This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The photography thread

Discussion in 'Bar' started by kramer1309, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Potshot

Potshot Member

Overcooked, so the actual dynamic range in the image is out of whack. There is no comprehensible shadow / light ratio, everything is visible, where your brain wants to see contrast between light and dark. Looks very much like photomatix has been used.

The 3rd image has the best ratio between dark and light, but overall there is a halo effect over each image, this kind of processing looks cool till you've seen it a few times, then it eventually makes your eyes hurt.

There's a few better options for blending exposures than photomatix, if you're using photoshop, you can go to file > automate > merge to HDR pro, and create a 32 bit image which you can then tone in ACR, gives you a whole pile of extra range on your exposure and shadow/highlight adjustments, etc, can often be more natural looking. More powerful still is luminosity masking, check out this tutorial here : http://iso.500px.com/luminosity-masks-in-digital-blending/ and grab his action set if you don't want to go through the laborious chore of setting up luminosity mask actions yourself.

I have a friend who is a landscape/cityscape photographer and he manually pastes all his HDR layers into a single file, then uses regular masks to paint in areas from the different exposures between layers, which also looks pretty natural but is far too time intensive for my liking!

The composition of the images is really good, just the toning that is over the top. The added boost to local contrast in photomatix that brings out grungy detail and such can fool you into thinking you have enough shadow and such after you've been looking at the images for a while.

2. Soundlurker

Soundlurker Member

People like to be able to see patterns and make sense of them. They like to see new information that's in some way relevant to them.

The photos you showed are generally well composed but there's just a ton of visual information in terms of various colors and details that is a bit hard to "read" and even if you spend some time looking at them all you can see is some unknown place that's quite messy and oddly colorful... not relevant for most people.

Edit: Let's keep posting photos. Here's a street shot that got published in 1x:

[​IMG]
    "ME and My Expectations"

3. arvoitus

arvoitus Member

I've also found the 32 bit HDR method in photoshop a couple of days ago, so i think i'm gonna try that out.

But first i'm gonna have to fix that photoshop/LR/ACR stuff on my pc before that works properly.

4. Jarkko Mattheiszen

Jarkko Mattheiszen The FU guy.

I stumbled upon an old Minolta MD Rokkor 50mm f/1.7 lens for 2 euros at a flea market yesterday and thought I'd bring it home to have a look at. It's dirty as hell, but oh well, it's probably been sitting in a dusty storage room for a couple of decades now. My camera is an old, trusty EOS 400D (Rebe XTi in the US?), so obviously it's not compatible. I got bored, though, so I took the lens apart, replaced the aperture mechanism with a shoddy "stepless" one with an old paper clip and butchered my old 18-55mm kit lens to convert the Minolta to be used in place of an EF lens. There's a 0.5mm difference in the flange distance, so it's a bitch to get in focus, and considering the ridiculously crappy 400D's viewfinder, it's even harder. But hey, it works, and for a 2€ lens it actually looks pretty decent! I tried it out quickly, here a some quick snaps. Need to take it out later tonight to give it a proper spin.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. jipchen

jipchen ForesterStudio

Thanks for the kind words guys! :)
    Ha, nice - my girlfriend and I thought about a trip to Salzburg but the weather was superbad most of our time in Berchtesgaden so we got the hell out after we froze our asses off in the tent for about a week :ill: My gf studied in Salzburg, we still visit friends there every now and then.

@Jarkko: Good find! 2 Euros and some work isn't bad at all and it looks like it's a nice lens. The cheapest comparable lens I can think of is the Canon 50mm 1.8 and it's about 60€ used, you can't really focus it manually and the bokeh sucks ass.

6. Soundlurker

Soundlurker Member

Proud to say the most popular Gothic magazine chose my photo for their front cover

[​IMG]

7. Torsis

Torsis > 57

Very cool!
    Great shot - congrats to you and the lovely model, too!

8. Soundlurker

Soundlurker Member

Thanks a lot!

9. Drummerrrrr?

Drummerrrrr? Member

The guy on the left also needs a snapback.

10. rvs0002

rvs0002 Metal from the Heartland

11. arvoitus

arvoitus Member

Alright, more urbex and HDR shots. Different place and different editing style this time.

What do you think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. jipchen

jipchen ForesterStudio

Awesome - I like your newer editing style a lot more! Looks awesome, shows the details but doesn't loose the mood / feeling of the place

13. Nebulous

Nebulous Daniel

I like no 9 and 10 the most. They retain some shadow, and hence more depth than the others.

14. Soundlurker

Soundlurker Member

arvoitus, these are much much better.! I especially like the first, fifth and last. Well composed!

edit: moar photos:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Jarkko Mattheiszen

Jarkko Mattheiszen The FU guy.

Just ordered a Helios 44-M 58mm f/2 for a couple of bucks, eager to see how it performs :)

16. exoslime

exoslime Member

@arvoitus
    your pictures are awesome, they look really great, exactly as jipchen set, lots of details but more natural looking colors and great depth and mood

awesome!!

17. Ashgarth

Ashgarth Jordi Vaquero

18. GuitarHack

GuitarHack Krank it UP!

Great shots in here, in particular on the last couple of pages -
    jipchen and exoslime: awesome landscapes!
    soundlurker: Great portraits. Soft and detailed at the same time.
    arvoitus: 2,6 and 9 are better with your latest processing.
    Ashgarth: Nice star shots!
    Here are some of mine from the last few months.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Loren Littlejohn

Loren Littlejohn Lover of all boobage.

I purchased a D3200 on Tuesday. So far I have found that I am terrible. :lol: Messed about with the auto settings and quickly wanted to move past that because I was having a hard time getting the camera to focus on what I wanted unless it was a landscape.

So dove into manual and still learning, seems like another hobby you learn by doing a lot (well and checking out what other people are doing).

Also I need to pick up software and don't want to spend a fuck load on it so suggestions?

20. Torsis

Torsis > 57

Lightroom 5 for post processing pics.