This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The Official Movie Thread

Discussion in 'GMD Social Forum' started by Manic Ferocity, May 4, 2007.

1. Psychonaut

Psychonaut God Of Emptiness

Stray Dog - Another Kurosawa/Mifune flick. It wasn't bad as far as crime movies go but the genre has come so far and I much prefer the samurai stuff.

2. -CC-

-CC- Something in My Eye

Just watched Synecdoche, New York..man that is some heavy heavy shit..(listed as Comedy in Netflix??)

Also I'd like to think it was all a dream seeing as how (SPOILER!!!!!!!! The clock said 7:45 in the very beginning of the movie when he wakes up, and at the end of the movie the painted clock on the wall said 7:45)

But that would just defeat the whole purpose of the movie. Although I'm not even sure what the purpose truly was

3. Vegard Pompey

Vegard Pompey ALLY TO GOOD, NIGHTMARE TO YOU

I've read theories about how it's about "the collective dreaming of everyone" and stuff like that, but I don't think it's awfully important to figure out "what actually happened" or anything like that. The dreamlike setting is just an excuse for Kaufman to express himself outside the confines of realism.

4. Dak

Dak mentat

Every review I read + the trailer tells me the Hurt Locker is a laughable portrayal of the military Iraq.

#1: It's the Army, so it's already a joke.
    #2: Hollywood doesn't dick about the military, it's always over sensationalized. (Black Hawk Down is a rare exception).

The Green Zone doesn't really attempt to make to accurate of a portrayal of the Army, although based on the couple of formal SF I knew, their SF depiction was fairly accurate.

All that aside, we went into Iraq for a variety of reason, none of which were sold to the public. There either never were "WMDs", or Iraq had plenty of time to move them into Syria before we got there.

It blows my mind no one ever stops to think why Iraq never put up a fight in either invasion. Hussein was put into power by the US and was used as controlled opposition. The whole thing is a fucking game of smoke a mirrors with a lot of casualties to distract people.

5. unknown

unknown fuck ftagn

I could definitely see that, but to me, "dreams" are always copouts. I'd rather it just be a visual representation of his world falling apart

the only Jarmusch film I really cared for was "Dead Man" with Johnny Depp...that one was actually pretty good

6. Dak

Dak mentat

This is true.

7. Draehl

Draehl Lurker

Just watched Ravenous- unique topic about cannibalism and the Wendigo legend. The movie could have been better, but I thought the subject matter interesting and something about the way they filmed it gave it an authentic look similar to 13th Warrior.

8. panzerfaust666

panzerfaust666 German Asshole

Just rewatched A Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou. Its a bit more of a difficult movie ( Imo), but the pay off is great. Also, I love the set( the boat ) and how it looks like a play. I dont know how to explain it, but its awesome.

9. damnromulans

damnromulans Klingons do not faint

I really can't get into Wes Anderson movies.

10. Cythraul

Cythraul Active Member

Me neither. I get the feeling this is one of those things you're not supposed to admit for fear of being deemed unsophisticated. Sort of like admitting that you don't find Seinfeld funny.

11. damnromulans

Whatever, most people who jizz all over Wes Anderson movies as if he is god are stupid and/or annoying. I love the shocked reactions I get when I say similar things about the David Lynch movie "Eraserhead."

12. panzerfaust666

panzerfaust666 German Asshole

Yeah its really half and half for me. I really appreciate them, but I find myself loosing interest or just get plain old bored. Although I did love Fantastic mr. Fox

13. Psychonaut

Great Expectations - Thought this was a nice take on Dickins' classic. Great use of color throughout.

Brothers - The trailers were misleading but this was pretty good. I'd like to compare it to the original.

14. damnromulans

How about "Last of the Mohicans?" Daniel Day-Lewis FTW and an AMAZING soundtrack. It helps that the entire movie takes place in my home town or thereabouts though it was actually filmed in North Carolina.

15. NinjaGeek

NinjaGeek Member

Anderson still has a lot of followers, but it's been long enough that it's now equally as fashionable to call his movies crap. Just depends on which circles you run in.

16. NinjaGeek

NinjaGeek Member

17. Einherjar86

Einherjar86 Active Member

Yes! It's the only Jarmusch film I've seen other than Coffee and Cigarettes (of which I only really enjoyed the Tom Waits/Iggy Pop scene), and I thought it was very good.

Honestly, this is how I feel about Anderson: I enjoy some of his films, but he lingers too much on the border between art-house and Indie; so much so that I'm hesitant to say I really appreciate him. I find his films entertaining, but I'm slightly annoyed by their aesthetic.

The one with DeNiro?

18. Psychonaut

19. unknown

unknown fuck ftagn

the only Wes Anderson movies I've seen and liked were The Life Aquatic and The Royal Tenenbaums, with the former being my favorite of his works

20. Jimmy... Dead.

Jimmy... Dead. contemplative curmudgeon

Just watched a french movie called In My Skin.

I was expecting too much, especially after watching Cache and The Piano Teacher.

Quite boring and drawn out.