This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The what pisses you off thread

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Crozzy, Jan 23, 2006.

1. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

I haven't been to QLD for quite a while but I remember the awesomeness of being at a nightclub and seeing sunrise through the windows at 3 am or so, no having to walk home in the dark but probably not good if you're feeling seedy.

The other end of the scale - Spain with the 10pm sunsets, when there's women walking their dogs on the streets at midnight you just feel safe on the streets at such a late hour. Then there was the siesta weirdness of almost every shop closing at 2pm to re-open at 5pm.

s

2. Robotman

Robotman Gun Kata

I still love being in Helsinki during Midsummer and Midwinter. Totally trippy.

3. Si

Si The Trickster's Bitch

In a few weeks, I will be as old as Homer Simpson. This is officially getting old. This doesn't piss me off, I'm OK with growing older, at least until some better option comes along. One thing that comes with getting older is not understanding popular music, and finding it strange and confusing.

But this isn't happening. Pop music has just become dull! I mean there always was a lot of shit, but there was also at least a couple of songs out at any given time that was good. My wife listens to 2Day FM, every single fucking song is just a ringtone! It's fucking boring and annoying! There's a reason why so many public places ask you to turn off your phone's ringer. This is what happens when the recording industry is taken over by accountants. Ringtones sell, what is art?

And even the alternative stuff is shit. Triple J used to be edgy and soulful. Now it's just some twits whining in harmony to an acoustic guitar, or a dance anthem. It's all either no balls or no soul. Why the fuck does youth radio sound like granddad music?

I watch Rage, and it's all the same old stuff. I listen to the radio and nothing inspires me. Obviously as a metalhead I've never had much time for chart hits, but fucking come on.

I have studied this, and decided as objectively as I can that no, I'm not getting out of touch. I'm not being left behind. It really is that the music these days is shit. No wonder so many kids cut themselves these days.

But you know what really pisses me off? In about five years 90s retro will be in vogue. And you know what that means? Seattle grunge. Performed by pop princesses. In a simplified way that will not lose quality on a mobile phone speaker. In their $300 designer flannos. Fuuuuck.

4. Lord_Aj

Lord_Aj Son of Asa Lande

You were saying?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txBfhpm1jI0&ob=av2e[/ame]

5. Winmar

Winmar Pillock of society

Si, you sound like me! I'd like to get into some new music but don't hear anything on the radio that appeals to me at all.

6. Si

Si The Trickster's Bitch

Yeah, and you know what else? Every song is about S-E-X. Not love, not good honest rooting, it's OMG-this-is-so-naughty-tee-hee bullshit. Stupid puritanical Americans can't enjoy fucking, it has to be dirty.

And the Pretty Reckless chills me to the core.

7. chrisvp

chrisvp Member

agreed.
    the more annoying and plastic the song , the more the tasteless wankers on radio will play it.

8. Shadow298

Shadow298 UNLEASH THE GUAN

pissed off that we once again have to find a new housemate, since the one we got has disappeared (though left his stuff) and isn't answering his phone at all

so, anyone in Canberra or moving to Canberra in the next week looking for a place?

9. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

Si - you aren't getting old. For almost 20 years now a lot of popular music has been significantly lacking in spirit. It IS the same bunch of whiney crap that makes an emo queef. (and then giggle with embarrassment behind its soft, pallid hand).

If I listen to music I want to bee inspired or feel powerful- not just fill up the silence.

It's sad and unfortunate that this is what the mainstream appears to enjoy, when people who can actually play their instruments are capable of so much more than the almighty dollar will let them do. And it's come from the record-label made "stars". Gits with a pretty face and an autotuned voice but have all their music and lyrics written for them by typewriter monkeys on minimum wage. So many of these transient superstars will sink back into the murk without a trace- they won't be touring stadiums in another 20 years. And good riddance! The recent trend of idol/talent reality TV is just another marketing machine for finding talent and screwing it to the wall under contract.

We already have talented Aussie bands that are FAR better than anything you're likely to see on reality shows or the guest spots on GNW/Sunrise. Yet we're forced to digest the same monotonous product that would give any of the great composers a chronic case of ass cancer if they were forced to hear as much of it as we are.

In fact, I think The Wiggles have more talent than 90% of the popular music I've seen lately. And their audience loves them.

10. Nebulous

Nebulous Daniel

I made the choice a long time ago to stop listeing to the radio, except for certain PBS FM specialty programs which I advertise in my sig haha.

11. Winmar

Winmar Pillock of society

The manufactured stuff has been around for a long time; why is there so little exciting music around now though? Where's the next Soundgarden or Faith No More?

12. Celestial-Todd

Celestial-Todd The Incredible Bulk

Probably sitting in a garage wondering why they can't get signed

13. Si

Si The Trickster's Bitch

Actually those typewriter monkeys make an absolute fortune. Far more than the poor old popstar. That's where the money is, if you can't own the record company then write the music.

14. Celestial-Todd

Celestial-Todd The Incredible Bulk

On the odd occasion that we leave on Video Hits on sunday mornings, I'm constantly astounded by how CRAP modern pop music is. I'm not talking rap or hip hop either, the standard of "rock" these days is ridiculously poor

Which brings me to another beef... I hate seeing pop-rock / popstars throwing up the horns and trying to look "metal". It's just pathetic

15. Goreripper

Goreripper Metal as fuck

16. Shadow298

Shadow298 UNLEASH THE GUAN

I like Muse too because they are more aligned to the older British prog style which influenced metal a lot

bands that flirt with metal can be fine
    The Tea Party for example with the release of Temptation (which I may have to buy again due to over playing) and to a lesser degree Cypress Hill with their double album Skull & Bones
    hey show respect for metal

but when you get bands playing pseudo rock/metal trying to create a new image or steal from an older style, making it more homogenous
    that Taylor Monson bint is a prime example
    some skank from Gossip Girl having a "rock band" and doing "rockstar things" when it is all bullshit

wish that could let music be music and stop all this bullshit (especially with the autotune)

pretty much people are waiting for the new punk, the new grunge and the new fad which will then be consumed and destroyed by the masses
    it was meant to be emo but that stayed fringe
    so they wait, watching for their next bit of commercial prey

17. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

I think the problem comes back to the sheltered, spoon-fed nature of the popular artist under contract. There is nothing like a bit of adversity to fuel the creative juices. In the words of a band already past it's prime: It's easy to be hungry when you ain't got shit to lose.

I was thinking a lot about how different independent bands become popular after writing that earlier dribble. Is it just plain luck (there are MANY very hardworking bands, some hit a market niche and others don't) or is it because they innovate more through adversity?

I was wondering what would happen if Lord beefed up their show with some props and gadgets- made it more visual... IM has Eddie, if you go to a small venue Tea Party concert they'd often have a subsonic generator going or trot out one of Jeff's exotic instruments. There must be something that can be done (budget permitting) which would add a little extra dimension that puts Lord further above other acts than they are already.

18. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

I sense a call for the Scary Metal Poo Monster.

s

19. Trephinator

Trephinator The Mongrel

I for one wouldn't want to be owning a major label record company in 2010

20. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

Haha- no that'd be "The Return of the Toilet" tour...