This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

They should hitch PRS

Discussion in 'Opeth (Archived)' started by Slaydon, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Caesar Metallius

Mike said something almost exactly like this a few years ago in Guitar World magazine.

2. Annihilat0r

Annihilat0r TRINITY WATCH IN AMAZING!

It's the GT-10, but I doubt they use it that much in the studio. They use a lot of effects in the studio too, of course, so I too doubt different guitars would make a big change in their tone.

3. NicholasDWolfwood

They used Strats back in the days of Orchid/MR iirc.

4. burntoast

burntoast Member

+1

Terrible, terrible thread.

5. Slaydon

Slaydon Member

Watch it!

6. KingVEE

KingVEE Member

PRS guitars are superior instruments, both tonefull and versatile. that said, i am less enthralled by the tone on watershed, it might be what mike envisioned but dull and muted isnt my thing.

7. Silent Dance With Death

Now that you mention it...

Mike's lead tone in the Lamentations version of Ending Credits had me convinced that he was playing a PRS. I was proven wrong when I actually watched the DVD and saw him playing a Les Paul during that song.

:erk:

8. Iki-ilkkuja

Iki-ilkkuja Member

Les Paul has more low end than a PRS Singlecut because of the sheer body mass and the slightly shorter neck scale.

9. Anarkissed

Anarkissed BOK CHOY!!!

If you're at a gathering or something, I don't see anything wrong with iPod docking stations. Lots of people have iPods and docking stations are handy since they can plug in their iPod if they happen to have a song/album people want to listen to. (Although, luckily, most of my friends aren't douchebags who turn off songs and stuff in the middle just to play their own stuff). Unless you have pretentious wanker friends who only strive for hi-fidelity audio wherever they are, nobody's gonna care about - or even notice - the quality being slightly sub-standard.

Also, I'd be curious to see how many people can actually tell the difference between a CD and an MP3 encoded at 192kbps.

Anyways, I've wanted to try a PRS for a while. Not many places here (Melbourne, Australia) seem to sell them. From what I've heard, though, I agree that they sound like a mix between a Strat and Les Paul. Their clean tones have a nice warmth but just enough of that nice bit of 'sparkle' to bring it out a bit more.

For the record, I'm an ESP fan. :loco:

10. burntoast

burntoast Member

ESPs are great. Mike has no fucking idea what he's talking about.

11. To rid you disease

opeth should start putting emgs in their guitars.

oh, and scope the goddamn mids!!!

12. Reelo

Reelo 5°170

Nooo! Nothing sounds worse than a distorted guitar with scooped mids. They contribute to the chunk of the sound. Without them, you'll get a thin chainsaw sound that's really annoying!

13. soundave

soundave Member

I've been stressing this point for a long time, and the answer is very few people. There was an unscientific test done on this forum a while ago that many people really sucked at, swapping lowest bitrate stuff for lossless and so on. Then they blamed it on faulty listening equipment. The very equipment they ALWAYS listen on. Most people simply cannot tell.

14. To rid you disease

holy, rly! :zombie:

and i might add i wasnt serious with the emgs either

15. Iki-ilkkuja

Iki-ilkkuja Member

EMG's are great for more modern sounding music than Opeth. If one requires completely pure cleans or the the most distorted tones, EMGs are the weapons of choice. However, Opeth isn't about being anything like that. More vintage tones are the ones for Opeth.

16. To rid you disease

ok, ok, ok, i understand. no more sarcasm over the internets!

and btw, emgs might be the type of some specific sort of dry and disted riffing but yea... for cleans? :S there are far more better for that... fender stock pups perhaps?

17. Reelo

Reelo 5°170

Well, I'm considering buying a USA Strat and slapping some Seymour Duncan Hot Rails into it, like Dave Murray from Maiden does. I've been playing BC Rich for over 10 years now, but my Warlock is the only guitar I have. I long for something completely different, yet a guitar that I still could use as backup for gigs. (In over 10 years of gigging, I never ever had to rely on a backup guitar, and if I had to, our other guitarist usually brings 3 guitars anyway...)

18. Annihilat0r

Annihilat0r TRINITY WATCH IN AMAZING!

piezos are probably the best for cleans, although I never played one, what I heard was fucking awesome.

19. To rid you disease

got a sd hotrail in neck position (hss setup jackon fusion), rly sweet warm and thcik lead tones. its notoriously bad for cleans tho. id keep the middle pup and then check around for a nice in bridge position, im guessing u want something quite different from the bc riches persumed emgs?

20. Reelo

Reelo 5°170

No, my Warlock is stock, except for the bridge PU where I put a DiMarzio Steve's Special. It seemed like a good idea back then, but I get a lot of feedback during rehearsals. Well, it's probably due to the fact that I'm standing only half a meter away from my amp, hehe, but still.

Anyway, I'm currently bidding on a nice Strat on ebay, but I'm only willing to pay a certain amount. I got married 2 months ago and I've better things to spend my money on. Well, not better, but more important, unfortunately... :erk: