This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Uriah Heep first U.S. tour since 2001

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA' started by esa, Jan 20, 2010.

1. MetalSpice

MetalSpice A slave who forever rocks

BOC was one of the first classic rock bands I ever got into, thanks to my Dad's awesome record collection.

Anyway, you may be in luck Jason.
    They are playing in New Lenox on Sept 4th according to their website. Looks like it may be a Fest type thing.

The problem I have with Suburban Summer Fests is that (at least in my past experiences), the majority of the people that see the show stand around all bored until the band plays a song they recognize.
    Last year at the Ribfest, while seeing Heart, these girls kept yelling at the band to "Play their hits!". Then got all giggly when they played "Magic Man".
    Give me a break.

I'm sure it will be the same for this show when they play "Don't Fear the Reaper".
    Sad.

2. War Ensemble

War Ensemble Enos, You Dipstick!

Except people that are not very familiar with Blue Oyster Cult will be yelling "needs more cowbell" even when they are not playing "Don't Fear the Reaper."

3. ScottG

ScottG Member

Their latest, Wake The Sleeper is a thoroughly excellent album. Uriah Heep at ProgPower??

4. J-Dubya 777

J-Dubya 777 It NEVER ends

Back in the day, he was hard to beat....I'm talking between 1978-88....
    Just before the dinosaurs died...:lol:

I'll cast a vote for that!

5. modernwizardry

modernwizardry I want stout!

I really dig the albums In the Grill of the Mountain King and Levitation. Very groove spacey rock.

6. modernwizardry

modernwizardry I want stout!

Wake the Sleeper is amazing! I'd see them at progpower!

7. Pellaz

Pellaz Tigron of Immanion

Oh yes indeedy!

Wish they could play more often in this area, but they typically play fly-in-fly-out festival gigs and rarely road-tour. Eric from the band is a pretty good friend o' mine going back to the Mike Moorcock Fan Club days.

True. If you have a chance to see 'em, it's best to take it. Even if it's at a Chili Cook-Off or a balloon festival. :)

I don't quite have 50 of their albums, but I probably have 25 between vinyls and CDs. :kickass:

Those people must die.
    Painlessly if necessary.

:Smug:

8. BenMech

BenMech student of the d'eh

The Byron era of Heep is great (well, not 2nd album Salisbury) and the newest era is pretty mighty. Wake the Sleeper was a comeback worthy of more attention than it got here.

Also, big BÖC fan and Hawkwind/Hawklords/Robert Calvert fan.

What's all this about Van Halen?

9. raising_iron

raising_iron Member

^^^Not Salisbury? Yeah, I know, its the whipping boy of the Byron era, but High Priestess and Lady In Black alone are worth the price of admission, one of the few older bands I've never gotten to see, hoping they come close to me so I can make a trip, Wake the Sleeper is a necessary purchase of any Heep fan, classy from beginning to end.
    Let's rank the Byron era:

1) Demons and Wizards
    2) Look At Yourself
    3) The Magician's Birthday
    4) Very 'eavy, Very 'umble (or S/T)
    5) Salisbury
    6) Sweet Freedom
    7) Return To Fantasy
    8) Wonderworld

and best non-Byron album, ABOMINOG, hands down!

10. esa

esa Member

I can understand where you're coming from, but then again, no:

Salisbury, their sophomore effort in 1971, delivered the following:

* Production that hinted at the glory of Demons and Wizards and Magician's Birthday but took a temporary nosedive (in terms of production, not songwriting) on Look at Yourself (LaY has July Morning, Heep's Stairway to Heaven.)
    * Opening track (on the Euro release) Bird of Prey, an underrated proto-metal gem. Hoping to hear it in the U.S. set list
    * Lady in Black, globally their best-selling and most-recognized and most air-played track by far. The U.S. market is a notable exception to the name and melody recognition of Lady in Black (that said, I hope they drop it from the U.S. set list.)
    * Salisbury, the 15-minute title track, competitive and beyond with anything that the 70s-prog giants (Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, Jethro Tull, Procol Harum et al) produced, capped off by a blistering Mick Box wah-wah guitar solo
    * On the European release, *zero* filler tracks - The Park, Time to Live, and High Priestess - unlike the revered classics D&W and Magician's Birthday
    * On the U.S. release, a minor disappointment in the form of one filler track that replaced High Priestess as track 1 of side 2

I'm all verklempt.