This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The what I like thread

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Feb 14, 2006.

1. KoichCPA

KoichCPA Banned

Are you getting a babyseat for your scooter Rob?

2. Winmar

Winmar Pillock of society

Haha nah the storage box on the back will do. ;)

3. Celestial-Todd

Celestial-Todd The Incredible Bulk

When the same people who trained you come to ask for your help because you "know more" then them

4. Si

Si The Trickster's Bitch

Ah, the student has become the master.

5. sadisticsatyr

sadisticsatyr Young Apprentice

We call it "Train the trainer" infact, it used to be something we looked forward to as a challenge.

6. Celestial-Todd

Celestial-Todd The Incredible Bulk

Probably more to do with the fact that when I joined the project I'm working on currently, it was like being thrown straight into the deep end. No choice but to learn haha

7. pipsqeek

pipsqeek Musical Delinquent

Haven't been on the forums in a while. There's a lot to like right now.

1. Music school is going strong. Slowly building up clientele and I'll soon have the keys to a place just 5 minutes from home that's big enough for 10 practice rooms. My mate suggested that I build a vocal room and an amp box to record shit. I care little for recording. I know little about it. I'll leave that for the guys who know what they're doing. I'll stick to teaching.

2. One of the biggest musical projects I've been involved in finally got played live, the way it was intended. We played at The Vanguard in Newtown. The reception of the crowd for the theatre performance and our music was incredible. People waited around for us to come down later, after packing up and all congratulated us. Someone from the crowd told me they'd have easily paid good money to see this in all its glory at the Sydney Opera House.

3. I've started a partnership with a local Cajon importer who also does drum workshops and lessons. We have spoken with the cajon building in Spain and asked them if they're interested in supplying us with flat packed cajones. He said yes and asked us why we wanted them like this? We told him that we're planning on promoting a percussion workshop for schools where we come in, each kid gets a "kit" and we all build it together, playing it in a drum circle at the end of the day. And the kids get to take the cajon home.

We're currently working out if the idea is going to be pitched at music classes or woodworking classes (or both). Are we going to come in each day for a few days and build the things, play them and go away? Are we going to do it all in one day, one period, one week, a month? So the finer details are still vague. But we'll sort it out.

I can't wait to open the music school officially. At the moment, I've been driving around my neighbourhood to customers homes and teaching there. I don't mind because it's all within 5 minutes of my place. I'm keeping it really local.

8. chrisvp

chrisvp Member

Thats awesome Pip, all the best of luck with it .
    If my kids were to go to some kind of music school in the future then by the sounds of what you are doing it would be a great place to learn the beauty of music .
    Well done man :)

9. Nebulous

Nebulous Daniel

Great work Pip!

10. pipsqeek

Thanks guys.

I'm trying to make the school as fun as possible so students don't feel like they have to come, but want to come.

I can't wait to get the keys to the place so I can start fitting it out. Since money is always an issue, I'm going to put in one room at a time. Though I'll start with 2 rooms so two students can learn simultaneously. As the numbers build (and so does the capitol), room 3 and 4 will be built. And so on until the entire space is filled with rooms, leaving only the small retail area where there will be student instruments, books and stuff.

I'm trying to avoid investing huge amounts of money into stuff I don't or won't need. And that goes for higher ticket items like $1000+ guitars and stuff. Not because I want to be tight with my money, but because I don't want what my IT business had, money tied up in stock you just can't get rid of. So when people say "Oh cool, a music shop." I correct them and say "No, a music school".

Thanks again for all your support guys.

pip

11. chrisvp

chrisvp Member

you hit the nail right on there man, its about students wanting to come and learn and not be put in front of a music teacher with an old crusty Hal Leonard guitar book, I used to teach at a music shop over ten years ago and was having fun with it because the students I had actually wanted to learn interesting stuff, plus they liked the fact that I transcribed in tab heaps of metal stuff for them :)
    This is coming from a guy who mind you does not know music theory heh heh and only learnt by tab.

12. Si

Si The Trickster's Bitch

I just finished writing my last assessment for the semester, sending it off with half an hour to spare.

Originally I had plenty of time for it, I like to get these things done early. But a broken nose and then a throat infection ate up all of my time budget. I never want it to come this close again. Hopefully there's no glaring errors or stupid stuff that I missed because I was so tired.

But damn, that's it for a few weeks. I can kick back and actually enjoy my family and stuff. And hope and pray that I pass, of course. Damn it feels good to have that weight off.

13. Winmar

It's a great feeling to get rid of a subject. I'm doing the last one of my degree, which finishes on Friday. Can't wait. Do you find you don't do things like watch movies when you're studying? I'd like to do that kind of thing again.

14. Shadow298

Shadow298 UNLEASH THE GUAN

got told by the nurse today that I am healed up enough that I only have to come in 3 days a week and can look after myself at home more

plus I was offered my old JB HiFi guard job back as a reserve guard but still means that I get the staff discount and some cash -which I really need to cover bills and such

15. pipsqeek

Brendan turned up with his missus to the gig (open mic) I played at with Sash last night. Pleasant surprise. Hope you liked the show.

16. Calco

Calco Member

Running across gems like this on facebook :D
    [​IMG]

17. maiL huma

maiL huma Collingwood forever

I don't do anything, it's ridiculous. Stop watching movies, going out, enjoying life basically - the one thing I've forced myself to do this semester is never miss my regular golf game with my mates on Sunday morning, and that's been a lifesaver, something to look forward to all week. My wife's been doing a few units this semester as well and we've been total recluses...

Being on prac is hard as well - you've got so much crap to do with preparing lessons, taking everything in, dealing with kids, day to day stresses of a school that you're new at and so on - then uni work on top of that sucks big sweaty hairy ass. Nearly finished though. :)

18. Winmar

It sucks monster balls. It'd be much easier to be a lazy student who's happy just to pass! Giving up so much of life all the time isn't fun. I've got a Wii which I haven't turned on this year because I can't justify the time. I find plenty of other ways to waste time (like coming to places like this!) but try to cut out other ones like that. So sick of it. What course are you doing?

19. Si

Si The Trickster's Bitch

The thing I most miss with study is reading for pleasure. You know, just picking up a book and reading a chapter or two, without analysing every sentence for relevance and context.

And the other thing is, it's two days after finishing my assessment, and I still can't remember what to do with my spare time.

20. maiL huma

maiL huma Collingwood forever

I'm doing a double degree in Arts with a History major (finished that part) and Teaching - still got a few units to go, but hopefully done y the end of the year. It sucks that pretty much as soon as you actually start seeing the light at the end of the tunnel your motivation and care factor has reached rock bottom....