This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The Greatest Growlers?

Discussion in 'Opeth (Archived)' started by blinkgreenozzy, Sep 21, 2005.

1. blinkgreenozzy

blinkgreenozzy Raoul Duke

one thing that will never cease to amaze me is the un-human growl which Mikael can produce....i've never heard anybody growl as good as he can...who do you think are the greates growlers out there?

2. Goober

Goober Noob

As much as i dont like him, Dani Filth has such a HUGE range, and while most of his growls are black metal style, he does a pretty damn deep growl from time to time. Also the guy from amon amarth has a good growl.

3. BrandonS

BrandonS Member

Paul Kuhr from November's Doom, and the singer for Swallow the Sun.

4. Leper_/-\ffinity

Leper_/-\ffinity Child of The Grave

Dan Swano is awesome at growls, as well as Rogga from Ribspreader/Paganizer. And Nathan Gearheart from Vehemence was awesome, it's a shame that he left.

5. FRUGiHOYi

FRUGiHOYi "Since 1981"

Mikael is the best. I kind of like Sauron from Decapitated because of his accent. Dude from Suffocation is fucking sick of course!

6. DreamingofUr

DreamingofUr Desolate and Forsaken!!

Yea, Frank from suffo is just classic. My personal fave is Chief Spires from older Nile and Lord Worm for his charisma.

7. FUBAR

FUBAR Member

Steve Wilson is the undisputed master of the ultra deep death growl (with a distinct english accent)

8. madu

madu Member

Paul Kuhr's probably my favorite death vocalist.

And if you think Mikael's growl is unhuman, I take it you haven't heard Demilich.

9. A. Iverson

A. Iverson deceased

just wondering,, are these growls really genuine or do they use some kind of effect? my friend is a vocalist in a local death band here, and hes convinced that mikaels growls are not completely genuine,, he says he plugs in a little thingy in the mic to enhance and deepen the growling vocals,, so im just wondering,, is this true ??

10. Argyle

Argyle Über Cardinal

Mikael Stanne from Dark Tranquillity is the man. His range is not that big, but it's amazing how much feeling and nyances he can put in to growling. Åkerfeldt isn't bad, but on albums before the new one he has been actually pretty monotonious. I was pleasantly suprised on the progress he has gone through with the new album.

11. king_chicken

king_chicken Member

i would have to say opeth's mikael is the master because he can growl insanely and sing with one of the best voices ive hever heard. then i would agree that mikael stanne has an awesome growl too

12. lord of pain

lord of pain Member

Rob Dougherty from Into Eternity has some insane clean growls

listen to 3 dimensional apature

you'll hear the song on the upcoming tour it's simply amazing

13. FUBAR

FUBAR Member

14. Ecto

Ecto ...

The guy from Gorefest

15. :Wreath:

:Wreath: poeth/oprth fan

Mike is my greatest vocal hero!!!

But... I know I'm gonna get ostracised for this one, but what the hell :D... I really dig the original singer from Killswitch Engage. Growls, shreaks, hardcore grunting, singing (and what a nice voice he had...) or the kind of melodic screaming (kind of like Pantera...)... Heck, the guy even used whispers and declamation which is not that often for metal records... But he seemed to leave KsE because of voice problems so maybe he wasn't that good... Either way he did an outstanding job on 'Alive or just breathing'... And yeah, Michael is god! :D

16. FUBAR

FUBAR Member

I agree with you, that guy was awesome!

17. Kir-ir-Bannog

Kir-ir-Bannog ...no ordinary rabbit

DAVID VINCENT

18. gutrot

gutrot New Metal Member

I think mike is fucking awesome but have you ever heard acid baths sammy? even dax can do great grow!!!!

19. Opethian666

Opethian666 Booze influenced

That Demilich guy sounds like he's continually burping :tickled: :loco:

1. Mikael Akerfeldt (listen to Katatonia's Brave Murder Day for some of his most doomish growls)
    2. Dan Swano
    3. Ihsahn (he does some cool growling on Prometheus)
    4. Shagrath (listen to the difference between Enthrone Darkness Thriumphant and Death Cult Armageddon)
    5. Chuck Billy (He changed from a Thrash Metal vocalist to Death Metal vocalist and on The Gathering he does them all)

Oh yeah, that dude from Killswitch Engage was an amazing vocalist, I agree. I also love Alive Or Just Breathing, I hate what they're doing now though.

20. Autumnal

Autumnal Member

First off let me state that Mikael is my favorite growler fro numerous reasons: his growl is distinct, he goes from deep to high, and there is so much emotion in a lot of his growling. Sometimes when he starts off growling with a closed mouth feel and then widens his mouth to that unleashed roar it gives me chills. I second the David Vincent suggestion. Not the deepest growler (and truthfully what he does a lot might not even be called growling). He does have distinction and he adds to the experience of the music, as opposed to many metal bands where it feels like the vocals sit on top of the mix. I like Barney from Napalm Death (Ripe for the Breaking, mmmm). Also, on the subject of metalcore/thrash bands like KsE, I love the dude from Unearth, as well as God Forbid.

Also, this might not exactly be growling as you would call it, but Johan Von Roy of Suicide Commando. It's terror EBM, not death metal, but I would highly suggest you guys check out the track 'Love Breeds Suicide', perhaps 'Raise Your God'. Love Breeds Suicide is one of my favorite songs ever, and on the album Mindstrip, which those tracks are off of, he had a wonderful vocal effect. Coincidentally, I have always wanted to hear Akerfeldt doing love breeds suicide.

Oh, Mr. Stanne also rocks my world. And does anyone hate me for actually liking John Tardy? (Obituary)