This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The Whining and Bitching Thread

Discussion in 'GMD Social Forum' started by waif, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Krow

Krow Garbage Connoisseur

I’m beyond frustrated with Lenovo. I have a Legion gaming laptop. Not top of the line but pretty good when it gets going. Lenovo has been badgering me about an update and I finally did it Friday night. Now my laptop seems to be stuck in a “boot loop” and will not do anything past the logo screen. Oh and Lenovo is basically unreachable rn because of covid-19. Oh and all computer repair stores here are closed. Currently a $1500 paperweight.

2. Slammed

Slammed Active Member

If it's a windows update, USB boot and roll back the driver.
    If it's a BIOS update, get the previous version from Lenovo, follow the instructions downgrade the bios. Most Lenovos have a setting to stop downgrading but it can be changed for emergency situations.

3. Krow

Krow Garbage Connoisseur

im going to have to do some reading I suppose. I have another crappy laptop in the house I can use and a USB for downloading
    shit to it.

4. Dak

Dak mentat

That sucks dude. What sort of update was it? I'm assuming not a Windows update since Lenovo was bugging you about it. Slammed is probably right though / and it's likely a bios update if you get stuck in a boot loop/not windows bugging you.

5. Slammed

Slammed Active Member

I've been selling Lenovo (among others) for years and while their phone support is fairly average, their online community is pretty good. Chances are you wont be the only one having the problem so check the forums for step by step guides. If you can remember the update number, ID, date of release, or anything else try and include it in your search criteria on the help forums because they are fairly populated with similar faults.

Dak likes this.
  6. Satanstoenail

Satanstoenail My Larpstyle determines my Derpstyle

Our oven stopped working. Thanks Coronavirus.

CiG likes this.
  7. Slammed

Slammed Active Member

You don't need to cook your meat anyway :)
    Just remember, no window shopping when it comes to getting a new one, go in get what you want an get out. Uncle ScoMo said so.

8. Satanstoenail

I rent, so there will be no oven shopping and I usually fix stuff around the house myself anyway rather than bug the real estate and end up with a rent increase the following week, but yeah the oven could’ve picked a better time. I’m going to have a go at replacing the element myself assuming that’s what is wrong.

9. Slammed

Slammed Active Member

I had to replace the oven a few years ago and in just a bog standard cheap shit Kleenmaid oven than the builder put in the bottom element was $75 and the top was $135. Some models are ridiculously fucking expensive and Australian stock on imported models is really hit and miss. Good luck.

10. Satanstoenail

Mines an old Chef fan forced, only one element. I’ve had a look and they go for about $30-$50.

11. Slammed

Slammed Active Member

Damn, if mine where that cheap I wouldn't have been traipsing around on a Sunday arvo looking for an oven.

Satanstoenail likes this.
  12. -CC-

-CC- Something in My Eye

Huh? A BIOS update that isn't done manually? When does that ever happen? I've never encountered a forced BIOS update in 20+ years of computing.

EDIT: Not trying to be a dick, just genuinely curious

13. Slammed

Slammed Active Member

He didn't say it was forced, he said it had been reminding him, I took that to mean he did at least part of it manually.

However last year I know there was a BIOS updates from Asus, Alienware, Lenovo and HP that came down with Windows10 Update. Depending on versions and setups some downloaded it automatically with the Windows Update and on reboot went straight into the BIOS update and screwed lots of user not prepared to see a DOS screen on boot up, but for most people it worked. Seemed to be one of those hit and miss things not all machines got and which probably shouldn't have even happened in the first place.

14. Krow

Krow Garbage Connoisseur

To follow up on this a bit more, I believe my BIOS is corrupted in some way because nothing I do at all will let me access the BIOS menu. None of my function keys will do anything at all, the NOVO button boots the laptop to the same Legion splash then sticks there. Doesn’t actually open the BIOS menu at all.

The only keyboard input that works (that I’m aware of) is ctrl+alt+del which just restarts the endless boot loop again.

15. Slammed

Slammed Active Member

Function F2 is the usual way into the Bios but I assume you've tried that.
    Where does the boot loop get to before it restarts?
    If it gets past the bios check and into software loading (i.e. Win splash screen) you might have a few options
    Win10: You can make recovery media from the MS website that should boot before the hard drive tries to load Windows.
    Win(x): A boot disk (USB or CD) should get you some kind of menu.
    If it doesn't get past the BIOS check Lenovo might be the only ones that can fix it unless you can get a new/old flash update to run.

16. zabu of nΩd

zabu of nΩd Free Insultation

That happens? Pretty sure the only time I've ever had my rent increased was the usual lease renewal hike. My property manager fixes all kinds of shit.

17. Satanstoenail

I've been at the same place for 6 years now and we've only had one very small increase since we've been here. There has been no lease renewal, but that's pretty standard from my experience. We just go month to month. To rent the equivalent to the house we're in with a fresh lease in this area is roughly $200-$300 more a week than we currently pay. I just pay my rent on time and don't bother the real estate and fix the odd thing around the house and hope it stays that way for as long as possible.

zabu of nΩd likes this.
  18. Krow

Krow Garbage Connoisseur

Unfortunate. I tried to make a bootable usb but that didn’t work either so I assume it’s the BIOS check where the hang up occurs because I can’t get any sort of bios function at all. From further reading it may need a new motherboard. Awesome.

19. Slammed

Slammed Active Member

Does it have a CD? Bios might not be set to boot off USB media if it does.
    If there is no sort of windows splash screen then it's a good chance it's a bios loop. Most bios loops should only take about 5 seconds before they happen, whereas a Windows loop would usually be 10-30secs type time frame.
    If it is a bios loops I guess it depends whether you feel comfortable opening it up. There is probably a few video tutorials on YT for the exact model, or a very close model that could show you how to get to the Bios battery, reseat the RAM etc. None of it is guaranteed but sometimes the silliest thing works.

20. Krow

Krow Garbage Connoisseur

No cd drive nah. The idiot that buys hundreds of CDs a year opted for the laptop he’d have to use an external usb cd drive with. Gonna play with it a bit today while I’m home with nothing to do and see if I can get anywhere. Feeling a bit hopeless without professional intervention at this point.

Do appreciate the advice though.