This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The "English is my 2nd language" Thread

Discussion in 'Bar' started by Plendakor, Aug 27, 2012.

1. ratsapprentice

ratsapprentice God can gtfo

I'll take the nuke argument, although only in relation to miked in preference of miced, but when the hell has anyone needed to abbreviate cucumber? :lol: I have literally never heard of that, nor can I see any situation where that would be used.

I still don't think you understand what I'm trying to say about the lb/pound thing.

2. Plendakor

Plendakor Member

I think english is probably the easiest language to learn of all. There are a lot of words out there but it's pretty easy to assemble into a concrete sentence. French has so many rules and exceptions (a pain in the ass even for us). I mean, you don't use them in general, but say you read literature, at some point they (the writters) overthink it. especially those from the 1800s.

However, it seems that the easiest language to learn when you speak french is italian. I've read that you can become fluent after 6 months. And spannish comes second. now, what's easier for a spannish person to learn, italian or french ?

I'm probably about 99% bilingual, both speaking and writting, but I do make awkward mistakes every now and then. And that's irritating. And plus, I need to "warm up" before I can speak it normally because if someone comes at me, and I spent my whole year speaking french, it's like huh let my adjust my mouth for a minute. lol, do you know what I mean ? Sure I speak right away, think right away, but it's somehow like waking up

ratsapprentice, lb is the unit... in french it's a "livre" (the same word is used for "book") but we'd say I weight 200 lbs. It's like 120V 60Hz, Hz means hertz but you don't say H'zzzzz ;P

3. TravisW

TravisW Member

I don't think we're on the same page about what an abbreviation is. I guess if you're going with a very narrow definition, that only allows for the truncation of a word, then you're correct that "lb" is technically an acronym for "libra pondo". At that point, "Dr." isn't an abbreviation, but rather a contraction.

It might be a difference in which grammars we were taught from, actually. I was taught that abbreviations are a category of shortenings of words that included traditional abbreviation via truncation, acronyms, and contractions. There have been enough English grammars written up so that it's entirely possible that everybody in this thread is right about everything.

4. colonel kurtz

colonel kurtz Member

italian just seems like the easiest language, period

i took 3 years of spanish in HS and grew up around quite a few spanish speakers, but can't speak it for shit...those fuckers just babble on way too fast. i can read it pretty well, but conversating is another thing. then i went to italy once for a few weeks, and even though there's differences in the language, just the fact that italian is spoken so much slower and more relaxed(until someone gets mad) makes it sooooooooooooooo much easier to grasp. i wouldn't doubt in the least bit that anyone with any experience in another latin language could be fluent in italian in 6 months...if that.

5. DanLights

DanLights Santa Hat Forever

Funny thing about German: French is hard enough because genders don't always match the Spanish ones, but German is worse because there's THREE genders for nouns: male, female and neutral. :lol:

6. ratsapprentice

I wasn't saying that abbreviations can only be truncations, but that for the sake of argument, we should think of it like that.
    As the word we are dealing with (mike) is a truncation (phonetically).
    So you shouldn't be comparing the rules that apply to the abbreviation of pound to lb, as it is not the same "type" of abbreviation as microphone to mic/mike.

7. DanLights

I think until more expert opinions come up, the mic thing should be settled with "miking". The nuke thing makes perfect sense, saying "we're nuc'ing those Japos" sounds wrong in so many levels that I'm convinced in a few years from now saying "miced" or "mic'ing" will be laughed at unless you're referring to bombing something with rodents, in which case it will be laughed at anyways.

8. jangoux

jangoux Member

There´s a local band whose name is All Still Burns - everyone thought the s in burns was wrong until I made a research about it. For some stupid reason, it appears both are correct but burns might be the most correct ahahah Something like to what the verb burn is referencing. Like if the ´All´ is the whole world, then it is ´burns´ and if the ´All´ are the Orange, the apple and the carrot, then it is ´burn´ ahha

but i love english. Way easier to think than portuguese - oh, and brazilian portuguese is way easier than portuguese from Portugal. That one is tricky!

9. ratsapprentice

All Still Burns wouldn't turn any heads, no-one would question it.
    Although I think technically it implies that "all" continues to have the potential to burn, rather than "all" is still burning.
    But like I said, I don't think anyone would interpret it that way.

10. TravisW

TravisW Member

Fair enough.

I think the other rationale for "mike" vs. "mic" is that English pronunciation generally favors a short i in "mic", and if you throw an e on the end to lengthen the i, then the c goes soft. If you don't lengthen the i, then you're teasing the Irish and they get all hacked off.

Personally, for use as a noun, I have no issue with "mic", because it makes particularly good sense in the studio. Once it has been "verbed", that's when it starts to make trouble.

11. DanLights

Yeah I definitely agree with Travis.

12. Plendakor

Plendakor Member

I find confusing that many almost identical words can sound so different...

wear/pear/bear don't sound like tear/fear/near

There's like 56 million examples like that

Anybody knows the rules ?

13. AD Chaos

AD Chaos MGTOW

Whenever I see the word miced used in here (to describe an amp being recorded through microphone placement), I'm thinking someone has been either fucked or killed by a mouse :lol:

I'm guessing mic'd is more accurate? As in short for microphoned (or micro-phoned)?...

I think I often unintentionally offend someone when saying 'you' while forgetting to specify I'm referring to a group of people, rather than the individual person I'm having a word with.

14. Mago

Mago Austrian Blech Machine

English is just fucking retarded with the orthography, no way around it.
    I guess it goes back to beeing involved with old roman languages a few hundred (or thousand?) years ago.

I'm pretty sure if already said that in a thread like this, kinda suprised it wasn't this one :lol:

Only goes to show how much context matters in communication.

air heir
    aisle isle
    ante- anti-
    eye I
    bare bear
    be bee
    brake break
    buy by
    cell sell
    cent scent
    cereal serial
    coarse course
    complement compliment
    dam damn
    dear deer
    die dye
    fair fare
    fir fur
    flour flower
    for four
    hair hare
    heal heel
    hear here
    him hymn
    hole whole
    hour our
    idle idol
    in inn
    knight night
    knot not
    know no
    made maid
    mail male
    meat meet
    morning mourning
    none nun
    oar or
    one won
    pair pear
    peace piece
    plain plane
    poor pour
    pray prey
    principal principle
    profit prophet
    real reel
    right write
    root route
    sail sale
    sea see
    seam seem
    sight site
    sew so
    shore sure
    sole soul
    some sum
    son sun
    stair stare
    stationary stationery
    steal steel
    suite sweet
    tail tale
    their there
    to too
    toe tow
    waist waste
    wait weight
    way weigh
    weak week
    wear where

I mean come fucking on :lol:
    There was a picture with a story made up only with homophones...can't find it right now, but it was painful to read, and even more painful to read it out loud.

15. sprack

sprack Thread Killer

"Fuck" and "date" are also good ones that depend on context.

Trying to teach my kids swedish and I'm realizing how convoluted english is. I'm just glad we don't have to add memorizing noun gender to the mix.

16. Nimvi

Nimvi Member

Which reminds me, in my dialect you can form correct sentences like these:
    "Daat dat dat, dat dat dat daat?", which would translate to something like "did she think that she thought that?". We are the sacred keepers of the Morse code.

And about English I will say only this:

When I die, go to Hell and meet the Great Adversary
    I will ask why I'm there; he will say: "'Twas necessary..."
    And I will ask: "How do you spell that again?"
    But he will just scornfully laugh without end

In the bowels of the earth rings the word "NECESSARY"
    As I endlessly search for Oxford Dictionary,
    Or a PC with Google, Yahoo or Bing;
    I've tried to ask Jeeves, but he won't say a thing

By now I should know this, but in my defense:
    That word looks so wrong; it just doesn't make sense!
    Even talking paperclips would be swell
    But there are none here, for I am in Hell

17. DanLights

Come fucking on sounds sooooo wrong hahahahahaha like you're inviting someone to come into your house while fornicating freely in the process

It would be "come the fuck on!"

Awkward necrobump but ok

18. Plendakor

Plendakor Member

Well the thread is old but serves its purpose.
    I discussed with my English teacher about that earlier today and she said it was all because of the etymology. So one really has to just "know" it, there's no rule for that, lol.

19. Nimvi

Nimvi Member

Ugh yea, those are always the best "rules" in any language. Like some secret insider code to make sure that any foreigner, no matter how hard they try, will always sound like a foreigner :D

I think Dutch is full of them too. I never realized that, but a German friend of mine has an obsession for linguistics, so he often asks me about the 'why' of things. I can barely ever give him a coherent answer. And even if I can, there are some weird exceptions for that rule again.

Btw, this is the second language topic I'm enjoying in a relatively short time. Granted, this one was a bit older already, but I didn't notice it back then. Something about this theme is just really fun and interesting!

20. Mago

Mago Austrian Blech Machine

haha yeah in my dialect we have that too.
    We can make up a sentence with only vowels
    "I e a" which would mean something like "I/me too of course" depending on the context.

German also has funny stuff like that going on like
    "Wenn Fliegen hinter Fliegen fliegen, fliegen Fliegen Fliegen nach.
    Fliegen fliegen Fliegen nach, wenn Fliegen hinter Fliegen fliegen?"

(when flies fly behind flies etc etc)

And hell yes to that damn nessnsnsneffwary word :lol:

Who says I didn't? lol

But haha thanks, something did sound off about that one :lol:

I didnt bump it, I just rolled with it :headbang: