This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The Official Good Television Thread

Discussion in 'GMD Social Forum' started by Satanstoenail, May 10, 2008.

1. no country for old wainds

any of you seen GOTHAM or BOSCH? GOTHAM kinda fell to pieces over the last few eps, but i enjoyed the bulk of the run enough to give season 2 a chance - at its best it's exactly what i want out of a batman tv adaptation in 2015. BOSCH is one of the more adept single-case detective series i've seen. it's pretty old school, not aiming as high as the likes of TRUE DETECTIVE or especially THE WIRE (which it's clearly influenced by - and shares cast members with), but for people who love murder mystery tropes elevated beyond the usual TV tripe then it's a must (imdb rating is 8.4 so i guess the people agree, whatever that's worth). it's an amazon instant video exclusive so idk what availability is like for those who don't have amazon.

i still haven't started the final season of JUSTIFIED yet because i love that show so much and i really really don't want it to end. instead i'm finally jumping into THE WALKING DEAD for the first time. hoping it'll live up to the hype.

2. TechnicalBarbarity

TechnicalBarbarity -TheNightsBane-

The second season of The Tudors is great. Much better than The Borgias ... which was a pretty cringeworthy series overall imo, not even in the same league to be honest(in any possible way).

I missed the last half of episode 9 of BCS and accidentally deleted it from my DVR. So now i have to wait for it to record again before i watch the finale. :(

3. J.

J. Old Fart

Just finished season 2. Easily the best thing on TV. Love how its following the story of Ragnar and his famous sons so closely. It was neat seeing Ivar the Boneless, Sigurd Snake in the Eye, and how Bjorn Ironside got his name. Of course, this is all taken with liberty, but TV sucks nowadays and here's a show that takes chances. Love the Odinism vs Christianity imagery in the show. And the music....! That intro and the music thoughout could easily be the intros/outros of our favorite viking metal albums. Ill stop jerking off now.

I enjoyed Spartacus. Definitely got better after the first season. Great ending. THat red head bitch in the prequel was my favorite

4. TechnicalBarbarity

yea i love that intro track :kickass:

but the original version of that song sounds much different, it's a chick singing from what i remember.

5. J.

J. Old Fart

#2425 J., Apr 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
  6. Matt

Matt Active Member

It's so sad that its ending. It's such a good show. The final season is pretty good, there's like one episode left and I have no idea whats going to happen.

I might have to start watching this. My dad loves it and that templars idea sounds fucking awesome

7. tagradh

tagradh Active Member

I've found the final season of Justified a bit crap, at least by the show's standards, which sucks. They've got Sam Elliott. It should be the best season yet. Meh.

Will probably check out Netflix's Daredevil tomorrow. I liked the comics when I was little and Netflix have been pretty good so far.

Still waiting for a debut date on this

#2427 tagradh, Apr 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
  8. no country for old wainds

iirc it peaked with season 2, at least so far (haven't started the last season). but even sub-par JUSTIFIED totally does it for me.

9. Systematic Riffage

Systematic Riffage LZZY HALE'S #1 FAN

Just finished watching season 2 of Person of Interest and wow. I can't wait to jump into season 3

10. muzmaze

muzmaze pyramontyrsuidvan

I believe Jeremy Renner (Hurt Locker) has a hand in this Templars thing...acting or producing or maybe both? Hope it comes to light, and if its half as good as Vikings, ill be thrilled.

11. Chimaera

Chimaera Member

Anyone who has Netflix needs to check out Daredevil. Probably one of the best Netflix originals yet.

12. muzmaze

muzmaze pyramontyrsuidvan

Shit yah come Memorial Day! Paxton did well in Hatfields / McCoys...figure why not. History Chanel is on a roll.

Texas Rising - ¡First look! History Channel: http://youtu.be/zuiRsPP7mb0

13. Krigloch the Furious

Krigloch the Furious Pants full of poo

yes! I saw a trailer for that during Fast and the Furious 7 this afternoon.

14. Vegard Pompey

Vegard Pompey ALLY TO GOOD, NIGHTMARE TO YOU

Haven't seen it, but it's been on my list since I heard the guy behind Rome was making a Batman show with Donal Logue in it. I'd have started watching already but ~20 episode seasons are rather daunting.

Have you ever seen Person of Interest? I can't imagine any network procedural ever topping that one.

It won't.

You're completely out of your mind, Vikings is garbage. The acting is shit (every actor speaks with a different accent), characters are paper flat and the writing just sucks overall. And they seriously need to up the violence, that blood eagle episode was the tamest shit I've ever seen. Athelstan's awesome though, I'll concede that much.

GoT is objectively better in pretty much every conceivable way.

I got what I wanted from the last season. Great new characters, great old characters, witty banter and no shitty Orange is the New Black-plotline. Didn't care for the finale but I'm not exactly upset about it, it was an unambitious ending to an unambitious show.

S04 > S02 > S01 > S06 > S03 > S05.

15. TechnicalBarbarity

Vikings is nowhere near great and shouldn't even be mentioned with GoT. But it's far from garbage. And yes while there's plenty of bad acting, it's still watchable actually.

And while i haven't seen the last twos seasons, it's not like Justified is steps above Vikings in any of the areas you mentioned either.

Gotham is okay ... missed the last few episodes though and not sure if i should continue.

16. tagradh

tagradh Active Member

I'd swap 2 and 4 around, but that's how I'd probably rank them too.

Asides that it had some great actors/acting, and fantastic dialogue, which I'm presuming falls under 'writing'.

Vikings is like Sons of Anarchy. Both are okay, but both have a load of dumb fans that put them up on a pedestal they don't deserve to be on because Vikings and bikers are trendy. They're popular with the kind of people that infest sites like tumblr.

Scummy people.

17. TechnicalBarbarity

Actors/acting have nothing to to with the writing bro, lol. And the writing for both of those shows are okay, but nothing to write home about.

18. no country for old wainds

donal logue is the best thing about it along with robin lord taylor's penguin. i think the mistake they made with gotham is the first season was supposed to end much earlier - the final few episodes would've been better as the start for season 2 as they're clearly preparing for the meat of the next season anyway. the momentum's just totally gone by the 'finale'. i'd also prefer if fish mooney fucked off because more or less everything involving her is dogshit and she's a terrible character.

no. i will check it out.

i quite like it so far tbh. low expectations probably helped, but i like the way it's starting to subvert perceptions of the characters - and they're generally just about fleshed out enough to work for me in this context. obviously it's a little on the nose thematically and can deevolve into soap opera at times, but it's not pulling as many punches as i feared it would. i just wonder where they're gonna go with it, i'm only on the latter stages of season 2 and i can already feel them starting to pluck new sub-plots out of the air.

my dad's pressuring me to watch this :( i'm gonna watch GoT instead.

19. unknown

unknown fuck ftagn

the first few episodes of the new season for GoT have been pretty meh. They've had some good moments but nothing mind blowing overall

I'm waiting for True Detective and Fargo to start back up

20. rms

rms Active Member

first few? You work for HBO now?