This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The travel thread

Discussion in 'LORD' started by StephenSLR, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Winmar

Winmar Pillock of society

I'm in KL now. Flew in this morning after a week in Bandung (West Java). I noticed that about the plantations on the way down. Heaps of bloody palm trees where there would have been forest in the past. Sad. :(

2. JetHead

JetHead FTT

Attn: Winmar and/or anyone who has been to Malaysia

Im flying out to Malaysia next week and was keen to pick up a Malaysian national football jersey...any idea where I have to head??

3. pipsqeek

pipsqeek Musical Delinquent

Looks like the kids meal my wife ordered when she had to fly to the US once for work. And don't forget all the complimentary sides that come with the meal that you never actually order, and they expect you to eat and pay for in tips at the end.

Speaking of travel. My plans this year are pretty busy. I'll be playing in Sydney, Melbourne and Greece, then I was thinking of finally going to Italy, seeing as it's just over the puddle from Greece.

I'm also contemplating getting back on a motorcycle and riding around Australia. If I have enough money, perhaps going the Postie Bike Challenge.

4. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

A warning for people travelling to Spain, beware of any pub with the word Tapas in it.

You order a beer and they will give you something extra you didn't order - it can be simple as a packet of chips, peanuts or any sort of appetiser depending on where you go.

s

5. Pethical

Pethical Tom

I'm off on wednesday to Buenos Aires, Madrid, London, Helsinki and Hong Kong - any tips?

6. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

Go the the Excalibur club in Madrid, you won't be sorry.

s

7. Pethical

Pethical Tom

Cool thanks Steve, might check it out on my last night :)

8. Robotman

Robotman Gun Kata

Helsinki is fairly 'boring' but there are some metal clubs around and you should be able to catch some local and Scandinavian bands fairly easily.

If you're heading out of Helsinki, PM and I can probably assist you more.

9. Pethical

Pethical Tom

nice, unfortunately I'm only there for a day in transit, won't have time to go out of the city. Apparently it gets to -20 at night, preparing for shrinkage ^_^

10. Robotman

Robotman Gun Kata

I was there with about -34 was the lowest I experienced. Awesome stuff but in Helsinki it's like any other city with snow = brown.

11. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

You may want to check when they are open, I'm not sure if it is nightly it was pretty pumpin when we went, I think it was a Saturday.

Some clubs in Madrid are nightly, I recall going to a 'hole in the wall' type Metal bar on a Monday night, there were only a handful of people there of course.

Also, in Spain very few people we met had a decent grasp of English, the TV is all dubbed into Spanish.

s

12. cowboy

cowboy Member

We've pretty much locked in October 2011 for our Honeymoon to Europe :)

My one proviso to the missus is that we have to go to one metal festival, and Metal Female Voices is held in Belgium in October. If the lineup next year is anything like 2009 (which had amongst others Epica, Delain, Midnattsol, Krypteria, Unsun, Tarja, Van Canto, Stream of Passion) I will be in heaven.

Starting to do the costing (and the saving ha) now. Cannot fucking wait :D

13. JetHead

JetHead FTT

Just got back from Malaysia and Brunei :kickass:

My first experience overseas and might I say....fuck yeah! I'll briefly give you guys the rundown

I went there with a uni group where we were doing a field study comparing ours and Malaysia's health care systems.

So we landed in Kuching, on the island of Borneo first up. What a beautiful place, plenty of places to get great food by the river and they have a great little night club called Havana Bar which we were at a lot :kickass: We also visited a small village on the outskirts who invited us into there homes and treated us to traditional dances, in which we were then invited up to join, I don't think I will ever forget the hospitality of these people.

We then headed out to Kota Kinabalu, where we stayed at the Sutera Harbor resort which is a 4.5 star resort :) (swin up bar and all :kickass:) my opinion of KK as a city is slightly negative because a few of the girls we went with were continually hassled by the locals and put a slight dampener on things. However we did find a great aussie restaurant that we ate at and the food markets are to die for.

Brunei was next up, only 3 days but that was more then enough. If we didn't have hospital visits to attend there would have been absolutely nothing to do. We did take a boat taxi ride which was fun, but a lot of live EPL was watched. Brunei is a dry city too FYI unless you order from the "special drinks" menu :lol:

Kuala Lumpur was last but certainly not least! I'm a big city boy so I relished in the goodness of this place. The two towers are a real sight. The city also is home to one of the coolest hospitals I've ever set foot in, Sunway Medical Center. That place is so cashed up its beyond funny. The China town markets were too much fun and scoring a bargain is always satisfying :)

Really really sad to come home, the kindness and generosity of the people we met, especially at the hospital visits was heartwarming and I really have had the best experience of my life

Once again.....FUCK YEAH!

14. Shadow298

Shadow298 UNLEASH THE GUAN

my ex comes from Brunei, so heard all about it.
    frankly, does seem like a boring place from what she described but booze is really really easy to get if you are willing to look.

15. Winmar

Sounds like you had a sweet holiday, JetHead. Good you made it over to Borneo. I've only ever been to Peninsular Malaysia. KL's a cool city. Where'd you stay - in Chinatown? I've not heard amazing things about Brunei! Any luck with the football shirt? I've only ever seen "big 4" shirts there, or ones like Barcelona's.

I just got back from Indonesia on Saturday. Pretty peeved to be back here to be honest. I had too much fun over there.

16. JetHead

JetHead FTT

Yeah I ended up picking up one in KL for AUD$70. Not bad I thought. In KL we stayed at the Novotel near the Pavilion.

Here are a few of the hundreds of snaps taken by people from the trip

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yeah Indonesia would be a sweet place to go. I've got the travel bug now so its on next year hopefully!

17. Winmar

Nice shots! I love little kids like the one in the first photo. What course are you doing? Was the guy in the green t-shirt the biggest dude in Malaysia?

If you end up going to Indonesia, let me know and I'll give you some advice. :)

18. JetHead

JetHead FTT

I'm doing Bachelor of Nursing. So we visited most of the major hospitals Malaysia has. I gotta say I was surprised at how good there hospital system is.

And yes kids are the best, the assignment that I'm doing that is attached to the trip is on pediatric health :)

EDIT: and yes Luke stood out like dogs balls over there :lol:

19. KoichCPA

KoichCPA Banned

I'm in japan.

You probably aren't.

20. Bucko

Bucko Member

what did'nt quite make the winter Olympics