This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Varg Vikernes was released on parole

Discussion in 'Non-Opeth Music Chat' started by Space Butler, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Nasty-Fire

Nasty-Fire Discursion

Every ages are old enough to be locked up.

2. NicholasDWolfwood

He's changed his opinion on Nazism so many times that it's hard to tell whether he really is/was a Nazi, or was just doing it for the obvious media attention.

Whats actually ironic is the fact that many people in that scene showed disgust for Euronymous after he died. Now, and then. Talking about how he was childish and how while he "lived" his black metal persona, he still effectively pandered to his parents (for example, shutting down Helvete when the "inner circle" was gaining press. further note that the "inner circle" never existed, as stated by both Vikernes and Faust.) Euronymous sent death threats to other bands in other scenes, even, which members of that scene at the time have always denounced as being childish, stupid, etc.

And for the life of me, I cannot figure out why so many people are saying how he should rot in jail. Snorre got out after (I believe it was) 8 years and I don't remember there being an uproar. Nodtveidt got out after killing someone and there wasn't an uproar. Faust killed someone and got out, wasn't an uproar. But oh no, Varg gets out and he should be rotting in jail or should have gotten the death penalty.

Tough. Norway has a vastly different culture from the rest of the world, and their justice system is included in that. 21 years is the maximum sentence there. He did his time, they felt that he's able to return to the outside world, and that's that.

He had a part in the specific scene to Norway, yes. Not BM on a whole, though.

But even so, it's hard to call the BM scene anything but a joke now when there's hundreds of Darkthrone clones who are doing absolutely nothing to further the scene. It's pretty much stagnated save for the bands who are actually doing their own thing ie DsO, BAN, Katharsis, Kathaaria, Negura, etc etc etc. If you look at the global BM scene as a whole, you'll find maybe a couple hundred bands doing something unique - whereas Darkthrone clones (and Burzum clones, for that matter) are a dime-a-dozen.

That's what I was referring to.

3. Lateralus14

Lateralus14 New Metal Member

Plus saying he can't dislike the BM scene because he was influential in the scene is like saying the guys from Black Sabbath have to like Slipknot and KoRn and shit because they're metal.

4. Space Butler

Space Butler Varg stabbed first

I think this may have something to do with it:

And as a side note, I think that the people who put him in jail in the first place cared more about the churches he burned than about him killing Euronymous.

#64 Space Butler, Jul 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
  5. Nasty-Fire

Nasty-Fire Discursion

That's a nice smile. :)

6. Alteredmindeath

Alteredmindeath Wasteland Survivor

like in all genres of metal there is clone bands, only the best will prevail. I don't recall Varg ever doing power metal vocals, or playing lead guitar. Safe to say his new album might sound like some of those bm clone bands, or will he prove he is a truly original inventive artist.

7. NicholasDWolfwood

varg actually does play lead guitar on all burzum records, there's plenty of leads on them (as opposed to "solos.")

wouldn't surprise me if his album sounded like burzum, because well...he is burzum. but will it sound like a half-assed version? no, because he created his sound.

8. Alteredmindeath

Alteredmindeath Wasteland Survivor

I was refering to lead solos, I have heard Burzum.

9. Lateralus14

lol so playing guitar solos is innovative?

10. Nasty-Fire

Nasty-Fire Discursion

Who cares about innovation :err: ?

11. Lateralus14

This guy does.

12. Sad Madrigal

Sad Madrigal Happy

I don't care about him as a person, but his music is unique. Albums like "Det Som Engang Var, Hvis Lyset Tar Oss and Filosofem are classics.

13. pero_o

pero_o New Metal Member

"In October 2003, Vikernes failed to return to his low-security prison in Tønsberg, Norway after having been granted a short leave. He was found riding in a stolen Volvo car, which, according to the media, contained an unloaded AG3 automatic rifle, a handgun, numerous large knives, a gas mask, camouflage clothing, a laptop, a compass, a Global Positioning System, various maps and a fake passport (it is thought that Vikernes came to be in possession of this equipment by means of a military barracks). For this thirteen months were added to his sentence, and he was then moved to a maximum-security prison in Trondheim. He was subsequently moved again, this time to Tromsø Prison." - from Wikipedia

If he really had all those things in his car after basically escaping from prison, I'd give him a hell of a lot more than 13 extra months...who knows what he would do with all that stuff... Ofcourse it says "according to the media" so it might be just a load of bollocks.

I don't even know why I'm posting in this thread, since I don't really care about his music. I guess Burzum is one of those love-hate things (like Vegemite :D)

14. biggsy

biggsy New Metal Member

vegemite is all love, alright buddy?

15. Wander

Wander 10+2=6

Varg's views of world are weird and crazy at times, but I gotta say I like some of the music.

Basically, I don't have a problem with him being free. I doubt he's going to do something stupid. Will be interesting to see what kind of music he can come up with at this point.

16. pero_o

pero_o New Metal Member

You are an Aussie, so your opinion on this matter is invalid ;)

17. Addicted

Addicted Blaze In The Northern Sky

I believe it was self defence.

I suspect his new album will be folk of some sort....

18. Stilgar

Stilgar Berzerker

I believe that he believed that it was self defense.

19. Nasty-Fire

Nasty-Fire Discursion

I believe that the guy above believed that Addicted didn't believe he believed it was self-defense, but to be honest, I'm having an hard time trusting all of you scums.

20. neuroticandroid

hmmm, wasn't it something like 23 stabwounds? including several to the skull. i don't know about anyone else, but that doesn't really sound like self-defense to me.