This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The Official Good Television Thread

Discussion in 'GMD Social Forum' started by Satanstoenail, May 10, 2008.

1. rms

rms Active Member

...yeah, what a bad finish?

2. Einherjar86

Einherjar86 Active Member

It was a letdown, especially given the quality of earlier episodes.

3. rms

rms Active Member

got production heads all over that. bleh

4. TechnicalBarbarity

TechnicalBarbarity -TheNightsBane-

5. Krigloch the Furious

Krigloch the Furious Pants full of poo

The Witcher was great
    Loved Jaskier the bard

6. Krigloch the Furious

Krigloch the Furious Pants full of poo

Mandalorian makes me fucking happy

Onder likes this.
  7. CiG

CiG Primordial Soup of Radioactive Sewage

My brother has been making me watch that Witcher series, pretty cool so far.

Krigloch the Furious likes this.
  8. Slammed

Slammed Active Member

Finished watching Mr Mercedes last night. I haven't read the books to know how part 3 actually fitted into the story but in the TV series it felt like a lot of filler to explain a very small part of the story. S1 and S2 were good, fairly fast moving, a cast that worked well together and the story held up reasonably well. But S3 felt a bit like a stand alone series, it was needed to finish the story, but the secondary story felt a bit like filler to pad out 10 episodes. Although seeing Captain Janeway as a psychopathic cockhungry wildebeest was quite funny.

9. Funerary_Doom

Funerary_Doom My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Binged the Mandalorian with my sister and thoroughly enjoyed it. My oldest sister and brother were Star Wars fanatics and I just remember bits and pieces from their conversations and when they would watch the movies at home. However, now I'm interested in learning more about the story and watching it properly. Next show I'll marathon is The Witcher.

Onder and CiG like this.
  10. Vegard Pompey

Vegard Pompey ALLY TO GOOD, NIGHTMARE TO YOU

Finished The Expanse s04. The last two episodes were great but in general I thought it was the weakest season so far. And yet from what I've read it seems to be highly acclaimed so I'm not sure what I'm missing? It felt like the whole solar system was on standby while all the real drama was isolated to New Terra, and most of the conflict in that arc stemmed from a single one-dimensional villain relentlessly trying to fuck shit up.

Re: the ending,

God fucking dammit Ashford why'd you have to go after Inaros with a team of unnamed tertiary characters?? Anyone could see how that was gonna play out...

Einherjar86 likes this.
  11. Einherjar86

I'm wondering when the show *ahem* expands too much for its own good. Personally, I don't think it's reached that point yet, but I'm worried that it will. The fourth season pushed the boundaries, mainly for the reason you say: that it's introducing more plots than it can effectively handle. That being said, I think the point of this season was to underscore the colonial mentality of the Inners, embodied by Murty. It's the system-wide struggle between the Inners and Belters distilled into a single-colony meltdown (with some weird alien shit complicating matters).

Anyway, I can see how it might seem like killing time, but I was on board for the ride. Also, I actually thought the structure of the season was kinda brilliant, i.e. to have the shit on New Terra occupying the foreground (as it does on earthly media) while all the clandestine matters involving Inaros, Mars, and the political maneuvering on earth basically take a back seat.

12. CiG

Caught up on some more Mandalorian last night, will watch the final episode of the season tonight. Remakes usually suck but if they ever decided to reboot Xena: Warrior Princess...

gina_carano_mandalorian.0.jpg

...just saying. :D

13. Onder

Onder Gegen unendlich

I'd sure as fuck watch a super violent Xena reboot with a lot of nudity. Just keep the storyline really dumb, I don't care. A lot of blood is needed plus some sexual tension between Xena and Gabrielle.

CiG likes this.
  14. CiG

Been rewatching Deadwood with my brother and it's his first time seeing it. I forgot they say "cocksucker" like 300 times in the pilot episode. :lol:

15. TechnicalBarbarity

i remember Swearengens mustache looking kind of funny in the pilot.

16. Weyland

Weyland Member

The Witcher, Netflix make shit on books, take this shit and made screenplay for that. I was disappointment

Onder likes this.
  17. CiG

Cool sudden Engrish gimmick.

18. Einherjar86

Finally finished Mr. Robot. It took a while to wrap up, but it was worth the wait. I have a tough time ranking shows, but this definitely makes its way into my top three. Better than any of the AMC or FX original series. Patient, thoughtful, brooding, then slams you over the head at the right time. I also think Sam Esmail's handling is one of the most tactful and identifiable on TV today--love the juxtaposition of beautifully symmetrical architecture alongside off-center human subjects. A visually gorgeous show with a stunning narrative and remarkable actors.

19. Vegard Pompey

Vegard Pompey ALLY TO GOOD, NIGHTMARE TO YOU

What else would you place in your top 3, out of curiosity?

I stuck with Mr. Robot all the way to the end. I found it to be a staggeringly inventive series from start to finish (love the unique cinematography in particular) but also kind of all over the place in terms of quality. Wouldn't place it anywhere near my top 10 but I'm glad it happened.

So many characters returned in a diminished capacity, if at all, in season 4 that it made me wonder if their budget was slashed or if negotiations with actors fell through, with the effect that the world of the series felt a lot less vibrant than in previous seasons. It also felt like Dom was basically the deuteragonist for at least half the season and her plot bored the shit out of me. The big hack that finally brought down the Dark Army was executed with far less panache than hacks of smaller scope from prior seasons, and it made the outcome feel unearned.

THAT EPISODE was utterly brilliant and had one of those premises I'm sure any writer would be instantly jealous of - A narcissistic psychopath kidnaps the hero and his therapist, exploiting the latter to break down the former in 50 minutes of intensely psychological one-room hostage drama. I recall hearing that Esmail initially started writing Mr. Robot as a movie script, and the show came about when he started filling in the backstory for that movie. I'm wondering if that episode was what would've been the movie - it really felt like the heart of it all.

Something that fundamentally rubbed me wrong about the ending was that the character I found the most personally relatable was revealed to be a fabrication created by a mind damaged by sexual abuse. That hurts, man.

20. TechnicalBarbarity

[​IMG]