This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The what pisses you off thread

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Crozzy, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Celestial-Todd

Celestial-Todd The Incredible Bulk

I'm guessing Underbelly is the only thing he's ever seen about Australia?

2. Shadow298

Shadow298 UNLEASH THE GUAN

I think more that he is hanging on gun-nut forums and such who post up skewed and false facts.

It basically started with him posting up a video called "the truth of Australian gun crime" which had as much truth in it as a story from A Current Affair or Today Tonight.

He's one of those Libertarians. Which basically means "freedom for me, none for you and I twist the laws & constitution into what I want them to be".

3. Si

Si The Trickster's Bitch

You can't argue with people like that. They're wall-to-wall dogmatic belief and confirmation bias. They are fundamentally unable to accept anything but their own point of view. There may be some merit in posting facts so that other people don't simply swallow the bullshit as true, I suppose. But at the end of the day you have to ask, is it worth my sanity?

4. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

I had a similar debate with a Yank over their health care. They like to believe their country and whatever system they have in place is the best and everyone else are communists.

He was saying his tax dollars shouldn't be spent looking after people, if someone gets sick they should look to their community for support, charity, etc.

YEAH RIGHT!

s

5. Goreripper

Goreripper Metal as fuck

GWAR were right.

6. Shadow298

GWAR are always right.

7. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

Getting diabetes for my 40th birthday. Lot of family history for it so I kinda expected it sometime.

8. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

Sorry to hear it.

Are you overweight or consume a lot of sugary product?

I thought if you had it in the family but looked after yourself you'd be okay, no?

s

9. Shadow298

[​IMG]

10. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

haha. Yes on both counts. Overweight and ate/drank a fair bit of crap. I do quite a bit of exercise and hardly drink any booze which is probably why the doc said so many things were in very good shape- eyes, kidneys, thyroid etc. I also have a fatty liver which is a problem likely linked to high cholesterol. Nonetheless, its easy to see the signs in hindsight, which for me were tired during the day to the point where I'd sleep in the afternoons on weekends, plus blurry distance vision- in particular at night. When I had a real high sugar event on Monday everything beyond 3m was very blurry- I couldn't read the big green signs on the freeway beyond about 10m. This will go away when my blood sugar recedes. Boils down to high glucose in your eyeball changes the refractive index. For a week or so before the attack I was extremely thirsty and drank 2-3 times more water than I normally would.

Doc said even in the best of circumstances (good diet etc) he thinks I would still have wound up with it eventually. From my point of view it's no big deal. I just need to take a tablet every day and change around the things I eat and when I eat them.

11. Si

Si The Trickster's Bitch

I turned 40 a couple of weeks back, I get my bloods back tomorrow. I'm not expecting diabetes, but cholesterol might be a thing. Almost everyone in my father's family has either survived a heart attack or, you know, not survived it. Could have more to do with all the booze, smokes, and British cooking though, so I should be safe.

12. Celestial-Todd

Celestial-Todd The Incredible Bulk

I can't help but laugh to myself everytime I go to the docs with ANY ailment... the first response is "lets take some bloods" to test for

a - high cholesterol
    b - diabetes

And they test my blood pressure

The one upside of not drinking / smoking and drinking litres of water a day is that other then being generally overweight, I'm "perfectly healthy"

That being said, I've dropped 10kg in the last few months. On my way to finally forfilling a promise I made when Violet was born two years ago

13. Si

Si The Trickster's Bitch

Good work, hope you get your target weight and stay there.

Of course you could be Jack Spratt and still have cholesterol issues, because your own body makes it and some bodies overproduce regardless of diet or health.

14. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

How do you know that, from a blood test?

Sheesh, I do that but I hear it's good to get in an afternoon nap, I feel so much better for the evenings. I also go to the gym which can leave you tired but I was sleeping in quite a bit a few months back - I thought I was going through a bout of mild depression - my mood wasn't the best either, I was easily getting upset/worried about things.

Yeah I knew someone that went blind from it as well as losing some toes, from poor circulation?

What happens in an attack?

s

15. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

Yes, fatty liver from a blood test, but he wants me to have an ultrasound as well to be sure.

Don't take what I say as gospel- I'm not a doctor and there is plenty of misinformation on the internet. Fruthermore I've only just got this and I'm still learning. Let me try and describe the whole afternoon nap thing better. I'd sleep quite a bit, and things like get up in the morning, eat breakfast then practically be asleep on the train to work and on the train home. It seems as if when there was nothing for me to focus my attention on, I'd just start feeling like sleeping. Anytime I found myself sitting passively (TV for instance) I'd soon feel like sleeping.

Everyone is different. One of the ladies at work said that when her blood sugar is high (she's a type 1) she starts to get cranky and will snap at people over stupid little things that wouldn't normally bother her.

Diabetes definitely affects your circulation. Best defense is to keep moving, the more you move the better your blood circulation etc. I'm guessing that after I've had it 20 years or so then I will likely have some of these problems, but because I don't drink or smoke I'm well ahead of many people who get this problem.

In my case an "attack" meant the first thing I really noticed was drinking a lot. I had recently cut out all soft drink though so I thought it was just my body going "oi- need more of that liquid sugar matey". I knew it was one of the signs of diabetes but the penny hadn't dropped yet. Then about 1-2 weeks later - my birthday, I had a fair bit of sugary stuff and noticed that evening that my long distance vision was terrible. Couldn't read foot high letters beyond about 10m distance. The next day I went to the doctor and got some tests, then went to work, felt very tired, like trying to do things from down a long dark tunnel or stuck in quicksand. The morning he finally gave me medication I was bone tired. I had my tablet at about 11am I guess. At 12 noon I slept until about 3pm- by then I was feeling much better. By 5pm I was almost manic, I'm guessing because it had been so long since my cells any real energy. I remember feeling that way a long time ago- so excited that your muscles tingle, almost ache with the need to do something.

The doctor called diabetes "drowning in the desert" or something like that, because you are literally swimming with energy (glucose) but your cells can't use any of it.

You need to get within a particular range of blood sugar for everything to work properly and there are several things you can do to improve your cells insulin sensitivity. Eventually I may not need medication at all, which for the moment is the main goal. I don't want to be going back to the health system- there are plenty of people with more deserving problems than mine.

16. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

I was going through something like that, I thought it was just boredom. I'd have breakfast on weekends and soon after go back to bed. Also going to sleep not long after coming back from work, I was getting in 12 hour sleeps regularly.

I'm better now though.

Sounds like a woman I know, lol. So quick to fire up, there's a new phenomenon around affecting women - Intermittent explosive disorder (IED)

Best of luck with that. I've dropped a bit of weight since looking at my sugar intake, analysing what I eat and anything with more than 10% sugar I try to avoid, of course I have my binges but when I do it's real confectionery not confectionery disguised as food.

s

17. Si

Si The Trickster's Bitch

By the way, my bloods are all good. Which was what I expected, but it's nice to have it verified. Next milestone is at 45 when I get a finger up my bum.

18. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

The finger test has been superseded with a blood test and you should've had your PSA analysed when you had your blood test.

All those ages have been pushed forward by about 10 years, it used to be 50 for bowel cancer testing, it's now 40, same with the PSA test.

s

19. Si

Si The Trickster's Bitch

Hmm, not sure, maybe that was tested then, assuming my GP knows what she's doing. I asked for the works. I was talking about my prostate with the finger thing.

20. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

Yeah I know, the PSA is a test for a Prostate-Specific Antigen.

s