This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

I Want You!

Join Symphony X and discover tons of other great Metal forums, sign up today!

THE OFFICIAL DREAM THEATER DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'Symphony X (Unofficial)' started by progmetaldan, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manticore999

manticore999 Member

I made it to Ministry of Lost Souls and just lost interest. I didn't hear anything that would make me go back and even listen a 2nd time. Damn .... I had such high hopes. I wasn't crazy about the last 2 DT ablums, but found at least 1 or 2 songs on each that I liked. SC doesn't have 1 that interests me. Sigh ..... maybe next time, but I'm just starting to lose interest in this band.

2. squidfetish

squidfetish Member

I've had the album for about 4 days now. I love it - it ain't been off the deck yet.... and on current form it won't be off the deck til my SX album arrives. Win! :headbang:

3. _Gentleman of_the Snow_

_Gentleman of_the Snow_ Prog' Drummer

^^^

Say... ever have sex with a squid?

4. Horus

Horus and his imaginary friend

YES!!!

.... no.

5. bball_1523

bball_1523 Member

I'm actually liking some of the songs, but it still doesn't capture my heart like the Accolade II or something. I am starting to like enemies pt. 1 and dark eternal night.

6. squidfetish

squidfetish Member

Not yet....... slippery little fuckers..... :heh:

7. TuoDrable

TuoDrable Member

I'm listening to it right now, but it's all like one flat line -------------
    While scenes varried from _ to - to / to \, this album quite doesn't.
    Then again it's better than octavarium, but I really disliked that one.
    Take another change of seasons and I'm melting... but Octavarium didn't make it. And there's no song on the new album that is something...

I'll try and find something, usually my first listening isn't the best.

8. ABQShredHead

ABQShredHead ©1970

^ Might I suggest a couple Rochefort 10s first? :lol:

9. Kenneth R.

Kenneth R. Cináed

Heh, that sums it up right there. Music isn't any good unless you're drunk = bad album. I can't believe people are STILL talking about it. I suppose you wouldn't have to be as drunk as you would to enjoy ToT or 8VM

10. Anonymous

Anonymous L'Étranger

I thought you had said you liked this one Ken?

11. ABQShredHead

ABQShredHead ©1970

I'm probably one of the few people who like 'em all. And I like Rochefort 10. Still looking for Westvleteren though.

12. SyXified

SyXified Member

I've been back and forth on my feelings for this album for days, but I can say this much: it is definitely one of the most unique albums I've ever heard in terms of the mood it captures. They certainly latched onto a general vibe and went with it. Oddly enough, it seems to be a similar vibe as Serpent's Kiss, and I'll be interested to see how much the two efforts end up having in common (mood wise at least). I don't love any of the songs particularly, but I like all of them except Profits of War, which is ridiculous. As always, I fricken love Jordan Rudess. Hey, Petrucci sweeps... and sweeps well on this album! He finally figured it out!

For some reason I naturally think of Resident Evil 4 during In the Presence of Enemies Pt.2 (the cult group and the castle, if anyone knows the game). There are a couple of moments that remind me of Super Metroid as well. If it weren't for video games, where would prog metal be?

13. ejh

ejh New Metal Member

My thoughts about the new DT album:
    I like it, although there's nothing really new, it has all been done before on earlier albums. But I like it. It rocks, it's heavy, it's mellow, there's lots of guitarplaying, I really like the epic In the Presence of Enemies, I even like the fantasy-themed lyrics, and I've always liked Labrie's voice. But..........

My main problem lies in the fact that DT tries to cut and paste all those solo-stuff in their songs. Some 'funny' keyboardsolo here, a tiny bit of samba there...... sigh...... I just wish they would make songs with more 'unity'. They just interrupt their song with it.:erk:

Just look at the instrumental part of Eternal Night: one moment they're playing very heavy stuff, and suddenly there's Jordan Rudess playing some keyboardstuff that just doesn't fit the style or the mood of the song, and after just ten seconds they're going back to the heavy stuff. It's like they thought ''Hey, guys, we have to do this and that, otherwise Jordan's got nothing to do for a while!'' (the same goes for the other members, by the way, but I think Jordan's got the largest part in this....)
    They started it on Scenes, and it's been there ever since...... It's like they wanna redo Dance of Eternity again and again and again.
    That's my only complaint about the album.

Hope you all enjoy it.........

EJH

14. Noble Viking

Noble Viking Aka Herman Li

who are you talking to? I doubt a lot of the people here have the sophistication to enjoy an ale as complex as the Rochefort 10...hence that's why they can't appreciate the new Dream Theater :p

15. anacrucix

anacrucix aka Shredcaptain Matt

yeah i think you pretty much nailed it man, dream theater has stopped making sense to me, theyll just completely change harmony, rhythm, texture and instrumentation in the blink of an eye and 10 seconds later its something completely different. having said that, my favourite bit of the album is probably the gay xylophone solo after the hawaiin solo. still doesnt fit the song though!!

16. raythetse

raythetse Where am I?

definitely agree about the rudess solo in that TDEN part... wtf is with that? they did it a bit in ToT and it was annoying as hell, but this is even more rediculous. I think ToT would have been a far better album than it was if it weren't for the goof moments as i call them. and this one on DEN is way goofier than any ones on ToT... wtf DT?

17. viper

viper New Metal Member

Personally, I dig that shit.

18. Detective Clarence Beauregard

Wow. Agreed. Resident Evil 4 is a great game, and yes... the first part of ITPOE pt. 2 is very creepy. What parts reminded you of Metroid?

19. progmetaldan

progmetaldan Member

I enjoy randomness in music... Like Spastic Ink...

20. anacrucix

anacrucix aka Shredcaptain Matt

i like it in some music, because it fits, like in to-mera's "Obscure Oblivion", they are playing brutal metal and then they go into a smooth jazz section, and it just works really really well, it actually makes some musical sense. shame that songs fuckin awful because i like the jazz section.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.