This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The Glorious Cheesefest

Discussion in 'Iced Earth' started by Depth Charge, May 17, 2003.

1. Depth Charge

Depth Charge Member

Man, the way Jon is describing this album, it's gonna be the gayest record on the planet. Gettysburg song with all types of drums and shit? C'mon, how CORNY is that. Jon, get over yourself. Iced Earth isn't an "epic" band. If you're in a metal band, and take yourself WAYYY too seriously, it's time to rethink the gameplan.

"I want to write epic Iced Earth novels, and have movies made based on Iced Earth."

-Jon Schaffer

2. NFU

NFU I like pie.

Agreed....iced earth is done.

and dumb. Jon...get over yourself.

3. manuelgv

manuelgv Back now...hopefully

I am not into the topic they want to develop,or they already developed,but well I do like them a lot.
    If the music is good and Matt's vocals are good then I will skip the lyrics

4. \m/

\m/ I Die Slowly

So... let me get this straight, you think Iced Earth is done, but In Flames isn't (from your posts in the In Flames BB)? Go figure. Everyones intitled to their opinion. Don't take this as a flame or anything LordHypnos i'm not trying to start an arguement, i'm just puzzled.

5. TheFourthHorseman

TheFourthHorseman In The Twilight World

hopefully Jon will get his patriotic part satisfied with Glorious Burden...I won't say anything about it being good or bad since I haven't heard one note of the album but the Something Wicked concept album does sound a lot more promising :)
    I don't really see Iced Earth being done as Hypnos said since they're getting more fans everyday and perhaps finally getting a fanbase in the US too. Just cause you don't like their latest work doesn't mean that they're done. In Flames would've been six feet under a day after the release of Reroute if that was the case.
    Personally,I don't see anything wrong with Jon trying to make Iced Earth epic,even if they aren't...all the stuff like a comic book along with the Something Wicked album would be pretty cool. But no,Jon shouldn't do that one alone.

6. NFU

NFU I like pie.

I see where you are going with this, and in a matter of different opinions, youd probably have a point. In my opinion, Iced Earth has been going down hill for several albums now...not to mention Jon's attitude and ego has gotten out of control. Rob Halford and Bruce Dickenson probably have a smaller combined ego than Jon's on his worst day. In any case...hes turning his band into the Microsoft of heavy metal. As for in flames, yes, they have changed a bit, but in my opinion for the better...but thats just my opinion and another matter entirely.

7. \m/

\m/ I Die Slowly

I do agree with that!

8. The Yngster

The Yngster Member

I personally couldn't care less about Jon's attitude, it makes absolutely no difference to me. Lyrics don't matter much to me either, as long as they keep it fast and heavy, and Matt's doing the vox, I'll keep listening.

9. Lies and Perfidy

Lies and Perfidy Gentleman of the Road

He's not THAT bad. Pretty egotistical, but not totally gone mad. In any case, this album is beginning to sound a little too Night At the Opera-ish for my taste...hopefully most of the songs besides Gettysburg will be more stripped down and back to their thrash roots.

10. icedsymphony

icedsymphony Member

How can a song based on Gettysburg be corny? Do you have any idea what went on there. The destruction and death, the bloodshed. Sounds pretty epic to me and pretty metal. If you want to here the same ole my life sucks the government sucks, why can't we all get along bullshit, you can here that from 90% of the bands in every genre out there. Schaffer is gonna do what he wants and believes not what you want and think he should follow.

11. Nuclear Vampire

Nuclear Vampire Metal Machine

As far as I'm concerned, Iced Earth has been an "epic" band ever since the Night Of The Stormrider album smashed everyones heads in. How about songs like Dante's Inferno. Not "epic"? The Something Wicked Trilogy? The Phantom Opera Ghost?

12. Tebus

Tebus An abode of few.

I've really gotten into Iced Earth over the last year. I feel a lot of inspiration from them, and I can't wait for the new album.

13. Staffan

Staffan Soelen gaaer bag aase ned

Yeah of what he said it seemed to be cheesy, but I thought the same before horror show and it's a great album IMO

14. theodyssey

theodyssey Best Album of the Year

He was patriotic before 9/11, so i don't see this as cheesy or contrived... it's his reaction to what's going on with something he feels strongly about. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Personally, i thought it sounded cheesy at first, but now i am liking the idea... i can't wait.

15. NapalmForLunch

Why do people hate that Jon is doing a song about American history but enjoy Viking metal?

16. The Yngster

The Yngster Member

Some people are hypocrites and hate stuff just for the hell of it.

17. theodyssey

theodyssey Best Album of the Year

seems to be so. And even if he is egotistical, he has the right to be. He has created more great music than most popular bands, and they haven't yet become a parody of themselves, so i don't see any reason to show anything other than complete respect for them.

18. IcedEarth_811

IcedEarth_811 New Metal Member

If you cant take a little cheese, I dont think metal is the music genre for you.

19. Lies and Perfidy

Lies and Perfidy Gentleman of the Road

I can take a little cheese, but when it starts heading in the direction of Manowar, I get wary. Only one man has the right to be that cheesy, and that is DIO. Because he is your lord and savior.

Anyway, I like American history, but I just don't think the concept bodes well for the overall sound of the album (at least in my opinion). Negative stuff = angrier music - it's a simple formula. But again, there's the SWTWC album to look forward to.

20. PlatypusJesus

PlatypusJesus A Dead Sun Serenity

American history isn't negative? I beg to differ. Anyway, I don't see why everyone is trying to make it seem as if all metal is pure cheese. Maybe if all you listen to is Thrash, Gore, and Black metal, that stands true, but there is a lot of metal that is not cheese. Again, anyway, just wait for the release to decide if the cd is good or bad.