This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

I Want You!

Join Symphony X and discover tons of other great Metal forums, sign up today!

Thomas Miller = Symphony X

Discussion in 'Symphony X (Unofficial)' started by Cogluotobusisletmesi, Jun 25, 2011.

1. KevinMoore

KevinMoore New Metal Member

Thomas Miller wrote music and lyrics to many classics songs of the band, so their influence can not be ignored, as well as his great bass perfomances.

The truth is that the composition of music in those records was signed by Romeo / Miller / Pinella in most songs and now only takes Romeo.

On the lyrics also i missing his contribution. This remind me a little to the discussión about the Kevin Moore years in Dream Theater and the change in the composition process, taking Portnoy and Petrucci the control in music and lyrics and emphasizing the metal dimension of the band.

2. Wander

Wander 10+2=6

The funny thing here is that someone on an another topic said that in a (fairly recent?) Lepond said that his favourite album was V. Guess he just doesn't influence the songwriting then.

I think it's overspeculating a bit when people say that the change of direction is just because of Miller leaving the band or something like that. Obviously every change in the line-up has an effect, but everything else has an effect as well. I'm okay with what they do nowadays, but to be completely honest, a tiny portion of metal music grabs me these days compared to how it was 5 years ago. I'm going to go with my own personal tastes going to a bit different direction from where the band is going as the main reason as to why I like a lot of the old stuff better.

3. maestro41

maestro41 Member

yeah man

4. maestro41

maestro41 Member

Do you think Miller had anything to do with The Dark Chapter,which got them started to begin with?

5. bigmachine22

bigmachine22 New Metal Member

Why doesn't everyone take a listen to some of the new Thomas Miller stuff and maybe we can make a decision?

http://www.myspace.com/525703681

I think the music isn't bad at all. The production quality isn't great, but I find it quite ironic that the lyrics on "Fear no evil" and "Thunder's Majesty" have a lot of the same flavor as old SX. Ex: words like masquerade, sin, etc. Yes Miller wrote a lot of the old SX lyrics, so it makes sense. However, considering that new SX (Iconoclast) has very similar themes (it always has, more or less), it makes me wonder whether Romeo and Miller are just obsessed with the idea of the masquerade, etc.

Thoughts?

6. maestro41

maestro41 Member

yeah, the last line of your quote made me think of the masks on dark chapter and V.

7. Detective Clarence Beauregard

While they are still my favorite band, I agree with most of these comments.

8. Detective Clarence Beauregard

I dig the music, even if the quality isn't particularly good. Definitely has a classic Symphony X feel. That singer, though... ugh.

If you guys haven't already, flip through the photos on Thomas's page for some old-school shots!

9. _Gentleman of_the Snow_

_Gentleman of_the Snow_ Prog' Drummer

I was clearly referring to the comment asking if we'd "lost our BALLS".

I don't want them to stick to anything other than prog. Prog is open to MANY different things. I don't see why any prog musician would have a problem labeling themselves prog.
    I never stated that I want SX to make another V. I want them to make another album of V quality

10. symphonyXjapan

Yeah the vocals are pretty "bleh". Almost sounds like he recruited Rod Tyler for the vocals..

11. PurpleDink

PurpleDink Member

This thread stinks of both cognitive dissonance and aporia. :eek: