Zman, Sep 28, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  16. BtownNinja

Interesting. I've heard a similar story about his main Pinky guitar. I wonder if ESP Japan just doesn't/didn't do/prefer stainless steel. In the announcement, they made no mention of adding stainless steel as default for E-II, only LTD 1000 series.

I've been considering refretting my Edwards Katakana model with evo frets. I got it used about a year ago. The previous owner/s must have done many releveling/crowning as they are down to about a medium. I've only refretting two guitars though, so I'm a little nervous doing it on one of my favorites.

17. -AnzzA-

-AnzzA- Member

It was Ruokangas Guitars in Finland who did the fretwork. Alexi's old guitar tech Antti mentioned this in a gear interview. Antti showing and talking about Alexi's and Roope's guitars between 5:00-8:00 in this video.

Works0fheart and Zman like this.
  18. drawnacrol

drawnacrol 7Slinger

Ruokangas do incredible fretwork. His guitars would have played like butter after they re-fretted them.

[​IMG]

For most famous/touring musicians they don't have to care about stainless frets because they have a tech constantly polishing any oxidation off and get so many guitars that wearing down frets isn't a concern. A lot of companies don't like working with it because it involves buying higher quality tools so they just wear out their regular nickel geared tools.

MattK, Works0fheart and Zman like this.
  19. dthmtl3

dthmtl3 Member

True. Plus artists are getting new guitars, what, every time they release a new album. Unless they like the feel of stainless steel frets. But for us mortals SS frets are a great option.

20. Whiteknuckle Deathgrip

My ESP M-II, thats just turned 26 years old in August, has plain old nickel frets, and it's possible that it'll need a refret or levelling/crowning deal in a few years, but it still plays great. I think for normal consumers, the need for stainless frets is negligible. I know some of you guys practice alot, so you might see the need, or maybe you play one certain guitar most of the time. I have yet to wear down the frets of a guitar.

MattK likes this.