This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The travel thread

Discussion in 'LORD' started by StephenSLR, Jul 6, 2009.

1. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

Definitely do it if you haven't before. It was great the first time I went, the second time was more crowded and still quite good though I had been spoiled after being to MetalCamp the week before - No paying for toilets & showers, no large queues to use them, better location, scenery, the list goes on.

On Wacken, one of my friends commented, 'there's too many Germans here this year'.

Look into a plane to Zurich then bus or rail to Geneva. The train ride past the lake on our way to Zurich was quite scenic but most of it was just fields and farms and I often noticed fruit trees growing in the streets out the front of houses alongside footpaths, etc.

I'm glad to hear you're interested in the scenery, a couple of friends of mine had their heads in Metal mags listening to Metal quite often - something I couldn't quite comprehend, I was peering out the windows as much as I could.

s

2. black_tooth_grin

black_tooth_grin www.anwarrizk.com

I don't think I'd want to waste my time sticking my head in front of a magazine or computer. The scenery would be a marvel to behold. I'm in first class, so I have a lot of open space in the train cabin to take photos. There is also a nice lounge area at both ends of the train for photographers to go out and take photos, or just soak in the atmosphere.

The train to Luasanne (which is about an hour away from my hotel near Gruyere) will take about 8 hours to get too, which is roughly the same distance from Melbourne to Sydney. My way back to Munich from Geneva is roughly 4 or 5 hours as both trains are direct to each destination with no stops, apart from stopping at the border.

I've been notified that I'll be photographing Summer Breeze. I requested a VIP camp pass, which is pretty much next to the stage. There camping area is a lot smaller though and has a super market at either end of the festival show grounds. Wacken is going to be insane. I'll make sure to take earplugs so I can actually sleep at night. It's going to be a great experience though. I'm really looking forward to seeing Grave Digger. :)

3. black_tooth_grin

Quick question about the weather in Europe around August. What's it like?

Should I take an insulated sleeping bag when I camp at Wacken and Summer Breeze, or just take some thin piece of crap with no insulation?

4. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

Warm but Wacken is northern Germany so you can get cool weather.

As you know weather is unpredictable. The first time I went to Wacken a storm hit on the first night, it didn't stop some people but our group basically listened to Doro and Rose Tattoo from inside our tents with the rain pelting down quite heavily.

It cleared up for the rest of the event, the Germans were quite quick and laid straw all over the grounds which was more comfortable to sit on than dirt and grass.

A padded bag is a good idea, one with a zip that opens up like a blanket is what I brought.

I recall wearing t-shirts most times, I brought a sloppy joe and didn't need any sort of jacket.

s

5. Winmar

Winmar Pillock of society

I read last night that the dollar has died in the arse. Has it fallen against the Euro?

6. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

Yep, it may be short lived though but who can tell, the market is very fickle right now.

s

7. black_tooth_grin

Thankfully, I bought my Euros recently. 100 Euros for 150 AUD. Not to bad considering our dollar dropped. The rest of my spending money will be used from travelers cheques and plastic.

Thanks for the heads up on the weather, Stephen. My tent and sleeping bag seem more than adequate for my stay at Wacken.

8. Turner

Turner I have a cunning plan

9. Mean Bitch

Mean Bitch and her name was...

:D Just got back from Vietnam, what an adventur that was... planning next trip now but struggling to pick - Japan or America for a month... Im thinking march next year, so either skiing in Japan, or spring in USA,
    any ideas?

10. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

Anyone off to the US in August?

s

11. Pethical

Pethical Tom

^ Yep, will be at Lollapalooza, amongst other things

12. Shadow298

Shadow298 UNLEASH THE GUAN

anyone know of the cheapest and easiest way to get around the US & up to Canada is?
    talking to friends about plane prices and they seems massively over the top!

was thinking of going zigzag across the US by train and bus
    anyone know if that is more cost effective then just flying?

13. Winmar

Winmar Pillock of society

Do they have low cost carriers there like we do here and Europe's had for yonks? A road trip would be more fun if you've got time, though long distance trains usually kick arse.

14. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

Holy Crap! I'll be in Chicago for the last 2 days of that, I wish there were bands I want to see on the playlist.

Probably an around the world ticket. I think Delta is a cheap carrier right?

I've done Europe with Eurail and it was pretty good but the 2nd time around we got an around the world plane ticket and I think it was up to 15 stops as long as you travel around the world in one direction, we did 11 countries, including NY & LA on the way back, it did feel like The Amazing Race at times.

s

15. Pethical

Pethical Tom

yeah there aren't that many bands i'm super keen on seeing either, but I'm more interested in just seeing all the other various sights and sounds/festival atmosphere and just generally being in Chicago in the summer, should be great :hotjump:

16. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

I'll be there for a few days before driving down Route 66.

May have to check out some of these places:

http://www.metaltravelguide.com/north-america/illinois/chicago/

s

17. black_tooth_grin

Anyone going to Wacken this year?

I'll be heading over to Europe next Sunday. Will spend some time in Berlin and Hamburg before heading over to the festival on August 4th. If you happen to see me or want to meet up, I'll have a green and gold tent with an Australian flag on the outside of it. I maybe in the media area, but I'll only know when I get there.

So fucking excited. I can't wait!! :D

18. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

Hello from Toronto.

s

19. Bucko

Bucko Member

i thought you were meant to be in Calagery .... bwhahhaa

oh hello .... is it winter over there now ... actully no cause that would be in Jan

20. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

Thanks for that, it made me laugh (inside) shortly after it was posted and it was the best I felt in days. I couldn't reply because damn hotel puter had netnanny.

Hello from Detroit.

I just saw Julliete Lewis and band perform - pretty rockin' show.

s