This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

I Wait For You...

...you know you cannot hide. Join the forum today!

The Falco Comp Series: Bringing Music That Doesn't Suck to Nevermore Dorks Since Now

Discussion in 'Nevermore' started by Planetary Eulogy, Aug 16, 2006.

1. PlatypusJesus

PlatypusJesus A Dead Sun Serenity

Goddamn. It's like Black Metal Matt was reincarnated in the form of a compilation maker.

2. derek

derek Grey Eminence

I'd just like to side-step the musical ideology discussion for a moment and say: ANACRUSIS! :headbang:

3. Metal head87

Metal head87 Member

Except that Summoning does not sound like black metal at all.

The melodies with old Graveland are similar to Lord Wind, but old Graveland was still mostly based in the black metal style. It focused more on sounding ugly with the harsh and simple guitar riffs, harsh vocals and primitive drumming. Folk metal, for me anyway, is more about the majestic, beautiful and epic melodies and sound. Also using the folk instruments.

I cannot really comment on Darkthrone's lyrics too much since I never really read through them and a lot of them are in Norwegian. But from the English lyrics I've read, they were not nationalistic at all. But I agree with you, most of the black metal bands were pretty nationalistic. But not to the point where Storm was. Storm's lyrics were purely based on Norse folklore and culture. And again, their sound was very far from the black metal sound. For instance, even though I would say At The Heart Of Winter from Immortal has a lot of Vking metal influences in the sound and lyrics, I would still call that a black metal album (I'm not getting into that whole "is later Immortal BM, is later Dimmu BM, is later Mayhem BM etc"). I still think Storm was a folk project, much like Wongraven except Storm used metal instruments.

Even though I would hardly call Bathory's Hammerheart complex, it was far more complex than a lot of other of the second wave of black metal projects, which is also why I say it is different than black metal. I think that even though there are similarities between that album and black metal song structures, there were also a lot of differences. If they want to call that black metal because of the song structures, then they should have put some more of the first wave bands on the albums, like Mercyful Fate, Celtic Frost (and like you mentioned, Hellhammer), Venom etc.

4. Planetary Eulogy

Black metal isn't a sound, it's a concept or spirit. Beyond that, Summoning's basic style isn't terribly dissimilar from that of unquestioned black metal bands from Burzum to later model Graveland. You can't reduce black metal to a single aesthetic, its probably the most diverse genre in metal.

I take it you haven't heard the albums in question...

You mean like Thousand Swords?

Guitar, for instance...

And what does that tell you...

I'll let you in on a secret - very little actual 'folk music' is actually concerned with 'folklore' as such. That kind of mythological focus comes out of the Romantic tradition of which black metal is an heir, not out of any genuine folk tradition.

5. MajestikMøøse

MajestikMøøse Membrum virile

haha Arditi is so out of place in all of that

6. mReEtTaIlRsEkD

mReEtTaIlRsEkD New Metal Member

Pffft, silly thread.

7. MajestikMøøse

MajestikMøøse Membrum virile

was I ever that bad? If so I'm sorry.

The dark art comp has some interesting stuff on it, but I know that its contents are far randomly selected.

I recently made a neofolk compilation for a really nice girl who was interested after I played some Death In June and Current 93 covers at a local show a few months ago:

1. Larrnakh - Duplex Veritas (from Scontrum Act V)
    2. Werkraum - Wir Rufen Deine Wolfe (from Wir Rufen Deine Wolfe)
    3. Nature And Organisation - The Wicker Man Song (from Beauty Reaps The Blood Of Solitude)
    4. Sieben - Love's Promise (from Sex & Wildflowers)
    5. Rose Rovine E Amanti - La Falsa Europa (from Grain)
    6. Belborn - Des Lebens Mude (from Grain)
    7. Death In June - He's Disabled (from But, What Ends When The Symbols Shatter?)
    8. Spiritual Front - Border (from Satyriasis: Somewhere Between Equilibrium And Nihilism)
    9. Graumahd - Ohne Welt (from Cheru)
    10. Der Blutharsch - The Track Of The Hunted VIII (from The Track Of The Hunted)
    11. Current 93 - They Return To Their Earth (from The Thunder : Perfect Mind)
    12. Pantaleimon - Trees Hold Time (from Trees Hold Time)
    13. In Gowan Ring - Cipher's String On A Tree (from The Glinting Spade)

Seriously that comp made me want to ejaculate all over the place

8. Chromatose

Chromatose Squid pro quo

The genre drama that it broke down to is silly, for sure, but I think the original concept is definitely fantastic. Honestly though, I'm not going to be checking out any of these because the majority of it I have no interest in hearing, but I applaud the effort. Added to that is that compilations rule, especially when presented with the purpose of educating the "nevermore dorks" ha ha!

I'm inspired to perhaps try this as well some time.

9. WhiteBeastofWotan

WhiteBeastofWotan Apostitutes!

Yeah labeling aside, some of those comps look interesting

10. Planetary Eulogy

Nah, it fits in quite neatly between Aghast and Puissance.

11. Metal head87

Metal head87 Member

If it was Lugburz, then I would agree. But as far as I'm concerned, everything after it is not what I would call black metal.

I haven't heard too much of Thousand Swords or Celtic Winter, and what I did hear, I heard it like a year ago so I don't remember it that well. But if the whole album sounds like The Dark Battlefield song or like In The Glare Of Burning Churches or even Carpathian Wolves albums, then I'll stick to my comment.

There's a big difference between a band using the guitar to play some harsh riff or a beautiful melody and harmony.

Just because a lot of their lyrics are in Norwegian, doesn't mean that they are still not the same as the ones in English. I've read a couple of their song lyrics that were translated into English, maybe those few just happened to be more about being all evil instead of nationalistic. But I doubt that. I love Darkthrone though.

Even if that's the case, Storm's music itself is still very deeply rooted in folk music. Would you put Lord Wind on this compilation?

Truth is, I actually agree with a lot of what you're saying. I'm mostly just arguing for the hell of it since I'm pretty bored. But I think that there are other bands that should have been on this, like Mayhem, Immortal, Marduk, Dimmu Borgir (I know many people don't call them BM, but I don't know how someone could call old Graveland black metal and not For All Tid), Dodheimsgard, Ulver, Borknagar (if they are putting so many folk influenced bands, then Ulver and Borknagar should be there too).
    I'm not an elitist and I don't really care so much that Storm, Summoning, Falkenbach and Kampfar are on the album. As I've said, I'm just arguing for the hell of it.

12. Mike

Mike Member

all of those bands suck, you guys should listen to some real music, like Green Day.

13. metalkingdom

metalkingdom the kinder, gentler me

A Falco list isn't complete without "Rock Me Amadeus".

14. Metal head87

Metal head87 Member

And Linkin Park fo sho diggidy!

15. mReEtTaIlRsEkD

Yes, but while this man named mainstream bands for the most part that everyone here has already heard, you would probably name some rarer bands that would be interesting to check out.

16. mReEtTaIlRsEkD

Correct.

17. Chromatose

Chromatose Squid pro quo

This thread actually creeped me out because for some reason I've been humming Der Kommissar in my head for the past day or so.

18. Det Som Engang Var

Det Som Engang Var Viking Bastard

I'd just like to bring up the Enslaved thing again

They are progressive black metal imo, much more on the progressive side. Like someone said viking metal is not a fucking genre.

19. mReEtTaIlRsEkD

Do Enslaved's lyrics involve Satan?

20. mReEtTaIlRsEkD

Does Satan even involve Satan?