This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The movie discussion thread (WARNING: SPOILERS INSIDE!)

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Celestial-Todd, May 29, 2006.

1. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

So, today I took a much needed day off and went to see the new Indiana Jones movie.

Well....

The things the movie failed to do:

• Entertain me
    • Flow well
    • Be even remotely plausible, even when you expect "bad science" to make the story work
    • Uphold the consistent goodness of the franchise

However, the movie did do the following:

• Gave me ass cancer
    • Gave my cancerous ass AIDS
    • Made baby Jesus cry
    • Killed all of the cute puppies and kittens
    • Confirmed to me that George Lucas has NO FUCKING CLUE how to make a good movie anymore

What a complete and utter abortion of a movie! I could vomit faeces onto the rotting disembowelled remains of a retarded camel and call that a better movie than what I had the misfortune to waste two hours of my life on that I'll never get back. Way to fuck up the great memories of the series, George! And for fucking shame, Steven Spielberg - you should know better!! Argh!

The last time I walked out of a movie feeling so angry and cheated was the special edition of Return Of The Jedi with the new retarded bits that were put in. I guess I should have expected that and known better... *sigh*

If you haven't seen this yet, my advice: Avoid. Go watch a 5yo on a tricycle getting run over by a combine harvester. It's just as horrible but at least it's interesting, which is something this movie doesn't have going for it!

2. Over the wall

Over the wall Member

So the next album is going to have a cannibal corpse feel to it huh Tim? :p

3. Lord Tim

That would STILL make a better movie than what I just saw! ARRGGH! *continues to rant*

4. Lord Tim

And today, continuing my weekend off, I saw the new Narnia movie. For a "kiddies version" of Lord Of The Rings, it was actually really good. VERY dark compared to the first one. Not what I'd call a classic but I did really enjoy it all the same. :)

... it's nice to walk out of a cinema without wanting to push old people into oncoming traffic while you're ranting and raving about shat-on childhood memories. ;)

5. cro4eva

cro4eva Member

I wonder who came up with most of the ideas. Given that C.S Lewis and J.R.R Tolkien were friends and shared there stories together, it is no wonder there are so many similarities.

I thought the Narnia movie was ok, I didn't think it had enough plot it was more about this one big battle, and not enough depth in the characters. Harry Gregson-Williams score was decent though, had some nice melodies. Nothing inspirational though really.

6. Lord Tim

I'd tend to agree with that. I did enjoy it but it was a little thin in places, plot-wise. From what I understand, they did quite a lot of chopping and changing from the original story though, to adapt it to film - as you do - so that may have had a bearing on how it came across with the plot, perhaps?

7. monophonic

monophonic Member

I remmember the Narnia series on ABC when I was like 3 years old. I heard that the new film has a ridiculous body count considering its a kids movie.

And true the new Idiana Jones movie is an abomination!!!:puke:

8. Lord Tim

Yeah, the battle scenes are insane! There's no real blood or anything, though, or I'd expect the rating to be somewhat more adult, but even in spite of that, it's still pretty intense for a kids' film!

9. Rick

Rick Senior User

Religion. Namely Christianity and Paganism, can be to credit for most of the themes in both of those authors books. Coughaslanjesuscough.

Please tell me you guys have seen the 'original' Naria movies? They are pretty good.

The book isn't a 'kids' book, it's just as dark as LOTR.

10. Goreripper

Goreripper Metal as fuck

C.S. Lewis was one of the 20th Century's leading Christian apologists. The entire Chronicles of Narnia was a Christian allegory with Aslan representing Christ. It shits me that no one has ever made a big deal about this, but the Golden Compass was pilloried for esposuing atheism.

Also, The Lord of the Rings is also an allegory for Christianity, but a far less overt one. In fact, Tolkien was highly critical of Lewis for the overbearing Christian themes of the Narnia series.

11. Awake_In_Animosity

Awake_In_Animosity Fearing a Blank Planet

Indiana Jones 4 had moments, moments that sucked more than other moments.

12. maiL huma

maiL huma Collingwood forever

Very much so - the book is basically this: Children return to Narnia, walk around, realise a lot of time has passed. See Dwarf getting thrown overboard into river, rescue dwarf. Dwarf tells story of Caspian - this is everything from his nurse being sent away for telling tales of the 'old' narnia, through to Caspian fleeing, making an army of old Narnians and battling Miraz - the children are not present for any of these things. The raid on the castle for example, is entirely made up for the film. This tale takes up a good 5/6 chapters. Children agree Caspian needs help, go off to join his army. Peter challenges Miraz to a duel, trechary ensues. Lucy and Susan are off prancing about the country side with Aslan. In fact, if memory serves me, they don't ever actually meet Caspian until the last chapter. The last part is pretty much the same. Aslan offers to send the Telmarines back to the island on Erath, send the children home.

I thought the film was quite good marred by the performances of the Children. Lucy was okay, but I thought the others, especially Peter was orful. I thought the same in the first film too. I quite enjoyed it, but having grown up with the books, it feels like something was missing...I dunno what though.

I mean, I grew up reading LOTR as well, and came away from Jackson's films totally blown away - it was his own interpretation and there were some things I didn't like, but overall, as a fan of the book, I was in awe (and still am whenever I rewatch them). I was kinda hoping for the same thing with the Narnia films. I think I really enjoy the Narnia books (still) because of Lewis' prose, which is so wonderfully English and of its time, and that is something you can never translate to the screen.

13. Rick

Rick Senior User

The one thing i hate about film is that it destroys my visual representation of things. I can't actually remember how i thought of Froddo or Gandalf anymore becuase of the films... I know my versions were bad-ass though:lol:.

14. Rick

Rick Senior User

Helloween = yawn.

15. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Happy Little Boozer

The Bucketlist: fantastic movie (as expected, seeing it has both Nicholson and Morgan Freeman!). VERY enjoyable and quite a few humorous one-liners. It has a great ending too.

300: Turned it off after 15 minutes. What a pile of overdone shit. The acting/characters reminded me of something off Neighbours, it was so overdramatic. And the amount of fancy camerawork was complete overkill.

16. TheDenimRager

TheDenimRager Hats make things better.

Mongol - AWESOME.

17. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

Be Kind Rewind - Watched it on the plane back from Oz. It had its moments but I wouldn't buy it.

18. monophonic

monophonic Member

Saw a Japanese movie called Azumi which turned out to be a total Slaughter Fest. A movie you'd rent but wouldnt buy. Apparently its the first film in Cinema to have a female slaughter 200 people singlehandedly(take that Rambo).

19. Rick

Rick Senior User

Go watch Versus and Aragami (the latter, rather odd and a bit lost in translation, but awesome none the less). Azumi is pretty rad.

20. mattt

mattt Yes.

Are you for real? That movie was beyond awful. Freeman and Nicholson can't do much when the script is shit.