This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The DVD region code

Discussion in 'Saxon' started by Twisted Tony, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Twisted Tony

Twisted Tony Old School Metalhead

I guess the DVD's region code 0 is not for the US? Anyone know anything about these codes before I try to order it?

2. Paxoman

Paxoman Member

No idea mate, sorry! I don't even understand all these different dvd players you can get, like 5.1 surround sound. Arn't there about 3 different types you can get? What is the best one to get? HELP! I have a Saxon dvd I need to watch! :lol:

3. Sammi951

Sammi951 Member

I think the 5.1 is supposed to be the best type to get.

As for the Region codes - I only know of regions 1 & 2 - one of them is UK, one of them is USA...dunno which is which! :D So perhaps a Region 0 might be a general one for use anywhere? Makes sense to me - but I have been known to be wrong...on the odd occasion! :lol: :D

4. RicknRoll

RicknRoll Member

Hey twisted heres some info that might help:)

[1.10] What are "regional codes," "country codes," or "zone locks"?

Motion picture studios want to control the home release of movies in different countries because theater releases aren't simultaneous (a movie may come out on video in the U.S. when it's just hitting screens in Europe). Also, studios sell distribution rights to different foreign distributors and would like to guarantee an exclusive market. Therefore they required that the DVD standard include codes that can be used to prevent playback of certain discs in certain geographical regions. Each player is given a code for the region in which it's sold. The player will refuse to play discs that are not coded for its region. This means that a disc bought in one country may not play on a player bought in another country. Some people believe that region codes are an illegal restraint of trade, but there have been no legal cases to establish this.
    Regional codes are entirely optional for the maker of a disc. Discs without region locks will play on any player in any country. It's not an encryption system, it's just one byte of information on the disc that the player checks. Some studios originally announced that only their new releases would have regional codes, but so far almost all Hollywood releases play in only one region. Region codes are a permanent part of the disc, they won't "unlock" after a period of time. Region codes don't apply to DVD-Audio, DVD-ROM, or recordable DVD (see below for more detail).
    There are 8 regions (also called "locales"). Each region is assigned a number. Players and discs are often identified by the region number superimposed on a world globe. If a disc plays in more than one region it will have more than one number on the globe.
    1: U.S., Canada, U.S. Territories
    2: Japan, Europe, South Africa, and Middle East (including Egypt)
    3: Southeast Asia and East Asia (including Hong Kong)
    4: Australia, New Zealand, Pacific Islands, Central America, Mexico, South America, and the Caribbean
    5: Eastern Europe (Former Soviet Union), Indian subcontinent, Africa, North Korea, and Mongolia
    6: China
    7: Reserved
    8: Special international venues (airplanes, cruise ships, etc.)
    (See the map at <www.unik.no/~robert/hifi/dvd/world.html>.)

5. Paxoman

Paxoman Member

Funny how often you have 'the odd occasion' luv! :lol:

6. Sammi951

Sammi951 Member

Oi!!! :Shedevil: :lol:

7. Golden_Goose

Golden_Goose Member

Tony, i think the US is region 2. i've seen thm for sale on Ebay for the USA dvds.

you can also try calling the Sound Exchange in Wayne, they usually get import stuff like that.

8. Memento Mori

Memento Mori Member

When a dvd is region 0 it means that it isn't region coded at all and can be played anywhere in the world. There is however another thing you americans should be aware of - the Saxon chronicles is an european release and can only be played with a dvd/tv system compatible with the european PAL tv system. In the states they use a system called NTSC. 99% of all european dvd players can convert NTSC to PAL but I'm not sure most american players can convert PAL to NTSC. If your tv setup can't handle PAL I suggest you wait until the NTSC version is available http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=6280023&cart=154061449&style=movie&frm=lk_dpc

9. Sammi951

Sammi951 Member

Ha! Paxoman - I wasn't wrong after all....didn't think I could be :D :Smug::loco:

10. saxonfan

saxonfan Member

Funny you can get M/M Saxon in the states on Amazon,but not Chronicles,this is pure terrorism!!

11. Twisted Tony

Twisted Tony Old School Metalhead

Hey thanks for all the info everyone!!

12. Paxoman

Paxoman Member

Well done luv! You must be thrilled to get something right for a change! :lol:

13. Fingers

Fingers Member

Pax, when purchasing a DVD player dont bother spending too much. If all you want it to do is play DVD's you can pick up a good quality player for under £100.

14. Paxoman

Paxoman Member

Cheers Fingers. Might go along to Richer Sounds cos you normally get a good deal in there. Then I can watch the 4 dvd's I have but haven't seen yet!

15. bert

bert Member

Pax, Might I suggest a multi-region player as PLAY.COM has now set up a section called PLAYUSA which deals in region1 dvd's. These will play on a multi-region and the dvd's are a lot cheaper. I got Ted Nugent and Zakk Wyldes (£11.99 inc. P+P) dvd's both £3 cheaper than the region 2 versions. Box sets are far cheaper as well. Also you can pick a new one up for £50 (delivery FREE) on Amazon. It's a YAMADA but there's a few good write-ups from satisfied customers if you care to check it out.
    The Chronicles is only available in region 2 but it's still only £14.99 inc P+P. You can't go wrong! :)

16. Blonde Becca

Blonde Becca Member

I take it we're talking the new dvd?
    I got it today haventwatched it yet but Ill tell ya when I do!

17. Crusader

Crusader Metal addict

Get one to your computer they are real cheap, and if you have a 3d/grafic card (like nvidia geforce, or radeon) thas has a Tv-Out contact you can play it on your TV too, I use that system and it works good, you can also plug in the sound to your stereo (I guess all metalheads here got that!), it isn't so bad to watch it on a screen either, I watched the dvd on my screen, but movies are better to watch with TV.

18. Fingers

Fingers Member

Play.com are very good, cheap and free delivery. Definitely try Richer Sounds Pax they always have deals. :wave:

19. Paxoman

Paxoman Member

Cheers bert and fingers.

20. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Member

Quote: "Funny you can get M/M Saxon in the states on Amazon,but not Chronicles,this is pure terrorism!!"

Damn right! This must be some kind of evil Al Qaeda plot. Notice them dodgy moustaches on Oli and Dobby.... doesn't Osama bin Laden have one just like that? Come to think of it.... put a picture of Dobby next to Saddam Hussein.... hmmm.... seperated at birth?