This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The Moody Blues

Discussion in 'Non-Opeth Music Chat' started by Holocaust on the Moon, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Holocaust on the Moon

Holocaust on the Moon Temples of Syrinx

I want to get into this band, but I don't know where to start. Can someone recommend me some of their best albums?

2. sgswimmer

sgswimmer Member

i like their older stuff

"in search of the lost chord" is decent

3. Heir Apparent

Heir Apparent Member

I love Moody. Personally I think "In Search of The Lost Chord" is their best album, but thats because it's super psychedelic and trippy madness, which I love. I think that is a very good place to start, or perhaps "To Our Children's, Children's Children". You really can't go wrong with any of their first seven albums ("the great 7").

4. Tubbs

Tubbs Bi-weekly top album:

Days of Future Passed, Threshold of a Dream, Lost Chord, all good

At least, those are the only ones I've heard.

5. in_my_time_of_disease

in_my_time_of_disease Whipping Post

Days of Future passed, Every good boy deserves favor and On a threshold of a dream all rape, so I'd get those first.

6. DivineMomentsofTruth

DivineMomentsofTruth Forever Shpongled

Days of Future Passed (esp. Nights in White Satin & Tuesday Afternoon), To Our Children's Children's Children (Gypsy, Eternity Road esp.), On the Threshhold (Lovely To see You & Are you sitting comfortably) & In Search of the Lost Chord (Legend of a Mind, Ride my See-saw and Voices in the Sky) are all great choices to get started as well as probably my favorite albums/songs of theirs.

A really fantastic band. Skip anything after Seventh Sojourn though, as the Moodies took a sharp downward turn in the 80s (like so many other bands).

7. Kushantaiidan

Kushantaiidan SPASIBA AX.

The Moody Blues are awesome. Proto pre prog goodness. or something. I love A Question Of Balance, but im still slowly working through the rest of their material.

Edit: Actually, thanks to this thread, I'm now listening to A Question Of Balance. It's absolutely fantastic. These guys were amazing for their time.

8. Frosties

Frosties Blind @ heart

I'm not a fan of these guys, but why do you guys think so many bands got so bad in the 80's? I mean, it's kinda weird that so many bands that were (and still are) revered, especially in the prog rock scene, took so many drastic changes in their sound, and almost every single one of them for the worse. The only band that I really like that this happened to is Camel, but from what I hear, it happened to Yes, Genesis, Rush and countless others.

Not to bring this thread off track, but I was just wondering....

9. Holocaust on the Moon

Holocaust on the Moon Temples of Syrinx

Prog was becoming unfashionable thanks to the punk and new age movements, so a lot of bands felt they needed to change their sound to survive. I feel that the only prog band who didn't "sell out" was Rush. Even though they became more accessible and used more synth, the elements were already there and the transition was seamless rather than forced compared to Yes or Genesis.

Edit: King Crimson also stayed 100% prog, even more so than Rush.

Oh and thanks for the suggestions guys.

10. Arasmas

Arasmas New Metal Member

Story In Your Eyes is one of my favorite songs of all time easily

11. i aint play this

Days of Future Passed and In Search of the Lost Chord are completely amazing iyamho ttytt.

12. Kushantaiidan

Kushantaiidan SPASIBA AX.

Jethro Tull also went pretty crap in the 80's. A was tolerable, and Broadsword and the beast was okayish, but I hate the eighties drums. Then after that they went poo. But they still managed to release like 14 consistantly good albums, before turning to poo. I heart the tull though.

How about ELP's love beach!

But yeah it was a shame so many bands had stylistic changes for the worst in the eighties. King Crimson and Rush are definately exceptions.

Im yet to hear how the Moody Blues evolved though. Still working my way through their material.

13. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Long Distance Voyager

I think one of the earlier Moodies albums that is often underrated is To Our Children's Children's Children. Every Good Boy Deserves Favor is probably my least favorite, though there are a couple of great songs on that record. Generally agree what others have said about the eighties and prog. Of the latter Moodies records I don't mind Octave (1978) and Long Distance Voyager has some good moments on it. Patrick Moraz has some interesting moments on 1986's In Your Wildest Dreams, though I wished they would have used his considerable skills more while he was in the band. Definitely a different player from Mike Pinder.

14. Kenneth R.

Kenneth R. Cináed

Personally, I think every one of those just improved.

But then, I have little business in this thread as I don't like the Moody Blues at all.

15. Frodo's Bulk

Frodo's Bulk New Metal Member

you have little business doing anything other than drinking poison, you god-fluffing power metal dork

16. Arasmas

Arasmas New Metal Member

17. Jon Snow

Jon Snow asoiaf afaict

I enjoy Days of Future Passed through The Seventh Sojourn quite a bit. Basically their first seven albums if you don't count their first one which was completely different.

18. Kenneth R.

Kenneth R. Cináed

Right... :lol:

19. Ozzloaf

Ozzloaf Art Geek

My dad bought me Days of Future Passed a bit ago and I don't like it. It's pretty... disney-ish hahaha. My dad said that they sound just like King Crimson but I don't hear the similarity. He used to be a big fan of them (and KC) back in the day.

20. Arasmas

Arasmas New Metal Member

well obviously the parts with the orchestra/voice-overs are gay, but every song on that album rules, FACT