This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Top 50 Albums of 2015

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA' started by Harvester, Nov 29, 2015.

1. templeofmax

templeofmax Member

So based on your review of Bell Witch I should give up any hope of having Paradise Lost or My Dying Bride at the fest?

2. nailz

nailz Member

Not gonna lie, I dance a little when running to Universe on Fire.

3. zinescene

zinescene Member

This is probably my second favorite thread of the year behind the annual ProgPower band announcements. I have to admit, I feel like I do a fairly good job of keeping up with the new releases and yet there’s always some music in here that have me scratching my head and think how the hell did I miss out on this. From this years list that would include The Chronicle Project, Io Earth & Bell Witch. My initial thought when hearing those was holy crap this is great. (Granted I haven’t had a chance to check out Karnataka, Melechesh & Subterranean Masquerade). Likewise, I really enjoy reading everyone’s favorite list because we all have such diverse taste.

I have to say this is a pretty solid list, there’s not many surprises to anyone that reads the forum on a regular basis. Bands like Gloryhammer, The Paralydium Project & Zierler got a lot of love from the members when there were threads posted on their releases. But like I said there’s always a few on this list that slip by unseen and unheard and that’s what makes this thread so much fun.

I’m looking forward to hearing other people’s thoughts on bands that might have been omitted from the list to see what else I missed out on.

#23 zinescene, Dec 1, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  4. imaskinbeater

imaskinbeater clinically insane drumnut

Glenn, I know you love AOR. Don't you love Skintrade? Just curious....

5. zinescene

zinescene Member

Glenn had While Heaven Wept play the festival so I think there's always a glimmer of hope for another doom band. I know some people wouldnt pigeonhole them as doom but IMO that's where their roots are firmly entrenched in). If I had 1 last wish I'd love to see Isole play. They would just crush it in a live setting. Thier release Bliss of Solitude was one of my favorite CDs of 2008 regardless of genre.

#25 zinescene, Dec 1, 2015
  6. Harvester

Harvester The Promoter

Haven't heard a note or don't remember it if so.

7. Mardoch

Mardoch Defender of the Universe

Woo! I did a remarkably good job keeping up this year. Only a couple out of those 50 were unknown to me, and several were already on my list of bands to further investigate. A lot of my top 10 are in Glenn's 50, I think. And I second what Oblivion Ocean said about the new Soilwork. When you get another itch for Melodeath you should reach for it, because it's really a great album. It's a worthy successor to the monster The Living Infinite.

I feel like I accidentally called Shattered Skies as a booked band when I asked about how it affected their set (though I was clearly out of my mind because I was thinking they were playing this year's fest).

8. labrekk

labrekk Member

Yes, Skintrade's 2015's Scarred For Life is a very good hard rock/AOR album with plenty of crunch IMO, as was 2014's Refueled.

9. templeofmax

templeofmax Member

Cannot go wrong with Alfonzetti

10. Azrael LenGraden

Azrael LenGraden Lake Of Fire

Glad to hear that you are high on Orden Ogan, you know how I feel... let's get them back over to PP!!!

11. hoodaman

hoodaman Is it live or is it Dave?

This thread is fantastic for learning. Today I learned that I really REALLY like Sound Struggle. I also really REALLY like Native Construct's album.

Edit: And Teramaze. That's a 1 listen instant hook. Stunning album.

#31 hoodaman, Dec 1, 2015
    zinescene likes this.
  12. Justin G

Justin G Member

Nice to see Melechesh getting some love. I was just saying a few weeks ago how much I'd love to see them on the PPUSA stage.

13. imaskinbeater

imaskinbeater clinically insane drumnut

And a Katy Perry song lol

14. jingle.boy

jingle.boy The changing of the worrd is inevitabre!

Well, I'm only 23/50. Some are still on the list of things to check out; some I know aren't my cup of tea; others I'd never heard of - and will put 'em on the list. Some glaring omissions (imo)

Subsignal
    Forgotten Suns
    Soul Secret
    Spock's Beard
    Impelliteri
    Lande/Holter
    Level 10
    Manimal
    The Poodles
    Phantasma
    Stratovarius
    Trivium
    Angra (though some argue it was released in 2014)

Surely you heard some of those... and to not make the list? Would be curious to see what other albums DIDN'T make the cut.

It's been a good year for music.

Davide Guidone likes this.
  15. Harvester

Harvester The Promoter

Its simple....those things that are your cup of tea replaced your glaring omissions.

And for the record, I did hear all of those on your list. A couple of them would not have made my Top 100. Different strokes....

G.

P.S. Angra was on my 2014 list.

16. KingsGene

KingsGene God of Thunder

Sorry to be picky, but the album is "Curse Of The Damned". Loves me some Night Demon!!!

Otherwise, thanks for your efforts.....always gives me more stuff to look for!

#36 KingsGene, Dec 2, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  17. Harvester

Harvester The Promoter

Fixed.

And it would have been funny as hell if you started a second thread about it.

G.

18. KingsGene

KingsGene God of Thunder

[​IMG]

19. Bamafan

Bamafan Member

I look forward to this thread every year. Glenn, and the other members here, point me towards some great music that I've missed. I'd like to mention one disc I haven't seen receive any love from this board: Neal Morse's The Grand Experiment. The 25 minute closing track, Alive Again, is my song of the year. For those of you concerned about his penchant for preachiness, you have to reach really far to label any of this disc "preachy". The song "Agenda" is a clunker though.

20. lane_miller

lane_miller Space Ghost

Glenn, There are a number of releases on your list that sound great that I hadn't heard, so PayPal is going to get a little workout.