This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The Official Movie Thread

Discussion in 'GMD Social Forum' started by Manic Ferocity, May 4, 2007.

1. CiG

CiG So Long Suckers!

Fucking love that movie.

2. rms

rms Active Member

You guys got me excited for Tenet and it's just a mess. How you guys can enjoy a movie where every question is subsequently answered, directly, is so different than anything I want my film experience to be.

Kind of surprised anyone has an intense appreciation after a film like that. I don't know what would get anyone excited after viewing. At least with interstellar, it was an intense emotional experience, imo. This? "Oh I thought we knew what was going on, but we didn't!" For two hours :lol:
    It was one line 90% of the way in. "The rivers dried and the oceans froze, what do you expect them to do?" - took that somewhat metaphorically, personally. But who knows
    Nolan doing his best baumbach and rehashing old ideas with a worse film. Agreeing here.

3. Blurry_Dreams

Blurry_Dreams Active Member

:rofl:

4. CiG

CiG So Long Suckers!

Christoph Waltz & Willem Dafoe To Star In Walter Hill Western ‘Dead For A Dollar’.

5. rms

rms Active Member

Went back and rewatched rescue dawn which made me want to watch Little dieter needs to fly..man what a better way to demonstrate his story. Surprised how tame the film came out , especially considering Herzog

Saw high and low for the first time, my first meh Kurosawa! Cool to see once, especially a procedural, but didn't make me want to watch a second time.

Saw tango and cash for the first time in what has to be twenty years and that might be one of the gayest action movies I've ever seen :lol: and the fucking non stop zingers..man! :lol:

#19425 rms, Jun 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
  6. no country for old wainds

i remember high and low being one of my favourite kurosawas but i haven’t seen it since i was a teenager so idk.

little dieter is good stuff, better than rescue dawn i agree.

rms likes this.
  7. rms

rms Active Member

Oh! And paths of glory for the first time. Fantastic film from Kubrick, might be my favorite. Bummed I overlooked it all these years

CiG likes this.
  8. Vegard Pompey

Vegard Pompey ALLY TO GOOD, NIGHTMARE TO YOU

High and Low is top 5 Kurosawa, as far as I've seen anyway. I love that he adapts a fucking airport paperback with the same respect as he does Shakespeare and Dostoyevsky.

rms likes this.
  9. Blurry_Dreams

i always thought Tango and Cash was totally supposed to be "the gayest action movie you've ever seen"

10. CiG

CiG So Long Suckers!

You broke that jaw?!

rms likes this.
  11. CiG

CiG So Long Suckers!

Dune is playing at this year's TIFF. Can't wait to see it already.

12. rms

rms Active Member

gotta get my act together and finish the book lol

CiG likes this.
  13. CiG

CiG So Long Suckers!

14. loves guitars

loves guitars Member

I love sci/fy movies with a horror film thrown for good measure... but not toooo scarey.

15. Blurry_Dreams

@rms

i loved the Dune Prequels written by Frank's kid and Kevin J Anderson

16. no country for old wainds

new sciamma, edgar wright, terence davies too

CiG likes this.
  17. Blurry_Dreams

18. CiG

CiG So Long Suckers!

Completely forgot about the new Sciamma! Definitely something I'm keen for. I'm also interested in the new Antoine Fuqua movie with Gyllenhaal and Phillip Noyce's Lakewood with Naomi Watts.

19. Blurry_Dreams

@TageRyche

i only just now read
    http://classic-rock-bottom.ning.com/forum/topics/my-7-favorite-movies-of-2019

and
    i gotta say that i really didn't like End Game nearly as much as some of the other MCU movies

problems i had with Endgame

the pre-order-ticket-sales
    Endgame was already filmed before anyone saw Infinity War
    that seemed to be quite a big gamble for the studio,
    it seemed like this could have theoretically resulted in End Game loosing money at the box office
    which was avoided by having Infinity War end on a kinda cliff-hanger
    with End Game having pre-order-ticket-sales
    where Endgame made it's money back with a profit before anyone at all had actually seen the movie

the last second of Infinity War totally made it look like Carol Danvers was going to be the main character of Endgame
    so Everyone buys the pre-order-tickets for Endgame thinking Carol Danvers is going to be the main character of Endgame
    but then, Carol's super-short-cameo appearance is really nothing more than a crazy-cameo-info-dump explaining why she's not in the rest of the freaking movie

Endgame was actually filmed before Captain Marvel, but Captain Marvel hit theaters first, so the the end of Infinity War making it look like Carol Danvers was going to be the main character of Endgame was studio was actually taking a risk here, if the Captain marvel movie had sucked at the box office, the whole Carol Danvers being summoned scene at the end of infinity war would have resulted in Endgame making less money

Carol Danvers getting her own movie was a straight-up-instead-of a Black Widow movie
    where the Studio was straight-up choosing profit over good-story-telling

Black Widow dies in Endgame instead of Hawk Eye, which is offensive to the SJWs who were already bitching about Black Widow not having her own movie added to the fact that Corol Danvers getting her own movie was a straight-up-instead-of Black Widow getting a movie
    and forgetting about the SJWs, straight guys and lesbians were waiting for sexy-girl black widow to have her own movie

Professor Hulk's dialogue concerning the time-travel just ruined the suspension-of-dis-belief
    and Scott Lang's dialogue makes no sense if you haven't seen Ant-Man and Ant-Man and the Wasp (and even if you did see those movies Scott's dialogue still sounds stupid, "time-heist" really??)

the 5-year-gap annoys the fuck out of me
    because in the comics, the time-travel would have just prevented "the snap" with everyone continuing to live in a time-line where "the snap" just didn't fucking happen
    but then, they had to make the 5-year-gap because Black Widow died (the 5-year gap allows for several next-phase MCU movies to take place in-between Infinity War and Endgame), but even if you need to make movies (more than just the black widow movie) take place in-between Infinity War and Endgame, the 5-year-gap could have been 5 months or even a mere 5 weeks, and since you really don't need any movies to take place during this gap, you really could have had someone release Scott Lang from the Quantum Realm to tell him that the snap had happened, where the 5-year-gap is really only 5 days which would have worked better for the Spiderman movies because Peter Parker was still in high-school when Spider-man turns to dust during the snap

Tony Stark kinda being the main character of Spider-man homecoming then Spider-man turning to dust during the snap was really just tricking people buying the pre-order-tickets for Endgame, everyone wanted the snap to be undone so that spider-man would come back from the dead because spider-man has always been Marvel's flagship-character, seriously if Spider-man had survived Infinity War then End game would have made less money
    this was, again, the studio choosing-profit-over-good-story-telling