This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Tony Harnell is the new Skid Row singer

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA' started by labrekk, Apr 7, 2015.

1. labrekk

labrekk Member

What do you guys think? It'a weird match, but if it means a return for the older, classical SR sound, that would be nice.

Harnell is a great singer that should do the old songs justice. Not sure that Harnell is a guy that will have them play to big crowds again though, as sad as it is given his abilities as singer.

The guys still have a beef with Sebastian Bach, that's for sure...

2. Comic Book Dude

Comic Book Dude Rockin'

I think Harnell is one of the best singers in rock...but he is a SINGER. I'm not sure if he has the grit and edge that's needed for Skid Row, especially the older stuff. Who knows...it'll be interesting to hear the results!

3. drmetal8

drmetal8 Graphic Design

I'll be the one to say it. Love Tony and Skids, but this is a bad match. It doesn't make sense to me at all. I don't see it lasting long and hopefully they will reunite with Bas at some point. As Darth Vader would say, "It is your destiny."

4. DarkOne

DarkOne Black Belt in Sarcasm

What an odd pairing. Harnell is amazing. But amazing with a completely different sound than Skid Row. That said, I'd love to hear him sing some of the old stuff.

Steve in Philly

5. Justin G

Justin G Member

This sucks. He's so much better than that band.

6. mëtålspëd

mëtålspëd Umlauts ist Krieg

Not a big Skid Row fan, or a TH fan... but I highly doubt the end product is going to be listenable. Too drastic of differences artistically. TH is better suited to some fruity Frontiers label band, and the Skid guys.... well.

7. General Zod

General Zod Ruler of Australia

Short of reuniting with Bach, does anyone really care who's singing for Skid Row? Tony is an excellent singer, but this is a band that's been on life support since the early 90s. If you're going to be a nostalgia act, at least do what QR did and get a singer who's a clone of your original singer.

8. Justin G

Justin G Member

Why did that description immediately have me reaching for my wallet? :lol:

9. edgeofthorns

edgeofthorns 24 Hours Ago...

I think you're spot on. This is going to sound negative, but I don't predict this working out too well. Harnell might as well go sing for L.A. Guns too!

~Brian~

10. ForeverProg

ForeverProg Member

If anyone thinks Tony's vocals will not fit Skid Row, go listen to TNT's song "Purple Mountains Majesty". He can grit it up just fine. He will nail the old Skid Row material.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT4fDOwlyOE

11. spag

spag I am a leaf on the wind

I honestly didn't know Skid Row was still around.

12. VenomGA

VenomGA At War With Stan

they haven't really mattered since Subhuman Race

13. The Surfing Alien

Strange choice , I agree. I am guessing geographic proximity has something to do with it.

14. PromisedLand

PromisedLand Master of Corgis

(A) I don't think Tony would be doing it if he couldn't sing the songs right. I would hope not, anyway.

(B) After 15 years of Solinger's lead vocals (25 for me, since he gigged incessantly around D/FW with his...not great.. eponymous band 'Solinger') anyone is better for Skid Row. Barry Manilow would be a good fit in comparison.

(C) I might actually consider dragging myself to one of their show now, and people in the U.S. will actually get to hear Tony sing live without going to NYC.

15. KingsGene

KingsGene God of Thunder

16. PromisedLand

PromisedLand Master of Corgis

Holy cow. I think that answers whether he can sing Skid Row songs.

17. General Zod

General Zod Ruler of Australia

Damn straight. Have you ever heard Manilow cover "Run to the Hills"? That dude has some serious pipes.

18. jaimek

jaimek incorrigible

Tony hits the notes, and he applies the appropriate amount of grit, but it's still missing something. I suspect that something is being a 20 yr old with an attitude (or an asshole complex, depending on who you talk to).

19. OdinsCourt

OdinsCourt Valhalla

My feeling is he tried to sing exactly like the original, and thus it sounds like a "bar band" type cover (a good bar band, mind you, but still a cover band).

I agree with Jaime...it's missing something. For me, that something is heart. He hits the notes. He is in time. He has decent timbre. But it just feels mechanical to me.

I'd be more interested in new material to see how he gels, as this "cover" doesn't do anything for me. If a band does a cover (I realize same name of the band, but let's face it - this is a cover) and tries to sound just like the original recording, for me 99.9% of the time, I'll just listen to the original (because what's the point of an attempt to completely replicate something already done before in studio format?)...