This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The Official Movie Thread

Discussion in 'GMD Social Forum' started by Manic Ferocity, May 4, 2007.

1. Einherjar86

Einherjar86 Active Member

I saw Ex Machina last night. It was everything I hoped for, and even a little bit extra.

It included what is probably the most daring and relentless portrayal of artificial intelligence since HAL; I would rank it on par with HAL. It's terrifying up until the very last shot, and yet the final shot is somehow cathartic. It's grim, doesn't hold back, and the question of humanism (both in terms of what it means to be a conscious human, and anthropomorphism) remains at its core throughout.

On top of all that, it has its fair share of humor, and it doesn't avoid the truly complex issues of AI operation (i.e. semantic models of language, language as innate versus acquired, the relationship between consciousness and simulation, etc.). All in all, this was an absolutely welcome contribution to contemporary SF cinema, which has exhibited an interest in AI as of late but has simply butchered it (I'm thinking of Transcendence, Automata, Chappie, etc.).

So, highly recommended.

2. rms

rms Active Member

Ex Machina was pretty fantastic.

3. arg

arg Active Member

i enjoyed it too. i hope they develop humanoid robots like that to have sex with ASAP

CiG likes this.
  4. Jimmy... Dead.

Jimmy... Dead. contemplative curmudgeon

Watched Take Shelter again with my Father last night. Now this is a guy who pretty much only watches action movies, comedy etc and cant stand slower movies. He was hooked from beginning to end. His only response at the end was "fuckin' therapist" haha

Ein, I read some of your Take Shelter blog post to him and it made him upset lol

5. Einherjar86

6. Zephyrus

Zephyrus Tyrants and Slaves

Will check out Ex Machina next opportunity.

So I watched Noah since I needed to veg out and it was on Netflix. I actually found it pretty entertaining, and since I know ahead of time not to take it seriously. It's a star-studded (Crowe, Watson, Hopkins, etc.), imaginative expansion on the biblical myth that added moral complexities and plot-lines reflecting what, perhaps, one would ponder when reading the otherwise brief story. For instance, was all mankind aside from Noah's family truly worthy of God's wrath? And Noah's interpretation (and his family's conflicting view) of God's intentions in sending the flood was interesting too.

The whole plot apparatus of The Watchers was a bit weak, but didn't ruin the film. The acting wasn't bad, at least.

The only thing that really irritated me was the blatant environmentalist agenda the film had, which was very thinly veiled.

7. Einherjar86

I thought Noah was decent. It actually grappled with the incompatibility between something like what we would think of as rational human behavior and unyielding commitment to a supreme being. For all intends and purposes, Noah was have to be insane to carry out God's wishes. I wish the film spent more time on ideas such as this, rather than on fairly mediocre special effects.

8. rms

rms Active Member

Enjoyed your blog post Ein. I agree with your argument and the questions those two films present

9. Chimaera

Chimaera Member

Went to see Mad Max today. Go and see Mad Max the first chance you get. Probably the best reboot of a franchise I've ever seen.

10. CF87

CF87 Active Member

I enjoyed it. I did see the original awile back, but I forgot it was called Mad Max. I did not realize this until I was in Walmart and saw the original for sale. I don't have blue ray or I would have bought it.

11. MasterOLightning

MasterOLightning Optimator

Yeah, Mad Max: Fury Road is essential viewing. One of the five best action movies of the last few decades.

12. CF87

CF87 Active Member

I ended up getting a Blu-ray. There was acouple DVDS I wanted and they were only on Blu-ray so I ended up buying one. I have a lot of dvds. I can still watch the regular ones anyways.

13. unknown

unknown fuck ftagn

Another post about Mad Max...it's everything I hoped it would be...a 2 hour car chase with explosions. Badass

14. Satanstoenail

Satanstoenail My Larpstyle determines my Derpstyle

I saw it at IMAX in 3D last night. Was pretty crazy.

15. -CC-

-CC- Something in My Eye

Am I the only fucker that didn't like it? It wasn't terrible, just boring as hell. Maybe the action genre isn't for me. I did fall asleep when watching The Expendables too.

16. rms

rms Active Member

The new Mad Max was one of the worst films i've ever seen, what a let down.

17. Master_Yoda77

Master_Yoda77 Juggalo

I watched Herzog's Grizzly Man a few nights back. Brilliant. I love how he goes from having the audience feel terrible about Treadwell's death but towards the end you feel like he got what he deserved for being a little autistic fuck.

18. SentinelSlain

SentinelSlain Suck my joined date.

I liked the new Mad Max. It's definitely better than the old ones, I'd be very surprised if anyone disagreed with that as well. It's great for what it is. It's a type of movie not usually done with so much effort and I suppose budget, that's the thing. The original movies were a bit like Death Race 2000 or even Conan The Destroyer, that kind of thing, and basically the new one is a 2010s version of that kind of 80s movie. It's very cool.

19. CiG

CiG Harbinger of Metal

Prepare to be surprised.
    It's only JUST better than Beyond Thunderdome in my opinion.

20. SentinelSlain

SentinelSlain Suck my joined date.

tbh I can only just remember that one.