This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The Guitar Tuning Thread

Discussion in 'Musicians Discussion' started by veil the sky, Feb 22, 2002.

1. veil the sky

veil the sky Lexicon V

Obvious really

What tunings do y'all use and WHY dagnammit

I for one just use boring old standard E tuning. Originally because I couldn't be naffed to play around with tunings every time I'd rehearse, but also because I find different tunings tend to reak havoc with your guitar. I think they're built primarily for standard tuning.

Tell all peeps.

2. TinMan666

TinMan666 Member

standard concert pitch tuning for me.

B
    E
    A
    D
    G
    B
    E

alternate tunings are for poofters.

3. Atticus

Atticus New Metal Member

As the layer down of the tuning gauntlet, I feel compelled to respond.

My band Electrickery tune to CFBbEbGC.

We did it so we can cover Iron Maiden songs as this puts the music nicely into the singers range. :lol:

Well that's not actually the reason, that's just a nice side effect! No, we really did it because it made everything sound mightily heavy. It's kind of a cheating way of making the sound artificially heavy, that roaring, growling sound from your Marshall back-line is extremely satisfying, and we could never go back frankly.

I also believe it extends the dynamic range - solos sound more folorn as they contrast hugely with the rumble underneath.

But yes you're right, guitars are not generally made to deal with different tunings, and an entirely different set-up (intonation/action etc.etc.) is neccesary.
    Unfortunately our local guitar bloke refuses to do setups for alternate tunings, because he feels it is not using the guitar correctly. Miserable sod.

4. yourdeadgroom

yourdeadgroom Black Stone Wielder

I currently tune down a step, to D. This was so I could play along to my Death CDs, but I've been in this tuning for about a year now, so all the songs I've written recently are in that tuning. They don't sound right played back in E, so I'm staying in D for the forseeable future.

5. TinMan666

TinMan666 Member

geez I can't believe no one has flamed me for that yet! :lol:

6. Atticus

Atticus New Metal Member

Being enlightened and intelligent I don't consider being called a poofter to be an insult.

:D

God I'm so PC it hurts...

7. minDthEgaP

minDthEgaP Lost in Tears

I thought I'd just point out that using different gauge strings causes the same effect that different tuning does to the tention in the neck of the guitar etc. A good guitar should work well in different tunings and with different gauge strings...

I myself play in D with 09-46 strings.

8. veil the sky

veil the sky Lexicon V

Yeh you're absolutely right, it's only a matter of a tiny change in tension. Of course heavier strings have to be tighter to be at the right pitch!

I was really referring to totally outlandish tunings which can cause trouble with yer machine. Just check out the stroppy guitar technician:

The guy who sets up my guitar even moans at me for using heavy guage low strings!!!! Let alone funny tunings.

If you've got a fixed bridge guitar with a solid wood one-piece body, clearly it's gonna take a lot more punishment and variant tensions. But if you own a floyd rose machine with a thin neck and a scratchplate, particularly if it's at the lower end of the price range, it's going to start to feel the heat if you are using extreme guages OR tunings. That's what techs get upset about.

hehe, dude, trust me, do NOT go into the 'HATE PIT' you'll be damaged for life!!!

(Your mp3s rock by the way! The whole of DesolatioN has got one now :D We'll sort out one of those gigs v. soon!)

9. Surt

Surt New Metal Member

Haha, yes!

I use standard "E-A-D-G-B-E" tuning with 0.10-0.52 gauge DRs.

10. TheRedman

TheRedman bad ass mutha fucka.

CGCFAD (I think that's what I'm tuned to) and I used .011-.048 strings...

I totally agree with the idea that lower tuned guitars bring out the solos more... i'm the only guitarist in the band and I aim for as much lows and highs as possible during a song!

ROCK!

11. Dvoters

Dvoters There is a rain falling

We use dropped D tuning for our tunes, gives it a more 'blacker' sound. :headbang: