This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The games/gaming discusion thread

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Shadow298, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Winmar

Winmar Pillock of society

Thanks for your feedback on that, Anwar. Interesting... A couple of the games that got me excited about the prospect of getting a PS3 were Uncharted 2 and Heavy Rain. Is the latter available on X Box? Are there any excellent X Box exclusives? It certainly is a lot cheaper. Making the purchase is a reasonably big decision, because you end up buying right into it with various peripherals e.g. Rock Band instruments.

2. black_tooth_grin

black_tooth_grin www.anwarrizk.com

Sadly, Heavy Rain is a Sony exclusive. Xbox has a great range of exclusive titles which easily rival that of the PS3 though.

If you want something similar to Heavy Rain, I would go with something like Alan Wake or Mass Effect 2. Both are very open ended and have multiple endings, paths and choices to choose from.

Alan Wake actually plays out like a movie and has sequels and prequels coming soon as downloadable content. Mass Effect 2 is a more action orientated RPG with fewer RPG elements than the first game. It's balanced though, so you wont get sick of fighting or listening to people crap on. Heaps of downloadable content to keep you busy.

Other great exclusives include Crackdown 2, Dead Rising 1 and 2, Fable II and III, Gears of War 2 and 3, Halo Reach, Forza 3 and many more coming soon. Most good games are third party, so you wont need to worry to much about playing an awesome game on either console.

Xbox360 also has a large selection of original arcade and revamped console titles to choose from. Plus you've got movies you can download and also stay in contact with friends via Facebook, Twitter and this new peripheral called 'Natal' which is you as the controller.

If you want a good look at what both consoles have in store for the next 12 - 16 months check out the latest videos from E3.

http://www.gametrailers.com/

3. Nebulous

Nebulous Daniel

I don't have a HD TV yet but really liked the old PS1 version of Gran Turismo1/2. I want to buy a PS3 but think that honestly, the price of $500 is still a bit steep, especially since I won't be able to get the full picture quality of it for GT4 and the upcoming GT5.

Can anyone help me see the light?

4. Spikes Red

Spikes Red Member

For those interested in all things Halo, and Red vs Blue:

http://roosterteeth.com/store/product.php?id=194

They are releasing the first 5 seasons in a new box set, this one is all High Res, with some extras.
    So now you can watch all the early ones in a much better quality!!
    The new series is awesome, and TEX makes an appearance in the next episode!!!

5. black_tooth_grin

If you're wanting a chance to play something similar to Gran Turismo 1 or 2, I'd say get an Xbox360 and get yourself a copy of Forza 3. Most of the new Elite consoles come with the game included.

Forza 3 offers the same experience as Gran Turismo, but without the effort of obtaining licenses to drive. You just buy a level F car and build your rank til you reach S3 and race all the super cars. It has an extensive list of cars with over 200 more to download, plus you can make custom vinyls and race online to build your reputation. Heaps of tracks and the graphics aren't to shabby either.

6. Zen

Zen Vows In Ashes...

Gran Tourismo 2 was the bombdiggity, man I loved that game. I think I bought GT3 but never got passed the license bullshit, what an investment that was.

7. maiL huma

maiL huma Collingwood forever

As a media centre, the PS3 wins hands down in my book. It's pretty much become the hub of my entertainment, with all of my TV shows, movies and music going through it. The way it so easily connected to my PC and mapped its hard drive was awesome too. With Play TV connected through it as well, you've got a recordable digital TV receiver - for just over $100. Also bear in mind that PS network is free, the Xbox network charges you a subscription. I was a bit meh about the network as I don't like online gaming, but the downloads are awesome.

Xbox has a much bigger library of software, but almost all games are released on both platforms now. For me, console gaming is 3rd person action style games - I cannot play FPS on consoles and I totally suck at driving games, so once I played the Uncharted games the Xbox/PS3 decision was a pretty easy one to make :)

8. Nebulous

Nebulous Daniel

I'm with mail huma on the preference of free online gaming, but will try to check out Forza3. Just need to find someone local with an Xbox.
    I actually liked the licence part of the GT series. I vastly prefer that style of gaming to the need for speed series too, which your description of Forza reminds me of, Anwar. They aren't a bad series, but the aesthetic side of the game ("yo, look at my pimped ride") sort of turns me off it as I'd prefer the developers to concentrate on the physics and acuracy of the gameplay, ie, I don't want the game to tell me that the mildly pimped Supra or Skyline will destroy the Porsche or Lambo, etc.

9. Pethical

Pethical Tom

Just finished Metro 2033, absolutely enthralling. One of the most immersive game experiences I've come across, even more astounding considering the linear nature of the game. Going to have to get the book next.

10. cowboy

cowboy Member

If you are after a good racer, I highly recommend GRiD.

You can get the "Reloaded" edition on PS3/360 for around $40-$50 which comes with a buttload of DLC (additional cars, online modes, and....BATHURST!!)

Great game - the damage modelling is brilliant too.

11. Shadow298

Shadow298 UNLEASH THE GUAN

got Red Dead Redemption for the PS3 today and like it for the little I've played

the graphics engine is so much shinier than it was on GTA4 and it seems to be more mature in tone -not going for the cheap gags and such from the out set

the horse is a bit of a pain to control and no auto lock sucks a little for people with sucky aims like I have

but look forward to playing more of it :D

12. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

So I finally got with (some of) the times and got onto steam. They've been doing massive, massive discounts coming up to the US 4th july holiday and getting 20+ games for $100 was more than I could pass up. So far the experience has been quite good despite my misgivings over how steam works.

Now I am playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R - it's an interesting experience. When your bullets count towards the total you can carry you are pretty fucking careful about what you cart. It's not as polished as a lot of the FPSs I play, but I like the realism of it. I'm also playing it on a fair degree of difficulty so it's been fun getting started because it's VERY easy to die without decent armor- which is expensive and can't be plifered off corpses like everything else can.

I'm only fishing around in "garbage" has anyone else been further/ finished the game? What did you think?

13. Robotman

Robotman Gun Kata

Wish I could help but it's on my to-play list (just finished off Dawn of War II + CHaos Rising on the weekend). Hoping Just Cause 2 will be up for a discounted price shortly. Just bought DIRT 2 on the weekend.

14. Cryptor

Cryptor Cobber Mc Friendly

Just ordered this from JB's site. Only $60 which seems to be a lot cheaper than anywhere else. But that price only lasts for the next couple of hours.

IGN gave it a 9.0 out of 10, and their judgement usually seems to be on par with my feelings on video games. Looking forward to playing it! =)

15. Shadow298

finished Red Dead Redemption and was a great game but the ending feels a little hollow
    think it might be my usual complaint with sand box style games that try to have an emotion impact with characters in that there is such separation between character/action and character/story and they expect you to fill in a lot of gaps yourself

but the game itself is awesome!
    just so addictive and imersive. even just riding around on the horse and doing random encounters can be fun
    nice touches with the Mexicans actually speaking Spanish and not only English (and they have Spanish subtitles too)

now have to finish up some of my stockpile of games before I think of buying anything new
    have a heap to get through but no idea where to start

maybe FF13 because I do really like it and haven't finished an FF game in a while (because of 12's MMORPG style and all the hunting you have to do, even though I have reached the last stage)

16. black_tooth_grin

GAME currently have a ridiculous game sale on at the moment. Most new titles are below cost. I happened to pick up Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition, Dante's Inferno and Metro 2055 for $38 each. They also had the collectors edition of FFXIII for only $48. They are throwing shit away.

Sale is on until next week.

17. DirTh

DirTh The Puppet Master

Yea, I bought Juiced 2 and Sega Rally for $8 each, a ps3 controller charger dock/stand and Devil May Cry 4 for $12 each and a HDMI cable for $4. They said they'd be getting new stock in last Friday but I haven't been in to check what else they got there, though I did notice they have the White Box edition of Assassins Creed 2 for ps3 for $50.

18. Shadow298

video of some songs from the next GH game
    opening songs are pretty crap (apart from Muse) but the animations for that later songs are really good and so potential for the title

#3258 Shadow298, Jul 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
  19. Shadow298

OK, forgot about Money For Nothing

that is a true Guitar Hero style song and a great opener for the game (if they have it there)

20. Shadow298