This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The Official Movie Thread

Discussion in 'GMD Social Forum' started by Manic Ferocity, May 4, 2007.

1. no country for old wainds

i see it mopped up the golden globes btw

2. Caecius

Caecius Doomed Traveler

I'm reading the book, Revenant, before going to see it in theaters -- not sure if this was wise. The book is solid so far.

3. no country for old wainds

it's actually hard to imagine it as a book while watching it i think. there's not much sense of character or an inner psychology, it's all very visceral. there's some pretty eyeroll-worthy tacked-on spiritual stuff but it didn't really bother me in this context.

4. rms

rms Active Member

Hateful Eight was pretty awesome too. Not a spaghetti western or even intends to be, kind of hilarious as well.

5. no country for old wainds

i haven't seen it yet but this is the most muted reaction i've ever seen to a tarantino movie. i love tarantino so i hope it's not a misstep.

6. rms

rms Active Member

It's classic Tarantino. The first chapter between Jackson and Russel is his dialogue to the core, fantastic. It dips into exploitation and planet terror level gore, but it's better than Basterds and Django, i'd say.

7. CiG

CiG Harbinger of Metal

I want to see that new Kurt Russell western/horror written and directed by that guy from Realmbuilder.

8. no country for old wainds

i suspect you'll like it, man. i found the script a bit strained but even that has its charms, and aside from that it's quality. i liked tommy lee jones' new western a lot too (THE HOMESMAN), it's basically his UNFORGIVEN in some ways if not exactly on that level. might be a bit, uh, feminist for your tastes haha, but that stuff ain't so conspicuous that it distracts from the various other genre pleasures.

while we're on the subject of recent shit you might like, how about BUZZARD? basically imagine if OFFICE SPACE were way darker with a protagonist who listens to death metal and you'd be fairly close. also maybe check out INHERENT VICE, the stoned out '70s-styled comic noir by the THERE WILL BE BLOOD dude.

9. no country for old wainds

yeah, it's funny... i've always felt the very liberal film critic community bend over backwards to misread tarantino in really generous ways, when in reality he just idolises certain kinds of righteous minority heroes from the exploitation and pulp cinema he grew up loving, and he wants to share that feeling with modern moviegoers. that's about as nuanced as he gets, whereas some critics try to paint him as some kind of sensitive cultural commentator or something. then, when he releases something that doesn't fit with this false image they've created, they act like he's jumped the shark when in reality he was never doing anything different. granted, i'm saying all this without having seen the movie, but all i care about is he keeps making tarantino movies rather than compromising to match anyone else's expectations.

10. rms

rms Active Member

I have it downloaded, haven't watched it yet though..didn't know he was in that band though haha.

I totally agree. Not sure if you caught it because I think you live in the UK, but Tarantino got into some trouble over the police brutality debate in America a few months ago and has been kind of trounced in the national media. He's had to do a bunch of talk shows to clear his image/promote the movie, so I imagine this factors into its position in the media. And Star Wars/Leo Oscar frenzy.

I totally agree though. I think the debate is no more divided between his influence from City on Fire for Reservoir Dogs. Some see him simply as a copy cat and others appreciate what other cinema has achieved and brought it here.

11. no country for old wainds

i think i saw a bit about it. idk if it's true in this case but in my experience he often comes out with dumb shit - i mean, i've never heard tarantino be as eloquent in an interview as almost all of his characters tend to be. it's like he's only in his element when making movies, he has this ability to channel the cinema he loves in a way that seems completely natural. seems like an instinctive thing, like maybe he's only capable of communicating his real self through film or something, and that's probably why his films seem so fresh despite being derivative; it feels like these movies are some essential part of him, coming from the heart. i think he's a pretty damn great filmmaker, in any case; couldn't give less of a shit about his politics.

CiG and rms like this.
  12. SentinelSlain

SentinelSlain Suck my joined date.

Plus he sucked a woman's toes in a film.

CiG likes this.
  13. no country for old wainds

which is literally the most disgusting thing you can possibly do with a member of the opposite sex. i'd rather suck snot out of her nose.

14. SentinelSlain

SentinelSlain Suck my joined date.

Feet are better than scat. Nose snot sounds awful too fuck that.

15. no country for old wainds

feet are basically just cheesy scat

16. no country for old wainds

thank god she has tights covering those hideous jutting lumps of hard peeling flesh

CiG and Satanstoenail like this.
  17. TageRyche

TageRyche Active Member

Sadly I hated The Homesman. Thought it was just a bad movie.

18. no country for old wainds

the leftfield 'twist' in the second half was one of the most surprising and exciting narrative decisions of any movie this year imo.

19. Chimaera

Chimaera Member

Just found out that one of my local indie cinemas is the only place in Scotland showing the Roadshow version of Hateful 8. I've already seen it in digital but I'll definitely double dip. Still a month till it's available though.

20. JontRevolting

JontRevolting FALSE ARREST! FALSE ARREST!

No mate I haven't seen that,any good?
    I agree with your rant completely, give me the creatures Ray Harryhausen brought to life anyday over the soulless crap that gets put out these days.

CiG likes this.