This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

"Tight"-Control instead of Tone Pot

Discussion in 'Backline' started by wutzington, Nov 30, 2012.

1. wutzington

wutzington massive member

2. JeffTD

JeffTD Senhor Testiculo

I like this idea; would be really, really easy to do it externally (2 jacks, one pot, some capacitors/resistors) to test values beforehand without having to open up your guitar.

3. neptunian

neptunian Member

I've had that in my Schecter for a while. Because it's a passive circuit, the overall dB of the signal goes down when engaged, so you have to turn up the amp gain to compensate. And unlike an OD pedal it doesn't add compression, so the palm mutes aren't as crunchy. Other than that it works.

4. hsnyder

hsnyder Harris Snyder

Well this example doesn't occur in the actual guitar, but amptweaker pedals all have tone (high roll off post distortion) and tight (which sounds like bass roll of pre-distortion). It does seem to add tightness but you have to be careful with it. Basically for tightness (that isn't also emasculating) you want to set it so that it REDUCES the low end so that after the massive gain it is still there, it's just cleaner rather than being uber-clipped like the mids and highs. So it would probably better to have a low shelf rather than a high pass filter, but I'm sure putting a high pass filter in a guitar would be useful to add tightness at least across some of the pot's range (not trying to imply that tone knobs are useful across all of their range...). It just might be more versatile to have a low shelf... But cool idea

5. wutzington

wutzington massive member

Yeah an active circuit would be kind of cool, so you don't have to crank the gain as soon as you engage the lowcut.

6. Josh Burgess

Josh Burgess Member

They should really have tubescreamer circuits integrated into guitars and the front end of amps nowadays. They are such a staple of nearly every style of modern metal.

7. Trevoire520

Trevoire520 Member

This looks great! Think I'm going to mess with some values and just have it as a on/off switch rather than on a pot.

Totally agree with Josh that all amps should really have a tight switch on them. Would solve the issue of having a tubescreamer running into your clean channel all the time.

8. Wookieslayer

Wookieslayer Member

The Randall Satan has a similar feature, low and high end gain before the preamp's EQ (girth and grind).

9. RedDog

RedDog Humanoid typhoon

I was thinking of a mod that taps power input to a DC conversion adapter and installs the guts of aTS to a foot switchable boost button, and drills new spots for the tone controls, all inline with the input. It can be done, it's just labor intensive.

10. Trevoire520

Trevoire520 Member

Gave this a go, not exactly blown away by it. It's a pretty subtle difference, though I've only had a noodle around on amp sims and studio monitors so far. Maybe I'll notice a bigger difference using a real amp & 4x12.

Mind you, I NEVER used my tone controls so it's not like it's a bit loss. If I never use it I guess I'll just rewire it to be a killswitch instead.