Separate names with a comma.
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Discussion in 'GMD Social Forum' started by zabu of nΩd, Aug 6, 2016.
seen 3 women? has sissy spacek, is from 1977, is pretty great
No but it's def in my high priorities to see before I post my list along with The American Friend.
Interesting, I have no idea who I would pick for this. Dunaway and Spacek seem solid choices. Rowlands I'm not sure I've seen enough of, but A Woman Under the Influence is amazing. Intrigued why Bergman is your No 1 though?
Partly nostalgia, she was about the first female actor that really made an impression on me growing up beyond "she's hot" or whatever. Casablanca of course is a classic but I'm a huge fan of her Joan of Arc and also The Inn of the Sixth Happiness, especially early on. My grandma had a whole bunch of her movies on VHS so when I'd visit my grandparents' farm I'd always watch the same movies over and over and she was in a lot of them.
I think given enough time though, Gena Rowlands will be #1.
I just realized I have seen 3 Women quite recently derp. I was thinking of A Woman Under the Influence which I really wanna see.
that’s even better!
Top 5 metal releases of April 2021:
Nekromantheon - Visions of Trismegistos
Meshum - Enigmatic Existential Essence
Derailment - Come Clean in Death
Fleshtorture - Grotesca Doctrina de la Perversidad
Cannibal Corpse - Violence Unimagined
Digging that Nekromantheon album! Thanks for the recommendation.
Top 5 non-metal releases of January 2021:
Needlepoint - Walking Up That Valley
Scorching Canterbury sound prog rock out of Norway.
Blind Golem - A Dream of Fantasy
FFO Ken Hensley-era Uriah Heep and yeah he even features on a track.
Steve Earle & The Dukes - J.T.
His best in a few years, awesome good vibes Americana.
Pearl Charles - Magic Mirror
Massive 70's soft rock vibes here, with pinches of ABBA. Only just listened to it today, feels like a grower.
R.A.P. Ferreira - Bob's Son: R.A.P. Ferreira in the Garden Level Cafe of the Scallops Hotel
Definitely one of the more interesting figures to emerge in hip hop lately. Very abstract and deconstructionist.
Top 5 non-metal releases of February 2021:
Tusmørke - Nordisk Krim
Very sly and weird Norwegian progressive folk rock. <3
Roosevelt - Polydans
Beautifully produced dance pop with synthpop and nu-disco vibes. One of the best pop albums of recent memory.
Penetrode - Penetrode
Screechy scratchy hardcore punk from Philly with a real loose and dingy style, fronted by a pretty deranged sounding brown chick. Sorta sounds like 7 Year Bitch + Flipper.
SG Lewis - Times
Awesome nu-disco/dance pop, straight outta the 80's.
Reek Minds - Rabid
Heavy as fuck hardcore bordering on powerviolence.
Top 5 non-metal releases of March 2021:
Litku Klemetti - Kukkia muovipussissa
Current obsession, hypnagogic pop and nu-disco mixed together perfectly. Always returning to these guys, along with Tusmørke.
Trettioåriga kriget - Till horisonten
Swedish prog rock heroes still going strong. This album has big hermit vibes, dark and introspective.
The Meteors - Skull N Bones
Just when I thought psychobilly was effectively dead, The Meteors unleash a fucking killer album! Still sounds fresh and 80's somehow, with a perfect production for the style. Legends.
Electric Chair - Social Capital
9 minutes of ferocious old school USHC---no bullshit to be found here!
Brotha Lynch Hung - Fatal
This shit surprised me because I'm not the hugest fan of modern Brotha Lynch Hung but damn is this EP killer, with a brutal diss track that I wish I knew the background story on. Grimy as fuck horrorcore, hopefully he puts out a whole album with this vibe.
Top 5 non-metal releases of April 2021:
Alan Vega - Mutator
This moody post-industrial material was originally recorded in the mid-90's and then shelved because Vega was such an impatient workhorse and had already moved onto another album before this was even completed. Recently exhumed and remastered, fucking amazing and a must have for Suicide fans.
Dry Cleaning - New Long Leg
London af post-punk newcomers, basically sarcastic sounding spoken word vocals over scratchy janky bass-driven punk. Such a crisp sound, I think the only point against them is the style is a bit much for 40+ minutes.
Dinosaur Jr. - Sweep It Into Space
Yeah yeah same old DJr. but the "filler" tracks surrounding the immediately good songs are really growing on me.
Wędrowcy~Tułacze~Zbiegi - Futurista
Definitely still unlocking this one, there's so much here, from post-punk to coldwave to synthpop to neofolk to krautrock and more. Just wild and inventive shit featuring people who play in many more recent Polish black metal bands. Almost feels like the soundtrack to some fucked up fictional psychological horror movie.
Jakprogresso - Untitled
Jak's new EP does what Jak usually do and that's make some mentally deranged experimental hip hop. The track "Ruddie Yards" is especially a banger. That beat maaaan!
5 bands I had tickets to who cancelled:
- Joan Jett & the Blackhearts
- Danzig (as part of the cancelled Soundwave Revolution festival w/ Van Halen and more, what a fuckup)
The first time I had a ticket to Judas Priest they cancelled too, but they made up for it by visiting here twice since. Be like Priest.
Top 5 Dodheimsgard songs:
1. Shiva Interfere
2. Sonar Bliss
3. Aphelion Void
4. Traces of Reality
5. Mournful, Yet and Forever
wish we could do a dodheimsgard discography ranking, but i don’t suppose there’d be enough interest
I'd be down. Has anyone else floated the idea around?
How about top 5 most fucked up/disturbing things you've ever dreamed?
I considered the topic after a particularly fucked up dream, but then I went and had another top tier Bloopy dream moment. So I'm gonna let my subconscious simmer over the course of the year and see what other utterly sick shit it comes up with. They often seem allergy-driven, or it may be that allergies change my sleep pattern and help me remember the horrors. Anyway, I wouldn't wanna come straight out with 5 that nobody can compete with.
So in the meantime here's 5 WTF things I've dreamt that didn't even make the Bloopy top 10:
- Refereeing a 3-way fight including racing driver Tim Slade who'd animorphed into a python. I had a view of my own forehead as he sliced across it with a garrotte wire (presumably held by his mouth and tail), leaving a long flap of oddly thick skin dangling. It hardly bled at all and I fitted it back into place. Then I saw myself with huge eyes, asleep. I used my fingers to lift one of my own eyelids and tried to coax out a piece of lint.
- Helping my sister to breed some sort of biotech pets in a toy store. The little male's long pencil dick was raw and bleeding by the time he'd impregnated over 20 females.
- I was an astronaut on a moon with rivers. The rivers had solid bits in them that looked like the marshmallow pieces from Lucky Charms cereal. To collect samples to be tested for life, I had to get out of my spacesuit and lie down in the river, allowing any moon lifeforms present to assimilate with me.
- Racing driver Allan Simonsen's fatal crash, except he had long shaggy hair, and no helmet nor sufficient seatbelt so he hit his head on the tree. He stumbled away from the crash but started to feel sick and vomited. I found him lying down in a shower next to a cooked steak after having lost control of his bowels, and then saw car parts arranged on tables for examination.
- Just beyond the doorway of a bathroom installed in a cave, there was a horrifying alien creature on the ground. It was the size and shape of a small melon, with a wedge-shaped opening revealing it was something like a cocooning insect or a gooey giant isopod. It launched itself at my arm and bit me, at which point it kinda resembled a shrunken head of a big cat. I prised it off with a block of tree bark or something like that, hit it into the toilet and found it was too big to flush. I laughed as I woke up, knowing it'll smell like piss when it gets me next dream.
Top 5 metal releases of May 2021:
Dead and Dripping - Miasmic Eulogies Predicating an Eternal Nocturne
One-man brutal/tech death with real drums.
Impaled Nazarene - Eight Headed Serpent
Sněť - Mokvání V Okovech
Doomy Czech death metal.
Morbific - Ominous Seep of Putridity
Doomy filthy Finnish death metal.
Birdflesh - All the Miseries
Top 5 non-metal releases of May 2021:
Czarface & MF DOOM - Super What?
Slim Guerilla - Keep It Movin'
Great mix of old school southern rap styles.
Stars Hollow - I Want to Live My Life
Cool newer midwest emo / post-hardcore band.
Slim Guerilla - Tha Pimpdemic
See his other release. This one is a bit less...mellow?
Zombi - Liquid Crystal
Nice tight little EP by Zombie.
5 more since a ticketing app that stupidly downloads my whole history reminded me of a couple:
- SNFU (but thankfully they made up for it 5 years later)
- The Adicts
- Sunn O)))
...w/ Pelican (I forgot this one got as far as going on sale before the Aussie promoters failed to live up to Sunn's eccentric requirements and the band pulled the plug)
Sergio Leone movies
1. Once Upon a Time in the West
2. The Good, The Bad, the Ugly
3. Once Upon a Time in America
4. For a Few Dollars More
5. Duck, You Sucker!
This one doesn't get enough love.
Yeah agreed. A bit overlong and lacking the Eastwood star power but it's funny and the buddy dynamic between Steiger and Coburn is great.