This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The "Deliverance" Thread

Discussion in 'Opeth (Archived)' started by serenity_painted_death27, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Discursion

Discursion Banned

You could do that with any albums from Opeth. Deliverance and Damnation ARE seperated and they sounds very different. I don't think we should link them together this way (even if I don't really care). Facts are that Deliverance is one very dark album and Damnation is a mellow album, like you said. I don't like Orchid so much, but I put Orchid and Morningrise together, so now I love Orchid. Erm. :rolleyes:

2. Lateralus14

Lateralus14 New Metal Member

Wreath > Deliverence > Master's Apprentices > A Fair Judgment > For Absent Friends > By The Pain I See In Others - that's how I rank the songs. 1 and 2 are close, 3 and 4 are close, and 5 and 6 are...way too different to decide.

Wreath and Deliverence are very close I just made that decision because I often find myself fast-forwarding from 11ish to 13 minutes on Deliverence. The outro is fantastic, its just that once you've heard it for a minute....you've heard all there is to hear till that keyboard comes in really.

3. Bleakh

Bleakh Member

I consider Damnation being the darker one.

Deliverance was the first Opeth album I bought (I think in early 2003), and from there it has had a heavy influence on my musical taste and also on my drumming. And I will never get the BTPISIO-hate, although that is only a forum thing I believe.

4. JesterShadow

JesterShadow Member

Absolutely love this album!

Wreath is one of the most underrated opeth tracks and it is on one of their most underrated albums. Wreath is probably in my top 3 favorite songs by opeth period. Anyways this album is very solid and is my 2nd favorite behind still life.

Also I dont understand the complaints about BTPISIO being strange... to me it sounds similar to the Lotus Eater as far as strange goes and not too many people complain about that song.

5. L0bster

L0bster OneTwo!

Actually it has been my favorite Opeth-album since I heard it the first time, tho I tend switch it for Still Life in periods. This being said I already owned MAYH and BWP when I heard Deliverance. For some reason, the timing was perfect, I was blown away. An amazing album.

6. Plague1

Plague1 New Metal Member

When I saw Opeth, they played Deliverance and it was fucking awesome.

7. Discursion

Discursion Banned

Anyways... :rolleyes:

8. guitarrero

guitarrero Member

I didn't read the whole thread, but as for my 2 cents:

I LOVE Deliverance and i'd say it is my favorite Opeth-Album, definitely. Apart from the obvious heaviness and brutality mixed with beautiful mellow parts (as they always do) this record has a certain atmosphere that i actually can't describe. I'm not sure if it's because Steven Wilson was involved, but especially that Album has kinda "radioactive vibe" that i totally dig. Some Porcupine Tree-records have that as well... anyway, that mixed with the typical Opeth-Trademarks makes Deliverance really unique and special to me.

9. grey knight

grey knight Etheraven

This could be called "another Opeth album", except that it's not exactly, though it is anyway. :lol:

I mean, it's pretty similar to Orchid, except that there's no song with only clean singing, and it's got one more instrumental...and Deliverance doensn't have a version with a bonus track, which is wonderfull. :)

10. hexwind

hexwind Creepiness Och Terrorism

I think that this album didn't get its time to be written and stuff, everything was so quick ! I believe it could be better if they wrote everything and rehearsed before getting in the studio !
    I started listening from Orchid till Ghost Reverie when i first got Opeth Discography (as with any other band ) and i felt Deliverance was kinda step back, if you listen to albums like SL and BWP and then Deliverance ! It's good tho

11. Anesthetize

Anesthetize Member

o_O I was pretty sure there was an only clean vocal track on both Orchid and Deliverance...

12. Blackfield

Blackfield IWillDieSoon

deliverance? best album in music history
    this has changed my life.ty opeth!

13. ZeDzEdZeD

ZeDzEdZeD dispassion player

My fav Opeth album since its release.

14. Iki-ilkkuja

Iki-ilkkuja Member

All in all, I love the atmosphere, it reminds me of Morningrise, at least to some extent. Both sound quite cold and distant.

15. guitarrero

guitarrero Member

EXACTLY! Maybe that's why Morningrise is in my TOP-3-List, too... 8) I always see Morningsrise as the "perfect winter album". Deliverance also actually...

16. grey knight

grey knight Etheraven

No there's not, Imsws has growling, Utwm has, Foo has, Ttimr has, Tait has and I think Ittfow has only growling. :rolleyes:

17. To rid you disease

lovely abbreviations lol

18. Arasmas

Arasmas New Metal Member

after 7 years or smth of being an opeth fan, i've pretty much settled on this as my favorite of their albums fwiw

19. Luann

Luann Member

deliverance the song is the best ever

20. Anesthetize

Anesthetize Member

I... am an absolute idiot. I was thinking Morningrise and I have no idea why :cry: