This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The Opeth Countdown, Revisited ('09 Edition)

Discussion in 'Opeth (Archived)' started by Arasmas, Feb 11, 2009.

1. jemis

jemis New Metal Member

I don't think so.

2. Korlich

Korlich So Judah fucked it up

^:sarcasm: OC. Definetly not agreeing with, Credence, Amen or epilouge, more D1 songs would´ve been on my list by now, anyway keep em comming :D

3. burntoast

burntoast Member

I'd definitely rank "Porcelain Heart" lower than "The Amen Corner" and "Coil."

4. The Wooden Doors

The Wooden Doors Cloak of Autumn Shroud

Everything they've ever done, even the instrumental interludes, are masterpieces compared to Porcelain Heart.

5. burntoast

burntoast Member

I'd rather listen to "Porcelain Heart" than "Atonement" or "Weakness."

6. 4speedmetal

4speedmetal Member

"Coil" is a very sad and foreboding song. I guess that's why it works so well in a death metal album.

7. Fields Of Sorrow

Atonement >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Porcelain Heart.

8. burntoast

burntoast Member

:lol:

Watershed is far from a death metal album.

9. Lateralus14

Lateralus14 New Metal Member

I love Credence but really only because it's an Opeth song that's easy to play on the guitar, and the drums on it are noisy and...well just terrible, I guess I see where you're coming from.

The main difference for me from this list is that even though the "meh" instrumentals don't stand well on their own, I personally would rather sit through a "meh" 1 minute instrumental than listen to a "meh" 10 minute track like April Ethereal, In Mist She Was Standing, or Porcelain Heart when songs like When, Under the Weeping Moon, and Hessian Peel are just a click away. Not that I dislike any Opeth music, but, for example, For Absent Friends, if it's going to keep me from skipping to Masters Apprentices without being some masterpiece, well it better be short.

10. burntoast

burntoast Member

:err:

11. Lateralus14

imo two of the most overrated Opeth songs and my least favorites off their respective albums

12. Crepuscularia

Crepuscularia Member

Ouch. That was a bit harsh, don't you think?

13. rayden_ad

rayden_ad The Pyrenean Country

Porcelain Heart have nice parts come one, but in my opinion I think they don't fit together as much to do an awesome song like the others on the watershed album.

14. Nasty-Fire

Nasty-Fire Discursion

It's all about the way you feel. (personally)

15. ahnkou

ahnkou Member

This thread is turning into a flame bait thread, can't believe its still up :devil: :Spam:

I think most songs have a thread already about them... shouldn't this go there? It's like a different version of the Opeth best song polls but only one guy gets to do it this time.

16. Lateralus14

I think it's interesting to see repeat threads once in a while really; one time I was looking way back at threads from like 2002 just because I was curious what some old Opeth setlists looked like and I found some "best of ____ album" polls and thought it was pretty interesting how thoughts have developed. The biggest instance of this was on Morningrise, I believe Black Rose Immortal won a poll for best on Morningrise by quite a bit, yet on a recent song survivor poll, it was voted out before Advent, TNATSW and TBYF.

Well that was kinda irrelevant.

17. burntoast

burntoast Member

I know. I was merely offering my opinion. My personal tastes are not being threatened here. :wave:

18. kalikatzaros

kalikatzaros ouargh

19. Arasmas

Arasmas New Metal Member

#55 - Patterns in the Ivy

not really a substantial song but pleasant enough. i don't really have jack shit to say about this one

#54 - Hex Omega

one of the band's least inspired metal songs. the opening riff is actually pretty cool, i like it, but then as soon as it goes into the verses i fall asleep immediately. the ending is ok i suppose but idk, i just feel opeth could have done a little better with this one

#53 - Ending Credits

a nice little ditty, i like this actually, again not really a full-fledged song but it does its job. a little bit shallow perhaps (for opeth) but it's rather nice i suppose

#52 - For Absent Friends

definitely the best of opeth's "interlude" tracks. i can't really rank it much higher because of its length and relative unimportance, but it's a little moment of zen

#51 - Porcelain Heart

wtf is with the main riff, it blows and it is an obvious rewrite of the riff from the grand conjuration (which wasn't good enough to be rewritten in the first place). other than that this song isn't terrible, i mean the lyrics are embarrassing at times ("wallowed in shame") but the lullaby part for example is pretty awesome. idk what to think about this song, i mean it's not really original at all but it sounds pretty decent while it's on. all in all it's one of opeth's weaker songs but i still listen to it sometimes

20. Cognitive Intercourse

Just proof that taste is subjective. This is actually one of my favorite tracks off of Watershed (Behind Heir Apparent). Overall though, cool thread. I'm really enjoying hearing your opinions. Keep 'em coming! :headbang: