This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The what I like thread

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Bucko

Bucko Member

FRIDAYS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Vacant_Planets

Vacant_Planets Queen Nicole

This one is only 40% gay, Its my mission to explore the other 60% with all 100% of my fag hagness! LOL!:lol:

3. Shadow298

Shadow298 UNLEASH THE GUAN

good to have goals. :headbang:

4. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

Sugar's insidious, it's in so much processed food, sometimes under the guise of fructose, glucose, etc.

Some sauces are over 50% sugar.

I hear the rule of thumb is to avoid foods with over 10g sugars per 100g.

A survey not so long ago found the only healthy popular cereals are Weet-bix and Vita Wheats, Sultana Bran just scraped into range, everything else is almost junk food. Corn flakes has more salt (sodium) per 100g than a pack of chips, why don't they taste salty? They add sugar until the salty taste is masked.

s

5. Celestial-Todd

Celestial-Todd The Incredible Bulk

The problem with Weet-bix (I'm guilty of this), is that they only just scrape under the "10 per 100" rule... but then most people cover it in additional sugar to sweeten it up

6. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

Are you sure they're not the fruity bix? Just checked my Weet-Bix - 3.3g sugars/100g.

I can't stomach milk and always have chocolate powder with it, Sustagen these days.

s

7. Goreripper

Goreripper Metal as fuck

Fructose is sugar derived directly from fruit. Most nutritionists consider it a "good" sugar. Everything made from plants has fructose in it.

8. Si

Si The Trickster's Bitch

And it's a fun word to say.

9. Vacant_Planets

Vacant_Planets Queen Nicole

It's the most important goal in my life. :lol:

10. Celestial-Todd

My point still stands... I've watched people before say something along the lines of "I like to have a healthy breakfast... that's why I have weet-bix" and then proceed to dump about 10 pounds of sugar on it

11. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

True if you ingest it by eating fruit and even still overeating fruit isn't a good thing either and some fruits are worse for you than others if you're watching your weight.

So many processed foods contain high levels of fructose, in particular high fructose corn syrup (HFCS).

Fructose... the deadly sweet

From the article above:

In nearly every way, fructose is metabolized the same way as ethanol, creating the same toxins in your body.

We normally have pathways in our brains that regulate when we stop eating. Fructose undermines these normal satiety signals, increasing caloric consumption both directly and indirectly.

A good warning in there about infant formula too, you'd think the manufacturers would know better.

Have witnessed someone dump sugar on Frosties.

s

12. Goreripper

Goreripper Metal as fuck

That fructose study is from the US, so I'm not exactly sure what it's doing on an Australian site. Food processing in Australia doesn't rely on HFCS as much as they do there, because we use sugar cane instead of corn. American Coke, for example, is made with HFCS instead of sugar which is why if you've ever had it, it tastes differently to the local stuff.

13. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

Yes that is unusual.

Looking it up sucrose (sugar) consists of 50% fructose and 50% glucose.

I guess avoiding sugar will take care of avoiding high levels of fructose here in Aus.

I can't remember the last time I bought sugar or salt in pure form, it's in everything I eat these days so basically I can't see a point. I do get more than my share through chocolates and salty snacks :lol:.

s

14. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

The problem with fructose is that it stops you from feeling full. In that respect it can actually be worse than sucrose. Another thing to avoid is fruit juices. The amount of vegetation (fibre) that is discarded to make the juice is the key- if you wouldn't have normally eaten that much fruit, then just eating the water and sugar extracted from the fruit is pretty much as bad as drinking soft drink. In fact, comparing Berri dark grape juice and their apple juice to a bottle of soft drink, the fruit juice had more sugar.

15. Si

Si The Trickster's Bitch

Yeah, they put corn syrup in everything, even stuff like crackers. This is because the corn lobby is huge in the US, and money talks a lot louder than a whole bunch of dying voters. The government practically forces the food companies to put corn syrup into everything. This is the same reason they're going heavily into corn ethanol fuel despite it actually being worse for the environment than petroleum. It's not the people who want it, Mexican Coke is highly prized in the US because it uses cane sugar and tastes so much better.

In other news, US Congress recently named pizza sauce a vegetable. It seems the pizza manufacturers also have a good lobby, especially when it comes to school catering.

16. Celestial-Todd

If anyone's seen the Jamie Oliver US specials, it's no surprise that they'd decide that pizza is acceptable as a "vegetable"

17. Bucko

Bucko Member

the rain stopping yay

18. Cooee

Cooee Member

I have APJ playing and I've meant to post this before, but I really dig these songs, especially played in order:

The Traveller
    One World
    Behind The Mask

Probably my favourite Dungeon / Lord material.

19. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

There was always talk of The Traveller being played live one day. Might be cool! :)

20. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member