This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The "What Are You Doing This Moment" Thread

Discussion in 'GMD Social Forum' started by A8, Sep 15, 2007.

1. Vimana

Vimana Member

I never heard it from someone involved in the research, so that would make sense.

2. zerostatic

zerostatic Damned in Flames

For the last decade I have worked at a low-income middle school in a dangerous/ghetto area of Las Vegas.

I have seen racial fights/riots between Mexicans and Blacks. I have seen students(90% receive a free lunch at my school) go fucking wild and throw the food provided to them by the school at each other and all over the cafeteria.
    I have also seen students fresh off the boat from Cuba enter the school speaking no English and by the end of the year they are out performing their classmates. I've even had a student from Korea translate all of her assignments into Korean, complete them, and then translate it back to English so she could turn it in for a grade.

I understand that opportunities aren't equal or fair. Life isn't fair. I still have high expectations and standards for all the students. I guess I don't get it.

Fuck it, I need to make sure my bed sheets are clean for the next cross burning.

3. Krigloch the Furious

Krigloch the Furious Pants full of poo

Watching football. Not giving a fuck about the gay conversations ruining this thread.

4. Vimana

Vimana Member

I saw something somewhat similar in high school. There were Korean students, most of them immigrants, who lived in the less nice areas of my town. I didn't exactly interview them, but it seemed like their parents were working all the time since they seemed to have a lot more freedom than anyone else outside of their schoolwork, and because affording an apartment in my area and raising children requires working an insane amount. The point is, they weren't living easy. Their parents put tons of pressure on them, probably because they worked their asses off to live in this country they (in most cases) don't even speak the language of, and because hard work, a good education, and ending up in a good profession are big in Korean culture. In my freshman English class, one girl even cried because she was stressed from midterms.

Then there were some African American students who were from the same conditions or better who just fucked around. It wasn't all of them, but there were a sizable crowd the school could identify. My friends and I called them the "oil spill" because between every single class they'd stand in a particular formation in the middle of a three-way intersection between the main areas of the school and they'd always be there before anyone else. In the classes I had with them, they were loud, disruptive, obnoxious, didn't do any work, and got shitty grades. Often times they were on an IEP, which is supposed to make everything easier.

I definitely think shit like "why can't they just make their lives better?" when talking about people in horrible social conditions shows a huge misunderstanding of how exactly a person develops. People can't just will away being socialized in a hostile environment with little education when they have little to no understanding of any other type of life. But people do have some degree of control, and damage to a group can't be repaired without the damaged group making an effort, too. (Seriously, what are we supposed to do, blast them with beams that erase the trauma of living in a violent, impoverished environment and inject them with an education and the values of a different society?) Just look at people like Frederick Douglass and other civil rights activists who seized whatever opportunity they took to get educated and better themselves and ran with it, almost as a "fuck you" to a system that tried to oppress them. I guess I have a lot more respect for those people than the African Americans I went to high school with, because those people went through a lot to grant the right to an education to their people, and then I see the people they were fighting for calling the teacher racist for calling them out for disrupting a class for months on end.

TL;DR: People are not completely controlled by their environments, but they're also not 100% able to defy them, either. It's understandable when people from a shitty environment act shitty, but it's a problem when they still act shitty when people are putting forth effort to help them create better lives for themselves. I don't think everyone can work themselves out of everything, but I think they should try.

5. Dak

Dak mentat

Exactly. The bottom line is that the system is in fact bent over backwards at this point to help any disadvantaged non-white-male who gives the least little bit of a damn - and yet this hasn't seemed to help the problem much(which is not surprising to me at all - a mostly economic prediction).

6. Zephyrus

Zephyrus Tyrants and Slaves

Back in Maine for the Thanksgiving vacation week. Writing a term paper in the library of my undergrad alma mater.

7. Funerary_Doom

Funerary_Doom My head is bloody, but unbowed.

My moms job title got eliminated. She works for chase and chase is in a huge debt (a couple billion dollars) and so that decided to cut her job title and lay a bunch of people off. She got an offer to stay under a different title, but hopefully that offer still stands when shit hits the fan.

In other words I got the job at AHRC and go in on Tuesday to give in my documents and to get finger printed. Yay to health benefits :)

8. Onder

Onder Gegen unendlich

Today I'm doing a presentation for my class. It's going to be about Leishmaniasis and I prepared many ugly photos of the symptoms. I can't wait be cynical while showing deformed faces on the screen.

9. Krigloch the Furious

Krigloch the Furious Pants full of poo

10. Krow

Krow Garbage Connoisseur

Not sure if its this way in other states but today is the first day of deer season and in wv, if you want that day off, you get it. There's like four of us at work today. It was 14 degress this morning. Fuck hunting in that.

11. damnromulans

damnromulans Klingons do not faint

Woot woot for you. Hope things work out for your mom too. Meanwhile I'm sure all the higherups are getting raises!

12. Master_Yoda77

Master_Yoda77 Juggalo

Watching the snow fall and printing off some articles. Joyous.

13. Funerary_Doom

Thanks Laura! Am super excited! I hope so too, she's kinda old and should retire but she has a hard time staying home. And of course the ones responsible for the poor financial choices are the ones getting the raises! 'Murica.

14. Eligos

Eligos Problem Yet to be Solved

Applied for some jobs and unemployment. My sister has the 3DS today, so instead of playing Pokemon Y I'm heading over to the new girl's house to watch Game of Thrones and hammer out our new rating system for the nudies.

Then going to see the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special in 3D with a gaggle of mates. It's gonna be a good day, Tater.

15. Nephilim96

Nephilim96 Member

1) I thought you quit your job?
    2) You should have taken the day off anyways. I bet half of those people aren't actually hunting.

16. Nephilim96

Nephilim96 Member

When did that happen, and why haven't you informed us of her yet? Where are the pics man?

It's your responsibility. New Slam Piece = Pics

17. Nephilim96

Nephilim96 Member

I have become a weirdo. I want to fuck an anime character.

I'm becoming Mort.

18. rms

rms Active Member

You're weird because you ask every random person on the internet a picture of a girl they are dating, do something productive man

19. Nephilim96

Nephilim96 Member

That is productive. :Smokedev:

20. Funerary_Doom

Super slow day at work. Ugh and it was cold as shit.

Also went to the dentist and I'm kind of happy that my dentist still calls me kiddo after all these years and asks how's school. Sweet guy. Makes me feel young again.