This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The Longest Year MCD

Discussion in 'Katatonia' started by KittyKatatonia, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Phoenix5

Phoenix5 d3v4s7a710n

touche

2. Coma323

Coma323 Member

[​IMG]

good ole itunes...

3. Bleak Eyes

Bleak Eyes Irrelevant

Haha, wow.

I purchased Sold Heart on iTunes yesterday and have been playing it a lot. It is a really solid track and obviously addictive. I might get the Idle Blood remix too. For anyone who has heard it, is it enjoyable?

4. BlueSky

BlueSky New Metal Member

Tis enjoyable, and the Day & Then remix is even better. I know people (specifically Lyre's bich'az) will flip out if I say this, but I might like it more than the orignal.

Edit: Perhaps you wanna try before you buy?

#124 BlueSky, Mar 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
  5. Bleak Eyes

Bleak Eyes Irrelevant

I have heard the Day And Then The Shade remix. It is very good. It would be hard for me to enjoy a remix more than the original, unless it blew me away.

6. Brave.Archangel

Brave.Archangel Inside the City of Glass

I love the Day & Then The Shade remix, almost more than the original. What I like about it is when the electronic part kicks in, you can distinguish the actual melody that is kinda covered up by the DADA-DA DADA-DA (blaring guitars in the original). The arpeggios are really well written I realize; super catchy and awesome with the atmospheric electronica trip hop vibe.

Also, the vocal lines are distributed out much less conventionally. I love how Frank made the "Make a bran new vow... in the heat of an evening" part into a prominent chorus. And then uses the actual chorus only once and in the end- makes in much more powerful.

But come on they're both great songs

7. devinity

devinity strega bianca velenosa

sold heart is so so sweet.
    jonas always the greatest one

8. BlueSky

BlueSky New Metal Member

@Brave: I love the verse in the original. Not only is it catchy, but it's so upbeat, and totally unexpected from the band. In comparison it makes the prominent chorus seem weak. I don't like that part in either song since the melody is kinda goofy imo. It's so abrupt, and doesn't jell well. The main reason I probably like the remix more is the electronics open up this whole new melodic spectrum instead of all those heavy handed riffs that I'm not overly fond of.

9. Brave.Archangel

Brave.Archangel Inside the City of Glass

Right. I think that in many Katatonia songs sometimes pre choruses and verses are often more powerful than the choruses. That doesn't make the choruses weak, but rather an end to a means. Day and then The Shade would be a great example. Follower also comes to mind.

10. FlawedCoil82

FlawedCoil82 Member

Yea, I have noticed that Katatonia is not a "hooky chorus" type band. A lot of their songs feature verses or even bridges that are better and more melodic than the choruses ("July"'s intro is my favorite part of that song).

I also agree about "Day And Then The Shade". As BlueSky said, the overall melody during the verses sounds rather upbeat and it's a rare sound coming from Katatonia (at least that I've heard thus far). But then the chorus kicks in and it's mediocre at best. The verses and bridge/outro of that song are great. As far as the remix goes, I love the atmospheric intro and the piano keys behind the vocals. It sounds like it is going to build into something grand. But overall, I am not a fan of the "trip hop" beats and once those start in at around the 1:34 mark, it sort of loses my interest. I like when those synthesized beats are mixed with the more traditional guitars/organic percussion (or even when a 80's new wave synth sound is mixed in with modern rock like what The Panic Division currently does). But by themselves, those synth beats just hold no power and feel very empty.
    Jack

11. Bleak Eyes

Bleak Eyes Irrelevant

I thought that the electronic beat in Day And Then The Shade was out of place at first, but after that, I started to like it.

12. the mourner13

Sold Heart is great!!!!!!!!!!! It grows on me more every second... If this is all Jonas too, I think Jonas MUST do a whole album like this!!!

13. FlawedCoil82

FlawedCoil82 Member

I don't know about that...I think a whole album of "Unfurls" and "Sold Hearts" would get quite boring with nothing else to mix it up. I love soft vocals against darker music. Soft vocals with soft music doesn't work that well for me as full albums. It's great for a few songs though.

14. Lisra

Lisra starlight spectre

Can't see why it wouldn't work.. there are hundrets of albums build around that...

Massive Attack without the rapping, for one.

15. Migs

Migs Friday the 13th addict

Can anyone tell me if they're currently selling the MCD at the european gigs?

16. Lisra

Lisra starlight spectre

they didnt when I saw them but the ep wasnt out then.. so they might. Anyone?

17. noctambulant

noctambulant Member

I was desperately waiting for a climax and it ended up plain and boring....Now I can say that there's a katatonia song that I unfortunately dislike :(

18. Wildhoney

Wildhoney Allegra Fiorentina

Really, is there anyone who saw Katatonia live in this last week and noticed if they had some copies of the ep with them? By the way, it's another week of wait and finally I'll catch 'em live too! Hope to find 'The longest year' there at the gig in Ljubljana, otherwise I'll order it when I'm back.

19. Noituudenaika

Noituudenaika Katatonic

Still waiting for mine to arrive.

20. thomassj

thomassj Member

They did sell the MCD at the gig in Nottingham a couple of weeks ago.