This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Virtual Audio Cable for Mac?

Discussion in 'Backline' started by MetallyGuitarded, Nov 27, 2008.

1. MetallyGuitarded

MetallyGuitarded He whom thou art not

Hey folks, I know there's a program for PC called Virtual Audio Cable and I know what it does, but is there something similar for MAC OSX? Preferably OSX v.10.5.4-ish?

You might recall posts about me trying to get an original M-Box and/or an M-Audio Firewire 410 to work with my friends MAC G5. We tried everything we could find on the web, even loaded a v.9 version of MAC OS because it was 'tested/proven' and that didn't even work.

At this point we're saving up for something else, god only knows what, but we still have the M-Audio Firewire 410 to use for a while if only we could get it to work.

I've gathered from reading around that PreSonus stuff was supposedly MAC friendly and we're looking at the $150-$250 range for either PCI/USB/Firewire. I am leaning towards the Line6 TonePort UX2 because they're cheap and abundant. My buddy wants to just get something like a 8 track Yamaha HD stand-alone multi-trackm which he has seen for around $200. Currently it's 2 guitar players and a drummer and we've been using line outs from both amps and a Kick and snare/OH mic, with those 4 channels mixed down to stereo via a cheap mixer and into the G5. I can't seem to convince my friend to buy something like a FirePod 10. Yet we are struggling to make intelligible demos and are eventually looking to add a couple musicians.

Our last 'free' resort was to use multiple cheap PCI/USB sound cards and a program like Virtual Audio Cable to go between the multiple interfaces and Ableton Live or Cubase. As far as he and I can tell, Ableton will not recognize more than one interface/audio device so we're hoping to fool it with a software solution that will.

You can spare me the 'Quit fuckin around and get the FirePod' lectures, I've said the same to my friend... I think he's more guitarded than I am.

If you have any other redneck/retarded notions as to how we could pull off multiple sound cards or how to get that POS M-Audio 410 working, I'm 70% water... er, all ears. Well, one of those is true.

BTW - My single 8 foot long guitar string is going on sale soon! Buy now and get them in time for next Christmas!

2. EdwardPayne

EdwardPayne Member

Hey man, I'm not sure what you are looking for.. But do you want to connect multiple audio devices to your mac and simulate it as it was only one?

If that's the case. Check this out.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1215

If not, I'm sorry to waste your time..

3. MetallyGuitarded

MetallyGuitarded He whom thou art not

That is actually exactly what I wanted to try! Thanks Payne. That's probably a pretty basic thing for a Mac user to know but since my buddy is obviously not much of a Mac guy and I'm a PC guy we were kinda stumped.

I googled my ass off and I was amazed that nothing like Virtual Audio Cable existed for Mac other than 2 programs that did it on a strictly app to app level. That's cool that Mac OSX lets you do that. Anyone know if there's a way to do that same thing on a PC? I have a couple soundcards I'd like to try that with and I already know they'll both work in the same machine at the same time.