This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The Glorious Cheesefest

Discussion in 'Iced Earth' started by Depth Charge, May 17, 2003.

1. Fuþorc

Fuþorc Rotting Corpse Head!

To the ones bashing the new album, if you don't like it, DON'T BUY IT!!! I've loved Iced Earth ever since I stuck SWTWC in my cd player and nothing will change that. About Jon alienating Europeans with his patriotic attitude, they can get over it. I'm patriotic about my country and I do know what most Europeans think about it.

2. thunderstruck67

thunderstruck67 Master of the Thunder

This album is being hailed as a metal masterwork!

3. Timmeth

Timmeth Secret Agent Man

I guess this is a matter of opinion...

Let me get this straight, writing about true, bloody, tragic events seems corny?

4. Timmeth

Timmeth Secret Agent Man

What about all people who could care less about history in general? As long as the music's good, what does it matter?

People are going to have to keep an open mind on things such as American History.

5. Timmeth

Timmeth Secret Agent Man

I don't think his ego is anywhere near large. Afterall, he did say "You deserve it". Someone with a massive ego would care only for himself.

6. sixxswine

sixxswine rockandrollazine.blogspot

I like the concept. I think Jon does have a big ego. I think if the band were to get to be as big as like a Metallica or Legendary as an Iron Maiden, then we'd all be in trouble. Most musicians have a big ego. I think Jon is more of a perfectionist than an egomaniac. The comment he made about epic & novels is a bit much for any fan to swallow that's for sure.

7. Fuþorc

Jon is obsessed with musical perfection.

8. Timmeth

Timmeth Secret Agent Man

...and that's a problem?

9. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg Master Exploder

At first I thought a whole album devoted to American History might be a bit cheesey and tiresome in places, but now that it is getting nearer I am much more confident about it. After all, Horror Show and other concept/theme albums don't sound that promising at first but have pursisted to blow me away.

As for Jon writing epics, I think IE is already in a position capable of writing epics. Dante's Inferno, The Trilogy, and more importantly TPOG are all epics. Jon has said he was planning on making TPOG about 6 minutes longer, but deadlines and constraints got in the way of doing it the way he wanted to. As some people have said above, Jon has more than enough passion, drive and knowledge to right an epic about American History, so I don't think it is in bad hands. Hell, if I heard the concept behind Maiden's 'Rime Of The Ancient Mariner' before I heard the song I might be worried, but the song kicks all kinds of arse, as it was handled correctly. Also, Jon didn't set out to write a 30 minute epic, it just got out of control, so obviously he has thought of extra bits to put in etc, so I don't think it will get repetative at all.

As for TGB being a too positive album, I think it will have both positive and very negative songs, and I can't wait to hear the whole damn thing! :headbang:

10. steelreign

steelreign Member

I think everyone is mistaking Jon's "ego". To me, ego = PRIDE! His songs are his children, and that is something very personal. Most all of you would probably feel the same way if you were in his position.

It's too bad people have to diss the new stuff before we hear it. How constructive is that?

Look, lyrical topics aside, we all know Jon well enough to know that the new album is going to be heavy metal, and isn't that enough? To me it is....

11. theodyssey

theodyssey Best Album of the Year

I agree. All i said was if (IF) he has an ego... fuck, he deserves it. I would if i were him.

12. Fuþorc

No, it's not. I'm glad he redid NOTSR because the original quality of the album sounded like shit.

13. Timmeth

Timmeth Secret Agent Man

Just asking a question. Oh, and by the way, I loved the answer...

14. Orome

Orome New Metal Member

I think it`s fine for Jon that he is doing what he likes and i think the music of TGB will be great but i think i won`t stand the lyrics. Maybe i am ignorant but for myself i am doing hard about finding any positive thing about american history (killing the natives, infecting the whole world with it`s culture...).

Like it was said at the beginning of the Thread: Do what you want Jon but not with me this time.

15. oden

oden God of the Noth

I'm gonna buy the album anyway...

16. Timmeth

Timmeth Secret Agent Man

I didn't have a problem learning about the history of Germany. I don't see why you would have a problem learning about the History of the USA. Why are you making yourself ignorant? Quite frankly, you should grasp this opportunity. There's no need to close your mind to something.

17. Soul of a new Machine

Soul of a new Machine I share the discovery!

Come on guys! Wait till you see the final result!
    Look at St-Anger, how much people bragged it would be the next master of puppets, and it's light years away...
    I don't give a fuck of what a band have to say about their newest material when it's not released yet. They work their ass for it and are proud of themselves, that doesn't mean it'S good or bad, just that they are proud of it and like it for themselves.
    :)

Cthulhu likes this.
  18. Lies and Perfidy

Lies and Perfidy Gentleman of the Road

I don't recall anyone saying we'd hear the next Puppets...if so, they deserve to be smacked.

Of course, we won't know what the album sounds like till it's out, but it's fun to speculate.

19. icedsymphony

icedsymphony Member

Cracks me up all these german dudes talkin shit about U.S. history. Yea we wacked a couple of savages, nothing compared to your nations compassionate past. As for the culture invasion, if you don't like it don't eat at Mcdonalds, and dont listin to nu-metal. Case closed.

20. theodyssey

theodyssey Best Album of the Year

man, that's not cool bringing nazi's into it. most germans didn't want the nazi's to do that shit. and most of the "nazi" army was the german army from what i understand... they were taking orders, not acting as they wished. No wonder the rest of the world sees us as fuckin' ignorant.