This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Tool (non-Opeth post)

Discussion in 'Non-Opeth Music Chat' started by gotham, May 22, 2001.

1. blade-bunny

blade-bunny Member

Wow, this thread is _REALLY_ old..

Never really heard any of Tool tbh. Maybe I should check 'em out..

2. Nasty-Fire

Nasty-Fire Discursion

Great band. Someone loving Opeth could easily like Tool.

3. Hox

Hox Superiorly grim and kvlt

Where is the Thread Necromancer, woodsmoke? GO FOR IT, I NEED TO SEE IT

4. funeralportrait91

yeah, all the more reason to necro this thread :rolleyes:

5. Bleakh

Bleakh Member

Danny Carey is the shit. He's such an artist.

The only thing that bothers me with this band is that they have some much really weird pot-smoking fans. Some dude once told me that he admitted himself to a mental hospital for a while because he took some mushrooms and listened to Tool.

6. Wander

Wander 10+2=6

This comment is so fucking funny in the context... Think about it! He's criticizing people from 7 years ago, because he tought that they posted a thread in the wrong place! And at the same time bumps this thread... It's fucking hilarious.

7. Belligerent

Belligerent Greekus Urungus

Tool have nothing in common with Opeth.
    They have been beating a dead horse since AEnima, after that album they went to same ol same ol.
    It's the same tired formula.

8. Arasmas

Arasmas New Metal Member

just want to make sure everyone reads this hilarious post

9. Kenneth R.

Kenneth R. Cináed

Move this shit to the non opeth forum.

10. ReverieUnfold

ReverieUnfold Psychotropeth

Well, while this thread is on the first page I might as well contribute something to it rather than offer suggestions for its fate I can't personally fulfill and excuse them as another post.

Mikael Åkerfeldt and Maynard James Keenan were both born April 17.

I agree with you -and- the notion that Tool are better musicians than Opeth. I too feel that Adam Jones is a better graphic designer than guitarist, and that he is neither as creatively genius or as technically adept a guitarist as Åkerfeldt/Akesson/Lindgren. However, while Åkerfeldt may have more overall vocal talent (growl/sing shifts) than Maynard James Keenan, his clean vocals alone are not as skilled or consistently reliable as Keenan's. Furthermore, whatever I might like to believe, Danny Carey crushes every drummer to play for Opeth-- in terms of technical ability and in my opinion creativity too, though Martin Lopez shines pretty close at the latter. Martin Mendez vs. Justin Chancellor? Up in the air.

See, the most hilarious thing about this post is that taking mushrooms and listening to Tool is about who took the mushrooms, not about Tool.

11. NicholasDWolfwood

You realize that's ultimately futile, correct? This thread is 7 years old. I'd vote for more like a closing.

12. Lateralus14

Lateralus14 New Metal Member

I've been into Tool for about 5 years and Opeth for like 1 but anywho, I pretty much agree with ReverieUnfold on just about everything in that post. Regarding Mendez vs. Chancellor, its a very hard comparison to make as one plays faster Opeth stuff with fingers and one plays slower Tool stuff with a pick, but overall I personally like Tool's bass because they make it more prevalent in the music where you really have to listen for some of Mendez's sound; on songs like Forty Six and Two, Schism, The Grudge, or Reflection, the bass is pretty much like a second guitar at parts. And for Adam, given all the power chords he incorporates into his songs, I'll admit he's not as technically skilled as Mike, Fredrik, or Peter, but lets go ahead and give him a little credit for putting out some pretty awesome, albeit basic, stuff without a rhythm guitarist's help.

Regarding the bands as a whole, let's not forget how friggin tight Tool is live, but hey, let's also not forget which of them continually writes 11 minute songs that keep you interested the whole way through.

13. Lothlorien

Lothlorien Towards the Great Sky

there's no comparison. mendez is the better bassist IMO.

14. RollMyCoaster13

RollMyCoaster13 RollMyCoaster13

tool and opeth are both great bands. end of story

15. Bleakh

Bleakh Member

I lol´d. See, that might the point of the whole thing. I was talking about weird Tool fans. This guy told me that the music made him go crazy, not the drugs.

16. Jester-Race

Jester-Race Member

NONSENSE.

17. Twelveby5

Twelveby5 No Carrot For Hopefuls

wow! Seven years ago i was jobless.

18. Black Session

Black Session Heretic Misanthrope

I'm surprised at some of the tool-bashing here all of a sudden, while there have been many statements in favour of tool in the past ... furthermore, Lateralus and 10,000 days was/is on Mendez list of favourite albums, and Mike has stated that a tour with Tool would be awesome.

Despite what many say, I prefer Lateralus and 10,000 days to their older stuff, which seems all a bit of the same to me. Tool are not a band I listen to on a daily basis, it happens I don't listen to them at all for very long times, but then I have my phases when I do listen to them regularly. I do consider them one of the better bands of our decade.

And also: Tool isn't as serious about the music as they pretend to be often. It's a bit of an image as well, and especially James Maynard Keenan is known for his absurd sense of humor.

19. ozric

ozric Member

bottom line: both bands contain very talented musicians. Personally, I believe that Danny Carey is the better drummer of the two, however Axe's and Lopez's drumming fits Opeth well, so no complaints there. Also, i don't see why everyone bashes Adam Jones...the man has written some memorable riffs, and while they may not be as complex or 'fun to play' etc. as Akerfeldt's, keep in mind that he is doing the job of lead and rhythm; probably why he uses lots of distortion, feedback, and 'simple' barre chords- to create a fuller sound. Also, tool is a 3 piece (+ mjk), while opeth has 5 musicians, so stop comparing the two, judge them on their individual merits, and once you have done that, let this thread die!

20. Belligerent

Belligerent Greekus Urungus

Just realized this. btw this thread should be shut