This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The what pisses you off thread

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Crozzy, Jan 23, 2006.

1. pipsqeek

pipsqeek Musical Delinquent

I have an external drive and a big NAS box which I back up to daily. The NAS holds 30 days of backups.

About a year ago I went to add more photos I recently took to my photo albums, and while I was there I thought I'd check out some older photos while the data transferred across. All 30 days of my photos were corrupted.

I lost about 10 years of photos. And to top it off, the backup on the external drive which only holds my photos and music was corrupted.

Note, not the drive or the entire contents. Just the photos.

My wife loves bringing it up to watch me fume.

2. Celestial-Todd

Celestial-Todd The Incredible Bulk

I had similar with my home videos (wedding, honeymoon, Jess' dancing and me drumming). Had a drive dedicated just for them and a backup... I accidentally formatted the drive in the pc while rebuilding and when I went to copy from the backup, found the drive had been corrupted

3. sadisticsatyr

sadisticsatyr Young Apprentice

Children of Bodom's last few releases....this try-before-you-buy internet thing is saving me from being repeatedly ripped off.

4. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

Formatted drives can be recovered by data recovery services - corrupted ones I'd still submit and see what they can do. Worth it IMHO for 10 years of memories. Another thing you can do, particularly if you did a quick format is use Ghost or Storagecraft (or some disk block level backup tool) and set it to image the entire drive (even "empty" blocks). Then you can perform your multiple recoveries on the image using different tools- even destructive ones without ruining the source disk.

5. Shadow298

Shadow298 UNLEASH THE GUAN

What really pissed me off today was getting an e-mail from one of my tutors saying that some girl complained that I "dominate & intimidate" the other students in the tute.
    For fuck's sake!
    You're in university, you should be able to deal with such things and also actually be able to talk, not sit there in silence. Especially if you're a later year student.

Yes, I may be louder than most, more forth right but don't be pissed off with me because I'm basically smarter than you and have had far more life experience.

So will literally let the stupid kids suffer in silence and see if they can do the in class work without me.

6. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

We had an annoying pratt in our classes too. I'll guarantee that because he asked so many questions- even obvious ones, that the rest of us learned more things than if he hadn't been there. Sometimes you are just too young and stupid to realise that you're paying these guys in one way or another so you'd better get everything you need out of them while you have the chance.

7. vinnievincent

vinnievincent rawk it up!

This is becoming a common story amongst people I know. People are losing photos, videos etc due to storage devices failing.

I've probably got about 100 photos from my childhood....the kids of today in 20 years will either have 4000 photos from their childhood or zero at this rate!

8. Spikes Red

Spikes Red Member

I need to get an external drive for these reasons.
    What is everyone's advice about the whole backing up and keeping things stored issue?
    I figure if you have things on multiple things, then if one fails, you are safe?
    The discussion can be taken to the computer tech thread if needs be, but I would love to hear people's ideas on this.
    I, like everyone else, would be devastated to lose everything.

9. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

Here are some options:

1. If only for photos, buy a big enough thumb drive and mail it to your mum (or relative-gender-non-specific). When you visit, update the thumb drive. Thumb drives come in 64Gb these days- though those are expensive. Buy your (relative-gender-non-specific) a decent digital photo frame and they will know if the thumbdrive ever tanks pretty quick. $20-$100 depending on your thumbdrive size.
    2. Buy 2 external HDDs. Have one as the definitive copy have one out of your house (in case it burns down etc.), also back up the definitive copy to your home computer. Remember to update them and hopefully disk check them now and then. I tend not to trust the backup software that often comes with these devices... $150-200 for 320-500Gb you might also need more space on your home computer. Why three locations? What happens if you wipe one copy in preparation to overwrite and your original tanks part way through?? Furthermore, organize your data into silos like MP3, PIX and Crap- have the free space for two versions of a silo on each device and only delete the outdated version once the current version has finished copying. I do "Proper" updates every couple of weeks but I usually write new files to at least two devices in an unorganized manner (ie: latest crap folder) between times. Sounds hard but it isn't. The objective is to never have all three devices in the same location at once.
    3. If you don't need a huge amount of space use an online service like dropbox (www.dropbox.com) which will also keep the files from multiple computers in different locations in sync. Good if you are slack and your parents want to see the latest photos of the kids. The free Dropbox account comes with 2GB of space that you can use for as long as you like. Need more than 2GB of space? 50Gb = $10/month, 100Gb = $20/month - US Dollars I think...

All of these work well if your house is a total loss provided you remember to update your backups from the definitive copy now and then. The dropbox one is virtually set and forget but you'll be paying a monthly fee for > 2Gb. If you're storing hundreds of gigabytes (movies etc) it's probably too expensive (don't forget you're also potentially paying internet charges to keep these files in sync)- but for 10-50Gb of family snaps and other crap it is ok.

After having spent a couple of hundred hours scanning/editing/describing ~60 photo albums worth from my relatives I do NOT want to have to do that again!!

10. Falkor

Falkor J.B.C.M

Heres my advice.

Print the fuckers, I hate storing digital photos its a pain in the butt!

What my wife and I do is, we keep the digital photos but we use snapfish or a similar service and compile a photobook from the event.
    E.g. one for our wedding, one for our trip to NZ etc.

That way, we have a leather bound printed book for each trip/event. They only cost like $50.
    We keep all the digital photos too, but in the event they are lost we have these.

11. Celestial-Todd

My wife got a couple of hundred photos printed out a couple of months ago. I'll have to check out snapfish for the future

Now that we have Violet, storing videos and photos has taken on new importance. I've set up an online backup account to store them and also have a hard drive at my parents place that I update every couple of weeks as well

12. Spikes Red

Spikes Red Member

Cheers guys!!
    External drives, definitely gonna go with that one.
    Send one to someone else to hold, fucking brilliant idea. Fire would mean a total loss of everything.

I simply must do a heap of scanning, all our kid's photos are from years ago. Would be awesome to have them on the computer.
    Daunting job, but must be done.

13. Celestial-Todd

You can get portable scanners these days, apparently they're tops for old photos

Alternatively, many full sized scanners will "auto-trim"... so you can put several photos on the slate at once and it was seperate them out into individual files for you

14. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

I have between 10,000 and 15,000 photos. About a third of those are scanned. Unlikely that printing them (again) is the solution. And storage of 60+ albums is insane. That's also one of the reasons why I now use an ebook reader+ a thumbdrive and not six bookcases.

You can also scan negatives and slides directly but that is slower and in my experience the outcome is worse than scanning the print even at (supposedly) 4000dpi.

15. Winmar

Winmar Pillock of society

Mike Starr dying. Yet another lost to heroin. Nasty.

16. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

* Auto-Tune

...nobody mention that Friday song.

s

#17296 StephenSLR, Mar 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2015
  17. Celestial-Todd

It's odd how the attitude towards autotune has gone from "it's great, we can fix up that one note she just missed" to "awesome, let's make her sound like a computer"

18. Shadow298

Shadow298 UNLEASH THE GUAN

People's obsession with this fucking friday song by the hideous Rebecca Black.

It's awful, yes, so stop fucking talking about it! Stop making memes about it! Stop working it into popular culture!

Yes, I know the hypocrisy of me ranting about it because it is talking about it but just have to get this shit out my system because I punch someone! :mad:

19. matt2006

matt2006 Member

It's pretty catchy...

20. Celestial-Todd

Part of me can't help but think that the label who "produced" the song are loving the attention it's getting. We all ridicule it, but there's bound to be plenty of 12 - 13 year old girls who are dumb enough to love the song

All I can say about it is... you're 13... what the fuck are you doing driving a car?