This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The "What Are You Doing This Moment" Thread

Discussion in 'GMD Social Forum' started by A8, Sep 15, 2007.

1. SentinelSlain

SentinelSlain Suck my joined date.

wat

2. SentinelSlain

SentinelSlain Suck my joined date.

well it's closer to what people actually say about my appearance in real life anyway.

3. Pessimism

Pessimism Endemic Vagabond

PREFACE: I did not write this review with any form of formal intentions. AT ALL. Frankly I just wanted to write what I could before I pass out.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, what an interesting show.

Winterthrall:

FANTASTIC guitars, but the quality of the vocals were really lacking (which says a lot since I am an absolute vocal whore). From our position, the vocals sounded very artificial – it was as if someone went to the equalizer and just slapped it senseless. Take grating and high pitched black metal vocals and then pass some white noise over it (and add reverb!) – this is essentially what the singer sounded like. Now I've heard artists that use this style; hell, I like certain artists that use this style, but this just didn't come off well to me.

The bassist was one hell of an awkward head-banger too, so awkward that I couldn't stop laughing at him. Do I feel bad about that? No; after all, I'm not the one head-banging like a fucking mechanical cocksucker.

Winterthrall ended with a Pink coversong. It was fucking horrible.

Maybe they made it work, after all I certainly didn't recognize the song (then again, there is absolutely no chance that I would have recognized the original - so this is a moot point). If they didn't say it was a cover I would have assumed that it was just some female fronted melo band. I frankly would have preferred a hilarious, yet entertaining cover; instead they decided to take the rainbow bridge to San Francisco and FAIL all over the place. At least they had the brass to do something like that though, and I can respect that.

Allerseelen:

What is a metal show without some group of shaved headed white men neatly dressed in button-ups? As far as I have read in the last 10 minutes, Allerseelen aren't “neo-nazi's” (as I have read they're more “fascist" than anything), but god damn do they and some of the fans pull off the look (kudos to the mexican guy who dressed like a combination of Castro and Varg Vikernes).

“Militaristic Industrial” was the name of the game here, and boy did it trod on and on and on and on. I would think one could only march in place for so long before getting tired, but it seems I was wrong – the singer did it for what felt like an eternity. Although a majority of the bass-work was enjoyable, it really only stood out due to the combination of its repetitious rhythm and the contrast between the rest of the noises that were produced. At one point my dear friend Sean and I were wondering if we could get several of our dollars back for having to sit through this shit. The whole genre of neo-folk is pretty hit or miss with me, so my opinions are a bit skewed (albeit not in a particular direction); honestly though, the first thought that popped in my head was that this band would probably hold as much of my attention as Laibach did on my first and last hearings – turns out I was right. All the lyrics were in German, so I couldn't understand a single word; for example, this is what I heard for the most of the songs: VAS STRAH SNIGGLES! Euuuugh! EUUUUGH! Australlia... Ugh! Auuuustraaaalia ugh (repeat).

I must admit though that this was the only group I've seen where a skipping pit formed during the songs. Somewhere between 10 & 20 individuals just skipping in a circle being as merry as one can be while skipping in a damned circle. Some were even holding other individuals and swinging them around the floor as if they were mops. After the second song though, I too preferred to have my face slammed and wiped all over the floor as to get away from this band.

Agalloch:

Well, it was certainly worth the wait. Many of the songs were great and the band had a really good energy. Some oddities did occur, like the sound levels between songs; I don't understand how tracks played from The Mantle could be so much more crisper and coherent than the material played off of Ashes. The differences were astounding, several times did certain melodies literally disappear mid song from one instrument being drowned out only to reappear stronger later on. I mean christ I could see them playing the notes, but the sound just wasn't high enough in the mix in certain sections. Another thing that was odd was the difference in mic clarity: you would figure that they would have given Haughm the mic that was perfectly leveled since he is the lead singer. I was completely blown away by the tonal change and clarity of Anderson's vocals the few times he got on the microphone. It could be that he is a stronger vocalist, but it could equally just be true that someone fucked up the levels.

Other than those small complaints though, the show was a damn good one. Hopefully Agalloch will come back with some more bands that have some similarities. Perhaps Solstafir, Belenos, Fen, October Falls, Les Discrets, etc.

4. False Joe

False Joe Who cares.

As this post suggests, being bored enough to skim around all the forums I go on.

God damnit I hate being home.

5. Cronopio

Cronopio Glorious Imperator

I'm anxiously awaiting the X-mas n00dz krampus promised me in a PM last night.

6. challenge_everything

challenge_everything Active Member

^my experience of Agalloch was similar. They need a better sound crew.

7. V.V.V.V.V.

V.V.V.V.V. Houses Ov Mercury

wtf.

sup joe

8. False Joe

False Joe Who cares.

Sup nick.

How's life treating you?

9. V.V.V.V.V.

10. The Butt

The Butt Unholy gas, flares from my ass

:lol:

Should've been in the "Laugh you lose" thread tbh :V

11. False Joe

False Joe Who cares.

Sure you are.

Friends with the other one, Andy something. Likes cookies.

luv u rly bbz

12. unknown

unknown fuck ftagn

Pessimism: yeah Allerseelen definitely brought the nazis out wtf

Also, epic lulz at Haughm telling Aesop to shut up and then telling us "I've never had to fear for my teeth before... this is by far the most fucking insane crowd we've ever seen."

I had to get out of the middle and stand off to the side after "Into the Painted Grey". Too many douchebag teenagers

13. V.V.V.V.V.

:(

14. zabu of nΩd

zabu of nΩd Free Insultation

Welcome back Joe! Remember me, Big Dave?? :)

15. Srontgorrth

Srontgorrth Member

Yeah the crowd was pretty fucking annoying.

@Pessimism: I pretty much agree with your post (except there was only one song from the Mantle played). The sound on the Into the Painted Gray was terrible but after that it got much better (for the most part). I think I saw you, but I was completely sure so I didn't say anything :|

16. unknown

unknown fuck ftagn

Yeah the sound definitely got better as their set went out. Highlights for me were "Dead Winter Days" and "In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion". That did it for me

17. Onder

Onder Gegen unendlich

This evening will have the easy flow that I like. Just going somewhere with some guys and the chick who dislikes finger-smelling. Going around few pubs, meeting friends and drinking. Aahhh. Bye.

18. Cronopio

Cronopio Glorious Imperator

The gayness of a woman body. Remember.

19. unknown

unknown fuck ftagn

so the sun has finally decided to come out after six straight days of rain. almost forgot what the sky was

20. Pessimism

Pessimism Endemic Vagabond

Apparently MY CREW and I started some sort of seating arrangement for the venue on the left side because we just took the chairs that were lying around and made front row seats. I turn around after Limbs to see Winterthrall and a bunch of other people sitting behind me in other pilfered chairs and stuff. I thought it was pretty funny.

One part during the Agalloch set made me giggle like a fucking schoolgirl; the singer of Allenstelelenlanl kneeled before me trying to take pictures with flash on a neat little compact camera, and was generally pretty self conscious (he knew there were a fuckload of relaxed people behind him so he didn't stand in the way like a douche). This one guy runs up to him, whispers something, and they both are gone in a split second. My best friend Sean looks over at me, smiles, and says "Quickly, the Führer has called!"

I decided against bringing my camera because my friend Sanne* made some very very clear points on why I shouldn't bother tonight. She has gone to a few shows that Ironroom has managed and they ended up being very shitty places. She guessed there would be little to no light, and the conditions for photography would be shit for positioning (I agree, specifically for the lens I was going to use).

So many people were trying to use flash... with all the smoke they were pumping out, I don't understand what caused people to think that was a good idea. I was looking straight into a lot of camera's lcd screens and seeing the whited out monstrosities and figured people would think "hey, this is because of the fog machine!". No, they never did, and just kept flashing away.

Saw two girls with some fat pieces of glass however on the opposite right side. Naturally since they were not using flash I assumed they knew what they were doing :p (i.e. aperture priority mode; wide open lens at a minimum of 2.8, auto iso up to 3200 - even though 3200 may have been the damned minimum for some shots, etc.

**For shits and giggles some of her band photography

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pshaw, you should have said hi. I was looking for Unknown, but alas I did not find him. Once Agalloch started playing there was no way in hell I was getting up from my comfy front of the stage chair-down we had going on.