This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The Great Cold Distance vs. Night is the New Day

Discussion in 'Katatonia' started by batmura, Jan 21, 2011.

?

Which aşbum do you like better?

1. The Great Cold Distance

52.4%
  2. Night is the New Day

47.6%
  1. Amy-Selic

Amy-Selic Member

Yea I'm not terribly sure either. That was pretty vague on my part but I can't explain why I find the newer material more depressing, it just is to me, so I recognize how poor that attempt was. :)

2. Belligerent

Belligerent Greekus Urungus

couldn't have said it better myself

3. Lisra

Lisra starlight spectre

I like Departer. Krister has a nice voice and it makes the song unique.

Wish Anders would sing with Jonas though.

4. Klosure

Klosure Member

Im not going down the departer route.

I have had a good chance to listen to the new album and..

TGCD still wins. My favorite albums are DO, TD and LFDGD (the last being the best).

The newer sound which is Viva and onwards...

I think the songs, production and feel of TGCD are like a book it takes be on a journey. I love every song right down to Journey Through pressure which all leave you feeling subtly haunted.

The problem I see with NITND is the lack of anything substantial in song writing. I listen and love the production, the dynamics and the DRUMS are fantastic - THAT SNARE is deep yet snappy. I love the new album dont get me wrong but TGCD is in a different league. It flows better, feels less chopped up and above all makes sense.

To get this into perspective think about the songs.

Leaders impacts powerfully - Forsaker is more of a TGCD mish mash of TGCD.

Then you have Deliberation and My Twin, 2 songs that are catchy. There is nothing on the new album that fits into Katatonia songwriting - what happened to "The Hit" song, I liked having the grab me song. TEARGAS anyone?

And sorry but Idle blood is a Porcupine Tree rip of (a good one though but doesnt sound like katatonia)

This all sounds very negative it is and it isnt. I had stuff to say about TGCD compairing it to LFDGD wich was negative but this feels different and has me a bit concerned for their next album. I am compairing within the bounds of Katatonia and that means I am not saying its shit, just that as you look at it compaired to their own works - and this is against their own works not compaired to any other bands - for me NITND was a production masterpiece but a songwriting meltdown.

They are too me a band that remain my most favourite influencial band of all time.

They still stand above the rest - just because it is an atmosphere within everyhting they do.

And time ages us all, I think Katatonia have done very well and criticism which stuggles to really slate anything they do other than within their own confinds must be a compliment.

5. insidethefall

insidethefall somewhere nowhere

Even though I voted for NiTND, I'll admit "Journey Through Pressure" is a much better closer than "Departer". Departer starts off strong but for some reason, it loses steam - maybe the fact that KL sings at the end, although I'm not really sure that's it. When I first got the album I liked it more; It's a solid song but there are more deep and interesting songs on NiTND.

6. locus_coeruleus

I've been listening to TGCD latelly. Hell, I didn't remember how much better it was than NITND. The songs are so much stronger, there are such a lot of memorable riffs, drum fills, vocal passages. I find it odd how many people actually consider NITND better than TGCD

7. DanielKRego

DanielKRego New Metal Member

As a whole, I think TGCD stands as a bit stronger overall, the album is a bit more varied and has a better flow to it.

I really, really love NITND, but the album seems to flag a bit in its quality around the second half. Songs like New Night and The Day And Then Shade are good, but don't quite stand out enough.

I think I can best put it this way. When I put TGCD into my media player, I feel like I have an album of so many different moods. When I put in NITND, on the other hand, I find the album sounding unnaturally short, almost like it's an EP in a sense, even though it's a proper full length album. I don't know if this makes my point clear :confused: