This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The what's going on in Thrash thread

Discussion in 'Testament' started by one man, Oct 2, 2012.

1. redfly

redfly Ruled By The Riff

Well if that's your reality that it's all business and no family with thrash then I feel sorry for you. That is absolutely not my reality. If it was I wouldn't be here. I've met and made friends with people all over the world through thrash music. Not only fans but the artists themselves.

Slammed likes this.
  2. redfly

redfly Ruled By The Riff

:D

Slammed likes this.
  3. redfly

redfly Ruled By The Riff

Sweet. I wonder if I can catch that on Youtube?

Slammed likes this.
  4. redfly

redfly Ruled By The Riff

Slammed likes this.
  5. Slammed

Slammed Active Member

I reckon the people who treat it like a business only rise to the bottom of the heap fairly quickly by themselves. Look at the likes of Scott Ian (he's not the only one but he's one of the best at it), he kisses arse, tries to keep up with the popular bands and then hangs off their coat tails wherever he can. But he reveals his own true colours.

No matter what Gene might have once said if he treated it like like a business only he wouldn't be as respected throughout the community like he is. Obviously he's in it to make money, we all have to make a living, but it's pretty obvious that thought either died along time ago or was miss quoted.

redfly likes this.
  6. Slammed

Slammed Active Member

redfly likes this.
  7. Slammed

Slammed Active Member

I don't think the world is that shitty at the moment but I couldn't resist kicking Kirk just a little bit :)

redfly likes this.
  8. TempleOfBlood

TempleOfBlood Active Member

Once again, I am not talking about me and you.

I'm talking about metal musicians. It's their business.

I don't make my living with metal. They do. It's my passion but it doesn't put food on my table.

It's why Gene and Alex are playing in a band they don't want to be in.

I'm as passionate about thrash metal as anyone. At this point I've seen how they all act though. I've been listening to thrash since 1987.

9. redfly

redfly Ruled By The Riff

Yeah I think Gene either changed his tune or was mis quoted. I remember him saying he wasn't that into it because it wasn't heavy enough. And let's face it Testament did leave a little to be desired in the drum department compared to the other bands. And that Demonic was his favorite album. No bias. :)

Scott's true color is green.

Slammed likes this.
  10. TempleOfBlood

TempleOfBlood Active Member

He was definitely not misquoted. He also talked about how lame Anthrax had become. This was 1987.

Treating it like a business means he is a pro. He works hard and plays the songs great. He is dependable. He doesn't smack talk other bands anymore unlike when he was young. But he's willing to play in bands he doesn't like all that much.

Testament (and Dethklok) are the bands willing to pay him the most these days.

I'm pretty sure I saw him say similar things about Death but I can't recall exactly where I saw that. The Testament stuff I know I have in my stack of old zines.

11. Slammed

Slammed Active Member

Even if he wasn't misquoted people change their minds. There is video docos of him talking about how much he likes all music, and how the extreme side of music was so much a part of his life that he wanted to play something else less extreme. Then there was an interview last year where he claimed his favourite music was the stuff he was making with his wife. Only months before that he said he loved playing the new Testament songs. You're taking one comment and suggesting he has remained gospel to that one comment for his career. I'm fine with people having assumptions and opinions but moulding everyone from the same mould, or never allowing people to break a mould because it suits a narrative is not fair because people change.

redfly likes this.
  12. Slammed

Slammed Active Member

Snot Ian? :)

redfly likes this.
  13. redfly

redfly Ruled By The Riff

Right. And so the ones that say metal is a family and without the fans they are nothing in interviews and on stage are liars? Of course there are exceptions and that seems to be the big bands. Although Kirk just had an interview where he stresses that music is about bringing people together.
    Yes it's a business. But it's not Walmart.. They aren't selling goods people need. This business is built on a connection to fans who are invested in their bands and the scene. You remove the family aspect of this and those bands are fucked. you're taking a couple artists and stringing it across the board. for every Scott and Alex there's a Doro and practically every member of Flotsam. Ozzy is another one who is always talking about his fans and I don't doubt his sincerity.
    I've been listening to thrash since 85 when I was 10. Don't see what that has to do with it.

Edit: Zetro is another one who has really impressed me. If you've ever watched his channel you know he absolutely does it for the fans. And loves and stresses the metal community.

#19073 redfly, Jul 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    Slammed likes this.
  14. redfly

redfly Ruled By The Riff

87 was along damn time ago.

Slammed likes this.
  15. redfly

redfly Ruled By The Riff

Hehehe. Yes.

Slammed likes this.
  16. Slammed

Slammed Active Member

I'd hate for someone to dredge up shit I said back in 87 and deliver it back to me today :)

redfly likes this.
  17. redfly

redfly Ruled By The Riff

Yes me too! Believe it or not, but I was not the exceptionally P.C. person you converse with today! :cool:

Slammed likes this.
  18. Slammed

Slammed Active Member

I'm not P.C today :) But 30 odd years ago before PC was a thing to adhere to we wrote songs like Die MuthaFuckers, Eat Shit, and all sorts of other wonderful topics :)

redfly likes this.
  19. redfly

redfly Ruled By The Riff

And the no one went to war because of it. The world didn't come to an end. Imagine that!

Slammed likes this.
  20. Neptune

Neptune Active Member

I will as soon as I find a worthy vocalist,like Redfly said NO MUNROE!Wait a minute Slammed ,maybe you could pull it off!!!

Slammed and redfly like this.